Fluttering noise [brake wipe]

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
I keep meaning to ask if anybody else has heard this. I have a 2013 6M SE. Quite often when I quickly lift my foot off the throttle at low rpms, I will hear a noise that I can best describe as a fluttering noise. It only makes the noise for a second or two. It doesn't do it every time. Sometimes I have heard a similar noise under light acceleration in 6th gear. When it does it under load it lasts much longer, like maybe up to 10 seconds if there is no change in the throttle input. I am getting ready to go in for the 10k service and if it wasn't a normal noise, I was going to ask them to look at it.
Ok, guilty of not reading the WHOLE thread but before I started my own, I at least did some "reading" to see if any one heard this. Well, yesterday, I started hearing what sounds like a "helo" flying along. It was coming from the rear. I just had my tires rotated (new one put on the right rear due to pot hole replacement) so the tires had felt a little out of balance but I don't hold out high hopes for my 2013 Passat TDi or the dealer (meaning I doubt I'll keep the car long enough to experience turbo failures or parts to start falling off or the radio (510) to gets it's act together)....
but looks like the idea of the car NOT falling apart isn't going to happen..

So driving the down the road at 80, I noticed a "fluttering" sound from the rear. Passengers heard it too. No matter what speed, 60 or 80, same sound, same frequency (speed of flutter). I stopped at a rest stop to check the tires (pot holes are killing cars left and right around here). No bubbles but I knew due to the rhythm of the sound, it couldn't be the tires or wheels. Crawling under the car tonight, I found the problem Every single snap/fastener that holds the bumper cover to the car was GONE!. 4 of these bad boys missing (including one that holds the plastic shroud in the fender well was gone too. WTH! How can ALL of them just disappear? Maybe when one went, the air flow stressed out the rest and they fell/broke off one by one. I'll save my comparison to the Yugo for another day but this does sure doesn't make me want to brag about the build and quality of these cars. So far, the ONLY thing they have over others are it's fuel eco. And don't' get me going about the POS 510 radio/nav system. So if anything, I'm sorry to the new Jeep Cherokee owners for me harping on your car's build and I take back the bad things I said bout the gas filler cover falling off the few I've seen as it seems VW can't even attach it's bumper covers to it's OWN product. :mad:

Last edited:

Aja1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Mine makes more of a chattering sound, but only when it is raining or very humid out.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Yesterday's experience even further proved to me that the flutter or chatter I have been hearing is coming from the ABS module.

It was raining and the roads were slick yesterday, and I punched it as I was pulling into my friends driveway which made the tires spin a bit and made traction control trip. As soon as the traction control kicked in and the light started flashing, I could feel it very smoothly restrain the front wheels from spinning, and I could hear the same flutter coming from the same location in the front of the car (the area where the ABS module resides). This flutter sounded exactly like the one I hear occasionally when I lift from the accelerator, except this flutter was of a slightly different duration and came exactly in sync with the ABS pump's operation to limit the spinning of the front wheels.

Last edited: