2012 PASSAT Issues

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Tom, I don't think you even need to hold the button down. Foot on brake, touch the button once, let it do its thing.
Correct, you can just push the button the starter will kick in once the glowplug light goes out.

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
Update:
The dealer is working on various noises. The steering wheel was off centered and the car will get an alignment tomorrow morning. I have created a separate thread for the Adblue splashing noise as I would like an input from other TDI owners.
I hear the adblue splashing around in the tank. It was confirmed by the dealer today and they do not have a solution for it.
The dealer is working on three distinct noises in my car. Two rattles and one noise as if something in the trunk splashing around. They isolated the rear metal noise and attached some insulation to it.
The technician actually rode in the trunk of the car and he said the splashing noise is the adblue. They talked to VW and they don't have a solution for that.
So all new Passat owners do you hear the adblue also or is it just my car?
Do you know or can you find out what was the cause if the rattle in the rear trunk area? I have that going on in mine.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Do you know or can you find out what was the cause if the rattle in the rear trunk area? I have that going on in mine.
I have a rattle in the rear trunk also, sounds like in the deck around the Fender Audio similar to the Jetta TSB.

pro439

TDI
None at the monment
regen?

does anyone know how VW is doing their regen's?Do they use a seperate injector or do they pulse the the engine injectors?I repair bigger diesels and my company does it boths ways.I have found that if the manufacturer cuts corner's and put's cheaper injector's in the engine that you will only get 60-100,000 miles outta them.VG turbo's have a habit of the VG portion of the turbo setting up and thus not being able to give the engine the right amount of turbo speed/air flow/boost pressure.I've also noticed an issue w/ the egr coolers and egr valves.Does anyone no of this w/the new VW engine?

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
does anyone know how VW is doing their regen's?Do they use a seperate injector or do they pulse the the engine injectors?I repair bigger diesels and my company does it boths ways.I have found that if the manufacturer cuts corner's and put's cheaper injector's in the engine that you will only get 60-100,000 miles outta them.VG turbo's have a habit of the VG portion of the turbo setting up and thus not being able to give the engine the right amount of turbo speed/air flow/boost pressure.I've also noticed an issue w/ the egr coolers and egr valves.Does anyone no of this w/the new VW engine?
Post combustion CRD injection. No special injector. Through the normal fuel injection system.

pro439

TDI
None at the monment
thanks Tom.I'm just trying to figure out which fuel savings route is going to be the best,hybrids or diesels or electric.I currently own a dodge w/a cummins and a honda accord.On this gas my accord barely gets better milage than my truck.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks Tom.I'm just trying to figure out which fuel savings route is going to be the best,hybrids or diesels or electric.I currently own a dodge w/a cummins and a honda accord.On this gas my accord barely gets better milage than my truck.
You opened a can of worms with that. Lots of opinions on this subject here. :)

How do the hybrids perform? What about those batteries? Accident and eventual replacement? Inaccurate and not guaranteed MPG issues.

Diesel, proven technology with VW that gets 40 MPG easily. Nice large car with comfortable interior and lots of trunk room.

Electric is a great commuter car with limited miles for the REAL ELECTRIC mode, otherwise you are just burning gas to run the electric motor via the generator (Volt). The Electricity still needs to be generated, is it Nuclear, Natural Gas, Coal or Hydro/wind/solar generated.

I chose the TDI knowing the performance, low maintenance, long life and good emissions with the AdBlue (DEF) urea system.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
It really comes down to your driving routine. From a fuel perspective, if you never drive more than 60 miles a day, then plug-in electric ideal. If the vast majority of driving is urban/suburban, then hybrid ideal. When you read of TDIs averaging 47+ MPGs, they are primarily highway or rural driven -- or someone's hyper-miling it, which under-utilizes the fun factor of a TDI.

As Tom stated, Passat TDIs offer much more than top tier fuel economy. Peeps who only think of cars as transport appliances typically don't buy TDIs in the US.

Last edited:

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
It really comes down to your driving routine. From a fuel perspective, if you never drive more than 60 miles a day, then plug-in electric ideal. If the vast majority of driving is urban/suburban, then hybrid ideal. When you read of TDIs averaging 47+ MPGs, they are primarily highway or rural driven -- or someone's hyper-miling it, which under-utilizes the fun factor of a TDI.

