Locking the doors on 2012 Passat SEL TDI

Farmskis

TDI
2012 passat, 2014 Jetta Sportwagen
When I approach the car with the remote key it will auto unlock. When I leave the vehicle I must dig for my remote to lock it. (For some reason it will not let me use the lock button in the car) is there a setting to auto lock the car once the remote is so far away? If so how do I set it up?

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I'm not aware of the auto-lock. Did you turn something on for the auto-unlock as mine doesn't do what you describe. Mine only unlocks once I touch the door handle to try and open the door.

To lock you can't use the inside button, instead once the door is shut touch the indentation on the handle and it will lock the car. This is how I do mine every day without a problem.

Farmskis

TDI
It may work like you describe... By touching the indent. Because it does unlock once I touch the door handle now that I think of it. I just thought it would unlock sensing the key and it happened to sense it when I would near the door handle. As far as locking it by touching the indentation. I tried it last night because I read somewhere that is what to do but it does nothing. So I wonder if I have a setting turned off somewhere?

danielsza

TDI
2014 Passat TDI 6 Speed Manual, Highline, no sports package, Night Blue Metallic
To lock the car you have to touch the door handle (either the LF or RF). You touch the rear of the handle for about a second and it'll lock the car.

I think in the owner's manual they say to use the palm of your hand to lock it. There is also a picture in the manual of where to put your hand.

To unlock the doors your hand has to be around the handle. You don't have to pull it, just have your hand around it. (again just the LF or RF)

Also to open the trunk when the car is locked just have the fob with you and press the switch just below the VW emblem, near the backup camera and it'll open. When you close the trunk the car will beep.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
You cannot be touching the inside of the handle when you try to touch the outside to lock it. It looks like the perfect shape to place a thumb to lock when you have your hand inside the handle, but it doesn't work that way.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
APT: Yup...if your fingers fall inside the handle while you attempt to lock it with your thumb, nothing happens.

Farmskis

TDI
APT: Yup...if your fingers fall inside the handle while you attempt to lock it with your thumb, nothing happens.
I bet that is exactly what I am doing when I try to lock it! I bet sometimes I put my hand around the door handle to lock it and it does nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmskis

TDI
My wife will walk up to the door and wave her purse by the handle (which has the key inside) and it unlocks. I am not sure how since it claims you need to wrap your hand inside the handle but it works every time. Very conveinent.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
My wife will walk up to the door and wave her purse by the handle (which has the key inside) and it unlocks. I am not sure how since it claims you need to wrap your hand inside the handle but it works every time. Very conveinent.

Please post a video of it doing this. (It being the car, not your wife ;))