Timing Belt Anxiety and Buy Back timeline

rhansen25

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagon
My 2011 Jetta SportWagon has 94k and is overdue for the timing belt....If I can keep this car for another 12-18 months I would consider replacing the belt. Otherwise I'll sell it back ASAP. I like my TDI and like the idea of holding out long enough to buy a 2018 model year car. Also keeping the TDI longer has the benefit of letting my daughter learn to drive on the TDI...Bumps and scrapes wont matter anymore. Any advice is welcome...I'm curious of how much risk i'm taking at 94k without a new belt.

Blindsider

TDI
10 JSW and 15 Golf dsg
I'm in the same boat but at 121k miles. With the parts from IDParts sitting in a box. Plus my girls car is at 104k and more likely to be fixed if possible. Decisions, decisions.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I'm at 121,000 and not concerned at all considering the interval was changed to 130,000. Even so, I wouldn't change it if I were over. It's not like it's going to break at 130,001. Famous last words I guess but I'm usually not one to worry and things usually work out.

AmandaSch

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I'm at 121,000 and not concerned at all considering the interval was changed to 130,000. Even so, I wouldn't change it if I were over. It's not like it's going to break at 130,001. Famous last words I guess but I'm usually not one to worry and things usually work out.
Have you decided if your doing buyback or fix yet. I'd prefer to do the fix and keep the car and cash.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I would do the service. In the unlikely event that the belt does break before the car can be turned in for buyback, it will almost certainly (at least) trash the valvetrain, and the car will effectively be a planter, unable to run under its own power without expensive repairs, therefore inoperable and won't be able to be driven to the buyback location, which is a specific condition for buyback.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Have you decided if your doing buyback or fix yet. I'd prefer to do the fix and keep the car and cash.
I'm going with the buyback. I think it's a pretty decent offer considering 2010s were selling for less than $10k before Dieselgate. Also, my car has been flawless and I don't want to risk a potential HPFP, DPF, or turbo failure, let alone the timing belt service cost. I was wanting a new car anyways.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
I have a 2009 with 129k miles, timing belt looks original. I'm not driving it between now and October. I may even rent a Uhaul and tow dolly and tow it within a block of the dealership, start it up and coast downhill to Findlay VW lol...$100 insurance against a timing belt failure.

Candymaker

TDI
-
I'm at 1202xx miles right now. Still DD-ing it. Gently. Believe me though i'm already in contact with my sales guy about a GTI and plan to be there ASAP when all the stuff gets green-lit. Will not be doing timing belt or DSG flush. I did inspect the belt and it looks to be in very good condition. No cracking or anything. You could convince me it's a newer belt by appearance.

turtleboy

TDI
2013 Golf 4 door
I'm in the same boat. I just had an issue with my car at 105k and thought it was the timing belt or fuel pump. If the timing belt was to fail before the service mileage, are they still going to ding you on the buyback?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
If the timing belt breaks, you will not be able to drive it to the local dealer.

(which it seems today is a prerequisite for any $$ from VW.)

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I have a 2009 with 129k miles, timing belt looks original. I'm not driving it between now and October. I may even rent a Uhaul and tow dolly and tow it within a block of the dealership, start it up and coast downhill to Findlay VW lol...$100 insurance against a timing belt failure.
Use your complimentary 3 years roadside assistance instead of UHaul.

ecupip

TDI
2012 TDI
HAHAHA that is funny. They do build in a margin when selecting service intervals. I would guess at least a 10% margin which would come to 13,000 past the 130K interval....it can probably go a lot long than that even.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
HAHAHA that is funny. They do build in a margin when selecting service intervals. I would guess at least a 10% margin which would come to 13,000 past the 130K interval....it can probably go a lot long than that even.
I agree it's pretty humorous. Some people are prepared to lock their priceless cars in rubber lined underground bunkers until buybacks begin. It's just a car folks. Worry less, drive more.