Oil consumption TDI vs. Beetle?

misoless

TDI
none
I'm in the market for a 2010 Jetta TDI, but first wanted to ask all the experts here about "normal" oil consumption. According to the dealer, on the 2002 Beetle that I've had for 8 years, 1-2 quarts in 3-5K miles is "within normal limits". Does the TDI engine have the same problem?

(Apologies if I'm repeating something already answered here, but I couldn't find it in the search. If someone knows where the answer is in these forums, please direct me.)

Thanks!

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Most tdi's are pretty good at keeping oil. Mine at 147kmile burns about a qt in its 10k mile oil change period. Top off when changed, it's on the add line when 10k is up. From reading here, that's pretty typical. I've had friends with gasser beetles and jettas, they did seem to use some oil. One burned quite a bit, but they overheated the snot out of it once.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
misoless said:
.. Does the TDI engine have the same problem? ...

It really is not a problem. It is within normal for every new car I know of. Engine design has changed and the usage of that much oil is considered normal today. Something has changed in engine design.

It does not mean shorter engine life, but it does mean you need to check your engine oil more often.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Some 2.0 8v gassers had oil rings installed wrong at the factory. That's what caused their 1 to 4 quart oil usage over the 10K mile interval.