ABS light

HamtramckDiesel

TDI
2002 VW GOLF, 5SPD, Black
So, my ABS light used to come and go. If it would come it would only be on for 15 mins or so and then randomly turn off. Now it is on permanently and I have the 283 ABS light code. I replaced the fuse. Is there anything I should try before replacing the sensor? Is it easily replaceable?

Thanks

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If the sensor has several years on it, just replace it. The sensor is essentially an iron core with a LOT of fine copper wire wound around it. The coil senses the changes in the magnetic field caused by the tone ring. If any moisture at all gets into the core (osmotic moisture incursion through the plastic does it; salt does not help) then the core rusts and can kill the coil. The expansion caused by the rusting also serves to wedge the <bleep>ing sensor in the hole in which it resides and makes removal a <difficulty>.

Fortunately, the sensors, unique to each side in front, are not terribly expensive, but the r&r is, given the labor that will be required for removal.

Good luck. It is not pleasant this time of year, if your weather is like ours is just now. Hopefully you at least have a garage in which to do the job.

Cheers,

PH

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Don’t even try to get one from the salvage yard, you will destroy it trying to remove it.
Buy one from one of the trusted vendors on the site and replace it with a know good one.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The essential tools for removing a wheel sensor. Hammer, drift punch, drill, small round file to clean up the hole. Those tools don’t lend themselves to parts reuse. If your car is from the Deep South maybe the sensor will slide right out but for less than $30 save yourself some aggravation and just buy a new one.

https://www.idparts.com/abs-sensor-front-left-optimal-a4-p-509.html

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Ya just get a new part.. the old one can be destroyed getting it out, easiest way as Tdijarhead said. If you break the bolt holding it down, don't worry just get the old one out and push the new one into the hole(usually tight) and use some silicone to tack it in place.