CW - billet
In 49.6mm
Ex 67.5mm
Extended tip 70mm
Housing A/R 0.60
TW
In 59.5mm
Ex 50.5mm
It has billet compressor wheel, anti-surge, water cooled CHRA.
It comes on 2013 Audi A7 3.0d Bitturbo 230kw

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Anyone know of any stock application small frame ball bearing turbos?
Mid 40s compressor inducer as an soft upper limit. Housings don't matter, I've got a lathe and milling machine.

Just getting rather sick of replacing thrust bearings in my HP turbos. GT25 does not like gulping down pressurized air. Nor does TD04. Figure a ball bearing will live longer, and a stock application would be preferable because junkyard sourcing is something that I do.

ended up with a VF27 off a JDM subaru sequential setup
37/48mm compressor, ball bearing, and best for me: $150 shipped over from the uk
I'll add in some turbine dimensions once it shows up.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Okay, it showed up, and by golly is it tiny, like a gt1749, little tiny baby thing. Never played with a BB turbo before, is it normal for the bearings to have a "preloaded ball bearing" feel to them? Not quite crunchy, but you can certainly feel that they're an interference fit in there.

IHI VF27
compressor: 6+6
inducer: 37.15mm
exducer: 48mm
tip height: about 5mm
comp housing inlet OD: 46mm
comp housing outlet OD: 36ish mm, beaded, with addit'l 16mm hose barb for BOV or something?
all 5 bolts are at different spacing, so compressor cover clocking is a 'drill and tap' affair
compressor inlet has three barely perceptable equidistant slots in it right before the inducer, with a phillips screw inline with them from the outside, maybe some sort of water injection ports and cast-in manifold?
turbine: 8 blade
39.3mm inducer
34.9mm exducer
tip height: about 5mm, with a "extended exducer tip compressor" looking inducer
Just eyeballing the volute size, it looks rather disproportionate, which makes sense being it was fitted to a 2.0l gasoline motor. Maybe 7-8cm^2?

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
The phillips screw holds the inner part of the compressor housing, which contains the wheels dimensions and contour. Nothing to do with water injection or such, the compressor housing is simply made of the outer "shell" and the inner part, so they could make different wheel sizes to fit, just by changing the inner part.

The "extended tip" on turbine is a so called mixed flow turbine design, which, like the name says mixes radial and axial flow over the turbine wheel.
This makes a special design in turbine housing necessaryto guide the exhqaust gas flow correctly over the turbine wheel.
To make it work, the blades of this turbine have a very different design than a conventional turbine as you will have noticed.
The advantage of this mixed flow design is a higher flow capability compared to a conventional axial flow turbine, therefore they could make the turbine wheel smaller which then also gives better spoolup and transient response.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Kinda figured it was something like that, as such small features would be a casting nightmare... and the parts look die-cast. Was kinda hoping for 'japanese space magic', heh.

On the turbine that's pretty neat, so machining some random turbine housing to fit is a bad idea, noted.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Do you have better pictures of the compressor side ? I am looking for a modern wastegated turbocharger to fit on a 1L vw up engine for a turbocharged project to keep me busy this winter, this looks like a nice turbo although a bit on the big side ! Thanks for sharing...

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Do you have better pictures of the compressor side ? I am looking for a modern wastegated turbocharger to fit on a 1L vw up engine for a turbocharged project to keep me busy this winter, this looks like a nice turbo although a bit on the big side ! Thanks for sharing...
Look them up on ebay, got mine from over in Derby for $135, and half of that was supposedly shipping. Probably be about 40gbp for you. They had like 4 of them listed, and the advert has the pics of the compressor side

No wastegate here, they had an external on them from the factory.

IonutTurbo

TDI
Golf mk4 4motion
Some interesting finds in my occasional visits at turbomaster.info:
  • GTC1749VZ 836825-0003 FPT
  • GTD1749VR 839765-0001 (i.e. 4th generation VNT, roller bearings) for FIAT;
  • Several more alternative GTD1752VRK variants to the BMW ones, now also used by FIAT, Ford, Jaguar-Land Rover.
All can be found here:
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/catalogs/model.php?base=garrett&pagina=GT17V

Also:
  • GTB2956VKLR (typo, it's a GTB2056VKLR) 816841-0002 MERCEDES
  • Many more GTD20s from multiple OEMs now available
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/catalogs/model.php?base=garrett&pagina=GT20V

Other nuggets:
  • GTB2259VKLR 822222-0003 MASSERATI
  • GTD2355VZ 819872-0001 PEUGEOT
  • GT3276VJLNRU 795657-0005 FORD
  • GTB3576KNRV 830725-0001 HINO
  • GTB3782VA 813016-0001 CATERPILLAR
  • GTC4088BKNV 841805-0004 IVECO
  • GTC4502BKNV 826592-0003 IVECO

Edit: DSGT is the designation for the 2-stage bi-turbo range:
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/catalogs/garrett.php?serie=DSGT

Example for the Audi 3.0 bi-TDI:
GT3067S+GTB1749VK 825965-0006 AUDI
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/catalogs/model.php?base=garrett&pagina=DSGT30

More specs to all of these (e.g. wheel dimensions, trim, blade configuration, housing A/Rs, etc.) appreciated for those who come across these.

825965-0006 AUDI
GT3076S Turbine wheel specs :
59.2 /50.2 , 9blades , Tip Height 9.5

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z5hqwir86Lk0Z3I1f9azHXCNpW38yQfm
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TS1sfN_DpSM532pqNtA11TedET4QBXK8

I have here some spare parts for it , if anybody needs extra information let me know.

