hesitation/jerkiness

jdunmyer

TDI
2014 Passat, 6MT
I have a 2014 Passat w/6-speed manual, about 6500 miles on the clock. I've noticed a hesitation or jerkiness a couple or 4 times while accelerating more or less gently. It's usually a single hesitation, like the ignition (!) cut out for a split second, another time it's several cutouts. This is quite infrequent and happens at slow speed, not often enough to really pin it down. Doesn't seem to be temperature related; I've noticed it with the engine cold or warm.

Any ideas?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
There is another thread on the "stutter", there are a lot of people who experience it. Not sure if anyone has had it fixed. I registered my concern on the NHTSA website, just in case it is turbo related.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
I think i've experienced this stutter before myself but only with a cold engine sitting in the driveway. During cold weather I often experience the valve lifter noise. When I do I sometimes let the engine idle for a few minutes and then rev to about 1700 rpm for another minute to get the lifters pumped up. Sometimes when I do this the engine stutters. Its like someone is hitting a kill switch momentarily like the OP described but mine does it continually at regular intervals - about every half second - until I let the engine go back to idle. Haven't told the dealer about it yet because it hasnt happened lately for me to make a video. Plus I am way outta cold weather now. Will have to wait til next Winter.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
I think i've experienced this stutter before myself but only with a cold engine sitting in the driveway. During cold weather I often experience the valve lifter noise. When I do I sometimes let the engine idle for a few minutes and then rev to about 1700 rpm for another minute to get the lifters pumped up. Sometimes when I do this the engine stutters. Its like someone is hitting a kill switch momentarily like the OP described but mine does it continually at regular intervals - about every half second - until I let the engine go back to idle. Haven't told the dealer about it yet because it hasnt happened lately for me to make a video. Plus I am way outta cold weather now. Will have to wait til next Winter.
Get it documented, even if you don't want to do anything about it now. It will help you in the long run.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I have a 2014 Passat w/6-speed manual, about 6500 miles on the clock. I've noticed a hesitation or jerkiness a couple or 4 times while accelerating more or less gently. It's usually a single hesitation, like the ignition (!) cut out for a split second, another time it's several cutouts. This is quite infrequent and happens at slow speed, not often enough to really pin it down. Doesn't seem to be temperature related; I've noticed it with the engine cold or warm.

Any ideas?
Read through this thread and see if it describes your problem.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=343173