Looking for mechanic / shadetree in greater NYC area

Futureman

Veteran Member
Hi guys,

I've got a 2001 Jetta that I'm looking to have significant work done on. Things like TB / clutch / brake pads & rotors / power-steering leaks. I feel like I'm getting screwed on prices here in the city.

Do any of you guys know a good mechanic that is within greater NYC transportation (Metro North / LIRR / NJTransit). I'd be willing to drop it of for a up to a month to get all this stuff worked on.

Like I said, I'm not opposed to a good private mechanic. I can probably go without it for up to a month if that helps. I'm hoping I can trade distance from NYC for a lower price.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Can't help unless you can deliver the car to the Seattle area. You probably don't want let someone learn about TDI's on your car. Even a run of the mill professional gasser mechanic can cause a lot of expensive damage to a TDI.

Shadetree Mechanic: A hobbyist mechanic who works on their own vehicles, often in their driveway, and often causing more harm than they repair.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Let's see veteran member needs a mechanic away from the city. You've heard of trusted mechanic's list here
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044
If you can do without for a month maybe you could go farther out. Names that come to mind, Hevster in NJ and Marquette Automotive in PA. Have no idea how far away from NYC. Whoever you choosee do your own due diligence. If these guys are still too much look for somebody to do the non tdi specific work like brakes and suspension.

Last edited: