www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old November 4th, 2018, 10:57   #1
DangerBoy

Default 2008 C6A6 Avant Sline + AEL 6 Speed

Hi everyone!

As I mentioned in a couple other threads, including my original swap thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=373925

I have a 2.5L AEL with a 01E 6 Tdi speed. The entire car fully functioning only someone rear ended me and damaged the chassis beyond repair.

Today I'm going to go look at a 2008 Audi (C6) A6 Avant S-line with the 3.2L V6 and tiptronic transmission. There was this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=476747

where member "Ogsv" from Norway was considering swapping the AEL into a C5.

I already have the newer-than-the-AEL T4 AXG Tdi Ecu and wiring harness, as well as VNT turbo and manifolds. I also have a Sprinter Turbo that seemed like a good match for the AEL, though it does have a servo style actuator which I'm not sure if anyone has adapted well yet. If not I'm sure I can machine some new parts to make the OEM AXG actuator components fit.

Before I even consider this swap seriously I need to ask everyone out there if they have ever tried to interface gauges from a car as new as the C6A6 to something like the AXG Ecu?

On my C4 it was the gauges that had the preset setting that could be selected by VAGCOM to run a 5 cylinder engine. I can only assume the C6 gauges wouldn't have software to support that config since a 5 cylinder never came in that car.

If anyone has some insight I may consider the swap but only if the electrical isn't a giant nightmare. With the car having so much CAN Bus I can only assume it would be much easier to wire everything but if the software doesn't want to recognize each other it is a non-starter.

Option 2 is to just get the EU parts for either a 4 or 6 cylinder swap from a C6 and try to sell my AEL as is to someone else that wants to swap it over to another car or have for yet another project.

My company does 3D scanning and 5 axis machining so any custom made parts for the swap is no problem at all.

Let me know your thoughts!

Dave

Last edited by DangerBoy; November 4th, 2018 at 10:58. Reason: Spelling
DangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2018, 12:28   #2
mercedeslimos

TBH I'd say that's a non runner. The C6 has so man embedded CANBus systems it's hard to even change parts without major coding hassles. If you could get an EU-spec 2.7 or 3.0 TDI and full loom that would be the only way
mercedeslimos is offline   Reply With Quote