BR

hartge

TDI
TDI
Hello,

i want to replace the gtb2060vklr turbo,because I can not update it,(Mercedes v6 cdi)what turbot would you recommend? amg turbina and billet comp wheel
it is,can anyone know better?

Thanks,,

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Hello,
i want to replace the gtb2060vklr turbo,because I can not update it,(Mercedes v6 cdi)what turbot would you recommend? amg turbina and billet comp wheel
it is,can anyone know better?
Thanks,,
Why u cannot upgrade it?

hartge

TDI
TDI
Why u cannot upgrade it?
The gtb2260vklr turbine wheel I do not know how enough upgade the 400 + hp
to access,one billet copmressor wheel added it..

Someone tried to give it to him vgt turbo to external wastegate?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
One can put 51/49 turbine, and wider vnt ring/cage from 2260. (Requires a bit of machining but not undoable). Then put compressor of choice. Something like 50/65

If you sell the 2060 and start from 2260 vklr its a bit easier.

hartge

TDI
TDI
One can put 51/49 turbine, and wider vnt ring/cage from 2260. (Requires a bit of machining but not undoable). Then put compressor of choice. Something like 50/65

If you sell the 2060 and start from 2260 vklr its a bit easier.

There is a Milling compressor wheel Exducer:65.00mm Tapered tip exducer:69.83mm and AMG 51/49 turbine wheel, but just not fit vklr,
I do not know how,would be better.. VKLR turbine not upgrade bigger bearing and shaft?

Thanks Rub87.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Sure it can be made to fit. I ran these turbos since over 2 years, although with mixed results in terms of oil sealing on the turbine side. But nonetheless roller or journal bearing. The oil sealing has always been bit tricky with the 51/49 wheel. Although if your lucky and it works, it works pretty damn good.

IonutTurbo

TDI
Golf mk4 4motion
Sure it can be made to fit. I ran these turbos since over 2 years, although with mixed results in terms of oil sealing on the turbine side. But nonetheless roller or journal bearing. The oil sealing has always been bit tricky with the 51/49 wheel. Although if your lucky and it works, it works pretty damn good.
I think it is worth trying with gap piston ring , seems to be a much better choice than standard piston ring .

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
If they dont leak oil onto the exhaust yep its a better choice.
I still think the journal bearing vk or vzk is less trouble. Simple and reliable.

IonutTurbo

TDI
Golf mk4 4motion
If they dont leak oil onto the exhaust yep its a better choice.
I still think the journal bearing vk or vzk is less trouble. Simple and reliable.
Sure strandard journal bearing are more simple .
But the spool from vkrl .... is something that deserves everything :))

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Could be the tune but i did not see any advantages of the ceramic bb in 2 tested turbos 63 and 65mm.. Fact is that well set JB makes better boost than smaller vklr i had.

I make 500nm at 3000rpm and vklr on PD with tons of smoke makes same torque at 3500rpm.

I think the setting of the turbo makes the difference. Not the bb.

hartge

TDI
TDI
Thank you for your answers..I think I'll try 2260 vklr turbine wheel,nozzle ring and billet wheel,for a little time..then it will be a pattern (2060), larger turbina wheel make to orig 2260 vklr..

IonutTurbo

TDI
Golf mk4 4motion
Last edited:

Turbo Z

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A2 mercedes c270
Thanks Ionut!
Did you for got something useful information about VNT in 1858-970-0003?

yo87_racing

TDI
1.9tdi AVF
Hello guys. Need an opinion. I need a bigger turbo for 1.9tdi. Is it a bad choice gt2260v from bmw e60/e90? Is it too old, and maybe more laggy than gtb1756/gtb2260 ( audi or bmw). Thanks! :)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Hello guys. Need an opinion. I need a bigger turbo for 1.9tdi. Is it a bad choice gt2260v from bmw e60/e90? Is it too old, and maybe more laggy than gtb1756/gtb2260 ( audi or bmw). Thanks! :)
It would be best to go with a more modern turbo and at the minimum, I'd go with either a GTB1756VK or GTB2260VK depending on what mods you have done to your TDI.

IMO, I'd go with the most current turbo you can buy for the best performance you can get out of a turbo and that would mean going with either a GTD1752VRK/GTD1756VRK or the larger GTD2060VZK.
Here are a few GTD1752VRK/GTD1756VRK options:
https://www.mecevo.com/parts/garrett_turbo_gtd1756vrk_with_77_billet_wheel.html
https://gottuned.com/product/gtd1752vrk-billet-wheel-hybrid-turbo-vacuum-converted-and-welded-onto-stock-1-9-2-0tdi/
https://gottuned.com/product/gtd1756vrk-billet-wheel-gen-ii-hybrid-turbo-vacuum-converted-and-welded-onto-stock-1-9-2-0tdi/

If you wanna upgrade to a GTD2060VZ, it will require quite a bit of customization to make it work on a 1.9L TDI.

yo87_racing

TDI
1.9tdi AVF
Then I think, I will choose one of the gtb series. 1756/2260. I was thinking that using gt2260v it might not be the best choice, being old technology, but I needed at least one more opinion. But what about KKK 2260 from audi? I saw it's full of them, even more than garrett? I was looking for garrett and found almost only kkk. Are they failing at high boost, or they cannot even load hi boost? Thanks!!!

GOFAST

TDI
vento afn
Just getting rather sick of replacing thrust bearings in my HP turbos. GT25 does not like gulping down pressurized air. Nor does TD04. Figure a ball bearing will live longer, and a stock application
What PR is your LPT pushing ?
And how many milles did your HPT last ?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
You can get ball bearings in the GT25 frame size. Probably just need to get the CHRA and move over the wheels and housings.

Garrett's Z-bearing technology may help too.

The permanent solution is to bypass the HP stage at the top end.

Last edited: