Replaced brakes, noticed what looks like failing tie rod and have front-end crunch!

JPuck

I just replaced all four sets of brake pads and rotors on my 2002 Golf TDI with around 60k miles, with help from various FAQ's around here. And thanks to everyone because it went perfectly! The rotors even came off without any problems at all.

But while I was replacing the right front brakes, I noticed a rubber bushing on what I think is the tie rod end all squished out and nearly torn out. The picture is below. Does this need to be replaced ASAP? And how hard is this to do?

For the last 20k miles I've been having a kind of crunching sound from the front end when I go over road imperfections at really low speeds (0-20mph). It comes and goes, tends to be more pronounced in warm weather, and happens on any subtle road change... no pothole needed. Also, if it's a day when it's making these sounds, I can get it to "crunch" by applying the brakes at low speed and getting the car to rock forward. It's not related to the brake repairs I just did since the sounds started way so before I replaced them and are still exactly the same with new pads and rotors. 10k miles ago I had the car looked at and supposedly the mechanic couldn't replicate the sound that day and looked at all of the tie rod ends, control arms, etc, and nothing was wrong at the time. Any suggestions? Is it worth compressing my springs and looking at the upper suspension mounts? BTW, the car usually won't make any sounds going over big road surface changes (into parking lots, potholes). Oddly, it pretty much only does it when the car is rocking forward or back in a subtle manner.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
sounds liek trans or motoor mounts making the crunching noise u describe or lower control arm bushings. Probably a good idea to change the tie rod. If its not loose now it will be b4 too logn with the road elements getting in there

JPuck

Thanks antsrcool. I wish it was more consistent... problem is, it's really obvious on days when it's doing it. But I notice it maybe one day out of 3 or 4. And that makes for a poor diagnostic situation.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
That outter tie rod with the loose boot will eventually die a death from dirt intrusion. Sometimes you can find a new boot that will fit in an auto parts HELP line. Is it worth the effort ? Maybe, maybe not. If you had wobbled that wheel hub and felt the ball and socket in the tie rod, you could have ascertained if there was any slack or not. No slack is good. Even a tiny bit of slack is no good.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Just replace it, it's going to need to be done soon if it isn't already bad. You can do just the outer tie rod ends and you can choose weather you want to do both sides or not. It's like a $20 part, easy DIY, although you will probably need an alignment (you could count threads though?)

If you replace and don't hear the noise anymore, you know what it was.

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
the whole LCA rebuild is pretty easy if you have a table vice... that tie rod end is toast... check www.tdiparts.com for a good deal...

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Tie rod ends are relatively cheap, $16. Don't bother with just a 'replacement' boot. You already have water, dirt, road salt, etc. in there. This is your steering, your safety, and the safety of others! Just replace the bloody thing!

You will need a pickle fork (ball joint separator); On mine, I had to use a pnematic hammer w/ pickle fork to get it separated. Apparetnly OEM at 139k miles.

HTH

Tony

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
or you can just leave the old nut on there loose, and hit it with a hammer...