Our 2013 NMS Passat Keeps Getting Speeding Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
You can break the law with any car. A VW TDI doesn't fool radar or cameras.
What he should have said was, "I would have thought a TDI driver was on the lower end of "get-me-in-trouble" when it came to drivers.

Is that more clear?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
This HAS to be the most entertaining thread in a long time. Thanks, OP, for starting us out.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Hmmm... I recommend RADAR absorbing paint for starters. Top with a coat of invisibility finish. All should be well until you try to find your car at the mall.:eek:

Last edited:

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Then leaving...
I wanted to see where this thread would go. I purposefully didn't post. I was hoping for helpful suggestions and some jokes too. I got both.

As for the camera cars where I live. They are parked in School zones where the limit is 50Kph. Both tickets were on major roads with lots of traffic at the time. In one school zone, the school is 1 block (300m) away from the school with a soccer field and a baseball diamond between the school and the road.

The camera cars get changed every year. I guess all the winter idling beats them down ;) They also ticket 7 days a week, 365 days a year. During summer break, Christmas holidays. It doesn't matter if kids are at school.

There is talk of dropping the school zone speed limit to 30Kph. That will generate the city a lot of money.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I live by the 5 mph rule. I've never been pulled over for doing 5 mph over the posted speed limit, however, I've missed speed limit signs and been pulled over and given a ticket for that. Luckily Texas still allows radar detectors, so both vehicles have one and both have saved us from tickets.

Also, my speedo is right on according to my GPS.
Get an amateur radio operators license, and you are legal in all 50 states, since Federal law preempts state. Police radar is in a shared band with ham allocations, so the radar detector is a Federally permitted receiver. A number of states that banned detectors at one time or another had this exception written into thier laws (I have seen it firsthand in Indiana code) - it's real. Trying to educate OpieBob on the side of the road may not be the most fun you will ever have, but you *WILL* prevail in the big picture. (In Indiana, we carried the code excerpt in the glovebox.)

- Tim

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I wanted to see where this thread would go. I purposefully didn't post. I was hoping for helpful suggestions and some jokes too. I got both.

As for the camera cars where I live. They are parked in School zones where the limit is 50Kph. Both tickets were on major roads with lots of traffic at the time. In one school zone, the school is 1 block (300m) away from the school with a soccer field and a baseball diamond between the school and the road.

The camera cars get changed every year. I guess all the winter idling beats them down ;) They also ticket 7 days a week, 365 days a year. During summer break, Christmas holidays. It doesn't matter if kids are at school.

There is talk of dropping the school zone speed limit to 30Kph. That will generate the city a lot of money.
Well if you know all this why not just slow down rather than fight it?
I know it's all about how law abiding citizens are being unfairly ticketed:rolleyes:
Just like everything else you might not like.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Uhhh...maybe...but it's going to make the kids safer.
30KPH is 18MPH. Sorry, but there have been MANY studies including those done by school systems that show that Speed limits any lower than 25MPH do absolutely no good as far as making things safer. The only thing they do is increase revenue, and piss off the unlucky citizen that has to drive through the zone everyday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
So who has gotten the most tickets so far in their Passat?? Ive gotten 2 speed camera ones which I never paid, 1 warning, 1 speeding ticket and was stopped once more for speed but then the officer left before ticketing me for a bigger fish!

macoombi

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
13 clicks over is bull****. They must generate a lot of revenue. I wish they'd bring back photo radar here in Ontario but only for school zones and residential streets.

Deepwater6

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium
You have a choice......drive the speed limit and obey the laws or buy a Bell radar detector.

There's a trick I used in Canada. Bell sells an excellent radar detector that the police can't pick-up. The second trick is to keep it out of site (low on the dashboard, up in the visor and keep the cord conceited (not noticeable) and most of all, NEVER APPLY THE BRAKES when your detector goes off with all lights and warning on - this means you are right on top of the source and going to get nailed for sure.
The best thing to do is be in traffic and never be the lead vehicle. Never drive in the left lane only to pass and move over. All these tricks I used on my trips in my Supra from Regina to Vancouver and East through Ontario. I even had a broken unit under the seat to give the cop if I got caught saving my rear view mirror Bell that was wired into the vehicle and not noticeable.

Look around and you can pick these up cheaper in the US.......mail order is your best bet and deal. This unit you can find for about $250 or less.

https://www.beltronics.com/store/product.php?productid=16211&cat=251

One more thing.....some Bell units will inform you of red light camera's too! Look at the site. To this day I only buy Bell and have tried all the rest, most anyway. Here in Houston we the people voted down the use of red light cameras in Harris County. I rarely use mine in town.

Good luck and don't let them points disappear!

