240mm O2J Clutch

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Anybody know of a source for a 240mm clutch kit for my BEW? The difference of a 1/2" in diameter is miles comparatively. I would rather a bigger disc than a thrust bearing-eater/leg exerciser of a much larger clamping force. Heavy SMF and sprung hub would be nice...:)
Thanks!
Douglas

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I don't think you'll like what it does to the synchros, they already can't stand the stock unsprung hub (216mm?) disc's MOI when you're over 4500RPM

some guys use 7.25" ceramic clutches, and mine has a lighter pedal than stock, but a heavy flywheel for a 7.25 is not something you'll find on the shelf anywhere (and you already seem to know that you want as much FW mass as you can stand to run)

Engagement is extremely harsh, I've shattered a few engine and transmission mounts, torn the dogbone mount bolt out of the trans case, broken some (marginal, welded together) axleshafts and forgetting to rev match a downshift will put your head through the windshield. Don't think an o2j's gears or case would hold up to that for very long.

ETA: also, I think they went to a larger starter ring gear diameter with the 240mm clutches, so finding a starter that'll work might be the biggest trouble with fitting a 240mm clutch into the 02j's bellhousing.

Last edited:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I would hope to find a modified 228mm flywheel that would fit a 240mm disc and PP. However, it seems like there is not a large set of suppliers with such things waiting on their shelves now.

+4000 rpm shifting is not going to be an issue...LOL It does look much more plausible that I will just have to live with a larger clamp load( go fast/aftermarket PP ) and the OE-sized clutch.

When I got my '90 Cummins it had a 5-puck ceramic ahead of the NV5600. It was happy with a 3rd gear, heavy throttle launch. Gentle driving in traffic...not so much. The HO600 clutch it now sports is very well behaved.
cheers,
Douglas