Improve Clutch Pedal Feel?

JediJoker

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Or rather, add some, as there is basically none stock.

Even having owned this car for six months now, and driven it off-and-on for the past seven years, I still probably stall it about once per month on average. Coming from an A6 2.7T, I'm used to being able to feel the clutch engagement through the pedal. On the SportWagen, the only indications of engagement are auditory and seat-of-the-pants. The clutch pedal is just limp and lifeless. Is there a lot of extra rubber damping in the system? Is it overboosted (if it's hydraulic at all)? What's the deal?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The DMF doesn't have a easily detected engagement point, but it's there. You'll get used to it, eventually. Stalling it has more to do with the tuning for emissions compliance. Tune will fix that.

JediJoker

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
The DMF doesn't have a easily detected engagement point, but it's there. You'll get used to it, eventually. Stalling it has more to do with the tuning for emissions compliance. Tune will fix that.
The A6 has a dual-mass flywheel, too, but engagement is communicated very effectively. Somehow, I don't think that's the problem. And while I am getting used to it, I'd rather just fix it so it works like it should.

As for stalling, I'm not sure how much the tune is factoring into it. I'm pretty sure it's just my dumb feet not feeling what they're used to and generally expect in any car. Even the notoriously strange pedal feel in a classic 911 is more communicative than this car.

mike837go

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I've operated many manual tranmission cars, trucks and tractors.

IMO clutch pedal feel is overrated. The trick is to listen to the engine.

As you lift your foot, the engine will 'notice' the load and slow down. At that point, us drivers have to choose how much fuel to add to keep the engine turning at about the same speed until the clutch is fully engaged.

Starting off uphill is a special challage since the brakes are locked for 2 seconds after you let off the brake pedal.

And the TDI's computer will not allow operation below 600RPM. Where an 'old school' engine would cough and buck, the TDI will simply shut down.

You just gotta get used to a couple of really wierd quirks. The random behavoir of the hill holder is the tougher one.

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
Fiddling with the seat height and angles can make a difference in feel. If your leg is too high or too low it can be difficult to modulate the clutch.

JediJoker

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
And the TDI's computer will not allow operation below 600RPM. Where an 'old school' engine would cough and buck, the TDI will simply shut down.
That could certainly be a factor.

Fiddling with the seat height and angles can make a difference in feel. If your leg is too high or too low it can be difficult to modulate the clutch.
I have the seat set as a compromise between control and comfort, so I'd venture to say that's not the issue. Compared to any other manual I've ever driven, the pedal is just numb.

JediJoker

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
you can disable the hill hold feature with vcds, that helps a lot assuming you have a history driving manuals without it, otherwise a tune really is the answer, no more violent stalls.

JediJoker

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
you can disable the hill hold feature with vcds, that helps a lot assuming you have a history driving manuals without it, otherwise a tune really is the answer, no more violent stalls.
I actually like the hill hold assist. Disabling that or getting a tune won't change the pedal feel, though.