VR6 axle swap 'How To'

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I'm outside trying to do the vr6/1.8t axle swap but ran into a issue. The inner 108mm flange I understand is bigger to support the axles but splines is also a different size and wont slide into the tranny, did anyone run into this problem or am I doing something wrong ???

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Did you check the edges to make sure none of the splines are burred? If they in fact came from another 5spd, they'll fit.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I thought the 1.8T Beetle S were only available with a 6 speed?

That would explain the wrong flange.

You should be OK with one from a jetta 1.8T.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Did you end up getting the proper flanges?
Yes I did and the wagon is up and running beautifully. I really can't believe I made that mistake assuming the beetle (s) was a 5spd. Good thing I had another ride and I'm lucky the salvage yard just got in a vr6 with decent axles.
Lesson learned for sure..

bajan

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Anybody have a set of 100mm flanges I can get. I am using my old 5speed in my mk1 caddy alh swap and need to go back to 100mm from 108mm. I no longer have my stock flanges.

Give me a holler!

white out

TDI
1.8T
Not sure if it was posted within the past 10 pages.

For the passenger side axle, I found that removing the lower mount for the sway bar link made getting the axle in and out simple. I did not jack up the suspension or remove any other suspension/hub components.

Also, great write up. It was very helpful.

Mykl8

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI 5spd, 2015 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Bingo its was from a 6spd my bonehead mistake I notice it was a stick shift at the salvage yard and didn't give it a second thought.

bajan
I did the exact same thing!

5 speed on the left and auto? or 6 speed? on the right.

5 Speed

NOT 5 speed lol

The bolt heads and lengths are slightly different as well, threads are the same though so I'm sure it doesnt matter what ones you use.

The flanges that I got from a VR6 Jetta are labled 02A

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I just updated my Beetle Road Racer . But as was looking up the axles I saw in 2004 Golf VR6 GTI HD axle 271 MR HD so I installed them . After 6 laps I blow apart the Left inter CV joint.
They are 1 inch to short.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I just updated my Beetle Road Racer . But as was looking up the axles I saw in 2004 Golf VR6 GTI HD axle 271 MR HD so I installed them . After 6 laps I blow apart the Left inter CV joint.
They are 1 inch to short.
I believe if you're just swapping flanges and axles, you need either mk4 12v vr6 from 2000-2002 or any 1.8t with the 5spd tranny should do the trick.

cbman18j

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI (First Diesel)
If you attempt to jack up the passenger side control arm, jacking alone isn't enough. I had to add a 100+ pound dead weight above the passenger fender the axle just fell out. In order to reinstall I put the 100+ pound dead weight (me) back above the passenger front fender and used my feet to push the axle back up. A helper would make this easier.

Not sure if it was posted within the past 10 pages.
For the passenger side axle, I found that removing the lower mount for the sway bar link made getting the axle in and out simple. I did not jack up the suspension or remove any other suspension/hub components.
Also, great write up. It was very helpful.

drklawz

TDI
2002 Golf HB, 4dr
final word?

Hey gang-
Finally looking at doing this while the tranny is out for other work. I have an 03 MkIV Golf, ALH 5spd.
I have the flanges, bolts and seals - I just need to make the final purchase on the CV's.
Best leads I've seen in the thread:
- mk4 12v vr6 from 2000-2002 or any 1.8t with the 5spd (I'm thinking the 1.8t is going to be more available?)
- raxles has some awesome builds, but the price is painful - Firming the pricing
- I saw that there was a Peloquin 80% kit floating around... still on their website, but it doesn't show it for the 02J tranny. Anybody tried it? I've got an email in to sales.
-Did anybody ever get clarification on the hollow vs. solid vibration problem? I saw this recommendation: VR6 for the left (driver) and 1.8T for the right
Any feedback is welcome!