www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old October 28th, 2018, 19:14   #1
wilder11354

Default front brakes replaced

2014 passat se, 67889 miles, inner pads worn down to last 1/16", got some Bosch pads and replaced. One inner pad came with wear sensor, yet my car has no plug for it, pulled sensor out of the pad installed. All's good, twice the mileage+ of what front pads them Jeep GC gets.

How long to rear pads need repacing?
wilder11354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 06:12   #2
740GLE
Veteran Member

How much meat is left on the pad? That will determine how long they will last. My mk5 went 130K on rear pads before they needed to be replaced, fronts were fine.

Our '12 was still on stock pads front and rear when it went back to VW with 80K.

Other VW's (MK5 and Mk6) eat rear pads vs fronts so I'm kinda surprised you replaced fronts first.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2018, 07:28   #3
Lex Tdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

Just replaced my fronts a month ago and had my rears fixed yesterday, was about gone at 150k, obviously lots of highway driving so mine number are quite normal.

I was getting a pretty nasty squeal.

My only other experience was mk4 and you never replaced the rears on those things...
Thanks to Paramedick (Bruce) for being my local Guru for over a decade!
Lex Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 18:46   #4
Jb22

I came here searching for brake related issues. Today, the dealer quoted $485 to replace front brakes. Honestly, they are pulsing. Dealer states that although the front pads and rotors have plenty of meat, they need to be replaced. I'm baffled, this rig has only 31k highway miles on it. My JSW had 100k on it and didn't need brakes. Anyway, I'm stumped. I'm better at stereos and mileage than brakes. (My mpg is still in the same range as always, so I don't believe I have a hung caliper). What questions do I need to ask?
Jb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 05:22   #5
740GLE
Veteran Member

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...an-1k0615301aa

or

https://www.idparts.com/front-brake-set-nms-p-4988.html

And if the meat on the pads is good, they should be able to be reused.

That or find a local place that will resurface the rotors, prob the same price as those new rotors.

Ours is the same, a decent shudder under highway braking been that way since 15K (28K now 80% highway). I mark it up to this being a NOS and the dealer not replacing the brakes as they "visually inspected fine". I'd rather not even go back to the dealer and waste my time with them and toss on new rotors and be done with it.
Old November 8th, 2018, 16:47   #6
Skimax
Veteran Member

I just did front brakes on our E-Golf. They get rusty due to lack of use with the regenerative braking. I got some new Bosch rotors from Amazon but had the original ones resurfaced for $20 each for the next time, much cheaper then buying new.

Our 15 Passat SEL, NOS May 2017 had rusty rotors. The dealer said they braked it hard to remove the rust as they were instructed by VWNA. At least they were honest about it. No issues so far but we only have about 16K on it.
Old November 9th, 2018, 05:24   #7
740GLE
Veteran Member

that what I think they did with ours, repeated hard braking, hot rotors, parked before cooling rotors down, pad material bed into the rotors == "warped" rotors that has developed as that pad material continued to be deposited on the high spot.

How'd you find a shop to turn the rotors? you just call meineke, or VIP or some other chain, or was it a local place?
Old November 9th, 2018, 12:46   #8
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

I am past 160,000 miles and still have not changed my rear pads. changed my fronts at about 100,000 miles. Last spring when I removed my snows, the rears were about half. putting my snows back on this next week and will be checking them again.
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 16:46   #9
Skimax
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
that what I think they did with ours, repeated hard braking, hot rotors, parked before cooling rotors down, pad material bed into the rotors == "warped" rotors that has developed as that pad material continued to be deposited on the high spot.

How'd you find a shop to turn the rotors? you just call meineke, or VIP or some other chain, or was it a local place?

The NAPA store in Littleton NH has a machine shop. I got them done there.
Old November 9th, 2018, 16:56   #10
Jb22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...an-1k0615301aa

or

https://www.idparts.com/front-brake-set-nms-p-4988.html

And if the meat on the pads is good, they should be able to be reused.

That or find a local place that will resurface the rotors, prob the same price as those new rotors.

Ours is the same, a decent shudder under highway braking been that way since 15K (28K now 80% highway). I mark it up to this being a NOS and the dealer not replacing the brakes as they "visually inspected fine". I'd rather not even go back to the dealer and waste my time with them and toss on new rotors and be done with it.
Thanks for this. I did ask my dealer as I also bough NOS last year, and he told me that the brakes were replaced prior to delivery. I believe him.
Jb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2018, 13:07   #11
Skimax
Veteran Member

at the very least they should have pulled the rotors off and removed the rust. I think the pads would be OK. Oh well ours are OK still at 18mo. I'll be giving them a good look at when I put on the winter tires soon.

When I brought the E Golf front rotors in the machinist said they were delaminating which was obvious but only on the inner face, the piston side. There was plenty of "meat" on them 22mm is the minimum and when they were resurface they ended up 25.5mm
Old November 13th, 2018, 06:45   #12
740GLE
Veteran Member

Yeah this is Quirk were talking about, I was actually surprised they changed the fuel filter. The car was still kinda filthy when we signed for it Sunday, night last day of April, hand prints on the A and B pillars.

I should have known they were pushing the sale to meet the monthly quota and pushed the car through the "VW refurbishment" process.

I may try these, I remember hearing that they do require some maintenance, but I figure once a year when I change the snows for summers would be a good time to lube them up.

http://www.tyrolsport.com/braking/ty...t-for-vw/audi/
Old November 13th, 2018, 21:16   #13
Skimax
Veteran Member

We looked at Quirk too but couldn't get the deal/timeframe we wanted so ended up at Walker VW/Mazda in Barre VT. That's where we had bought our 13 SE that we sold back when we picked up our 15 SEL. They are the closest VW dealer to us as well. Service seems pretty good but our 15 was overfilled with motor oil when it was delivered and the battery died after about 5 months. They did throw in some perks for the inconvenience when they towed and replaced the battery.

BTW the brakes looked just fine when I put the winter tires on yesterday. Good thing as we had about 6" of very heavy wet snow today.
Old November 14th, 2018, 05:28   #14
740GLE
Veteran Member

I'll be tossing the winter deeps on tonight or tomorrow, sounds like were getting around 4-6" Thursday to Friday.

Not sure if I'll toss the new rotors on, I'll see how I'm doing on time.