Last edited:

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I pretty much drive the speed limit. I don't have to manage any of these 2 over, 5 over rules. Having a high mileage diesel car helps me to keep that trend going. I'd rather get better fuel mileage going somewhere than getting there faster.

I'm 39 and my one and only speeding ticket was when I was about 19. They claimed to have clocked me doing 42 in a 25. But there is no way that the car that I had at the time could ever have gone through the s-curves at the speed they supposedly clocked me at.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
You have a choice......drive the speed limit and obey the laws or buy a Bell radar detector.

There's a trick I used in Canada. Bell sells an excellent radar detector that the police can't pick-up. The second trick is to keep it out of site (low on the dashboard, up in the visor and keep the cord conceited (not noticeable) and most of all, NEVER APPLY THE BRAKES when your detector goes off with all lights and warning on - this means you are right on top of the source and going to get nailed for sure.
The best thing to do is be in traffic and never be the lead vehicle. Never drive in the left lane only to pass and move over. All these tricks I used on my trips in my Supra from Regina to Vancouver and East through Ontario. I even had a broken unit under the seat to give the cop if I got caught saving my rear view mirror Bell that was wired into the vehicle and not noticeable.

Look around and you can pick these up cheaper in the US.......mail order is your best bet and deal. This unit you can find for about $250 or less.

https://www.beltronics.com/store/product.php?productid=16211&cat=251

One more thing.....some Bell units will inform you of red light camera's too! Look at the site. To this day I only buy Bell and have tried all the rest, most anyway. Here in Houston we the people voted down the use of red light cameras in Harris County. I rarely use mine in town.

Good luck and don't let them points disappear!
I really love this train of thought. What device to buy to break the speed limit laws and not get caught. You don't need a radar detector just watch the posted speed signs and drive accordingly. Go speed racer go. Just don't get caught and everything is fine.

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Hmmm... I recommend RADAR absorbing paint for starters. Top with a coat of invisibility finish. All should be well until you try to find your car at the mall.:eek:
Isn't that what the red panic button on fob is for?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip> The second trick is to keep it out of site (low on the dashboard, up in the visor and keep the cord conceited (not noticeable) and most of all, NEVER APPLY THE BRAKES when your detector goes off with all lights and warning on - this means you are right on top of the source and going to get nailed for sure.
<snip>
I tried this, but I got tired of staring at that damn conceited cord, sitting there smirking at me, so I got rid of it.

My solution isn't complex. I got tired of tickets many years ago, so I drive no faster than the limit.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Think, "Slow down"...then the conceit moves from the radar detector cord to YOU, as you brag about ever increasing MPG...:D

The mind boggles. If we all cruised in the CKRA's sweet spot (I think around 40-45mph), we'd all be getting 60+ mpg. Think of the bragging rights!!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Think, "Slow down"...then the conceit moves from the radar detector cord to YOU, as you brag about ever increasing MPG...:D

The mind boggles. If we all cruised in the CKRA's sweet spot (I think around 40-45mph), we'd all be getting 60+ mpg. Think of the bragging rights!!
That really only works if your time has little to no value. Otherwise, not so good . . .

- Tim

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Still ... not ... a ... bad ... idea ... if ... you ... have ...the ... time ...

- Tim

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I got more speed tickets "back in the day" when I ran a detector. Since I got rid of them, nary a one!!! Imagine that....age defies youth! I didn't say I didn't go over the limit anymore.... I just do it smartly. I also sold my Lincoln Mark VIII and bought a Passat TDI.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
In most urban areas, if you drove the speed limit, you would be a hazard.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I kept the 9500ix when I sold my last car. It is very useful for red light cameras and speed cameras. Radar and laser detection are nice bonuses.
Some cars are made to go fast safely. Driving at 130mph in a car that is designed for such speeds and is hardly breathing hard is not an anxiety producing event from a control standpoint. BTW, I had the concealed laser shifter system paired with the 9500ix in the last car. There are only a few states where it is illegal to jam laser beams, so it was completely legal. It is HIGHLY illegal to jam radar beams in all States, under Federal Law.
Speed doesn't kill.
Things that kill (in no particular order):
1. Texting;
2. Phone usage;
3. Hot coffee in the lap;
4. Car full of screaming kids;
5. Putting on make up;
6. Buzzed/drunk driving;
7. Debris from other vehicles;
8. Manufacturer defects (tires, ignition, etc.);
9. Poof visibility from sun or rain.
10. Driving too fast for road conditions.

You guys can figure out where I'm going with this.

knownikko

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT
Some cars are made to go fast safely.
Which is completely irrelevant when you're on a road with a bunch of other people going half your speed.

Your "things that kill" list is amusing and even has a little truth to it, but I'd place "driving significantly faster or slower than the flow of traffic" right up there with all of the distractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.