As Tom stated, Passat TDIs offer much more than top tier fuel economy. Peeps who only think of cars as transport appliances typically don't buy TDIs in the US.
My take on this. It comes down to more than your driving routine. There are a number of factors that affect fuel economy....though driving habits/methods have a large affect on it.

Plug in Electrics aren't worth the cost IMO. 10-15 miles or less maybe....but you have to have an alternate vehicle for longer excursions. Those back by a gas generator are okay....but will do not so good on long trips.

Urban a hybrid makes sense....suburban it think it would vary.

I disagree with your statement on the 47+ MPG club. I regularly get above 50 MPG and most of the time its 70/30 highway/city. I have plenty of fun too when accelerating....I avoid the brakes as much as possible and I do not go over 60 except when merging and such.

Driving this way makes more sense all around. You have more reaction time, higher MPG, and lower tailpipe emissions when you employ these tactics.

I have done it with an alh, two PDs, and now my new baby.

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
How does the Passat mpg compare to the PD?

jhaddon84015

TDI
2006 Jetta
My wife and I just bought a Passat SE TDI, it has just over 300 miles on it and I notice while driving on the freeway that the freeway sections that are concrete there is a loud buzz coming from the back of the vehicle. Sections that are pavement, it is completely quiet. Has anyone else had anything similar and if so what was causing the problem?

Besides this one of the fog lights doesn't work, which I think is weird, in my 09 Jetta if a light was out there was an error on the console. I don't have any errors at all on the console.

We are having a clear bra and tinting put in on Friday, I'm going to have them look at the fog light, and the noise while it is in.

Last edited:

domano 68

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6spd manual
My wife and I just bought a Passat SE TDI, it has just over 300 miles on it and I notice while driving on the freeway that the freeway sections that are concrete there is a loud buzz coming from the back of the vehicle. Sections that are pavement, it is completely quiet. Has anyone else had anything similar and if so what was causing the problem?

Besides this one of the fog lights doesn't work, which I think is weird, in my 09 Jetta if a light was out there was an error on the console. I don't have any errors at all on the console.

We are having a clear bra and tinting put in on Friday, I'm going to have them look at the fog light, and the noise while it is in.
The SE does not have fogs, as far as I know. Am I wrong or did you add these? Thanks.

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
I have the same buzzing/ rattle sound when hitting rough road patches. To me it sounds like a loose bracket under or near rear speaker area. It vibrates when hitting those patches.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 05 Passat TDI's with the PD. 30 MPG on one 32 MPG on the other one for overall. Remember they were Automatic Torque Converter transmissions so lots of hydraulic loss.

So far this car is getting 36 MPG on the same commute as the 32 MPG Passat, so about 12.5% increase with the Common Rail Diesel. The DSG is an automated manual transmission.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Guys.... 55.0 MPG this last tank....and I wasn't easy on it....darn she is breaking in nice!
That's awesome......it's looking like I might break 50mpg on this tank too, my commute averages have been in the 52-57mpg range which is crazy good considering the route. The warmer temps are helping that is for sure.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Two 05 Passat TDI's with the PD. 30 MPG on one 32 MPG on the other one for overall. Remember they were Automatic Torque Converter transmissions so lots of hydraulic loss.

So far this car is getting 36 MPG on the same commute as the 32 MPG Passat, so about 12.5% increase with the Common Rail Diesel. The DSG is an automated manual transmission.
Same range as Tom, I have more interstate miles so I went from just under 35 in my '04 Passat to 40 in my '12. Mileage is still climbing!:D

Last edited:

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Well this is the Passat forum and the 04-05 were not offered with the 100 HP PD engines
Hey Tom, I think he was just trying to be helpful with the clarification.

Paulsfin

TDI
2012 vw passat tdi
My issues with the passat se tdi.
NOx sensor replaced after CEL light came on at 300 miles.
Alignment done by dealer free at 1000 miles when I asked them the check the steering wheel center.
Brakes make a tap sound when first pressed. Going to the dealership Friday.

Overall, I love this car. Fuel savings compared to my 2012 rubicon unlimited on the same commute is night and day. 12 mpg on the jeep, 38 mpg on the tdi. The issues I have aren't bothering me because my dealership is taking very good care of me. A couple of things I'd like Volkswagen to consider,
1. Are high efficiency tires really better than quieter rubber? My contipro are a little noisy on rough pavement.
2. Would've been nice to have (optiinal)self dimming side mirrors. Some people dont like to tint windows due to loss of visibility.
3. It would be awesome if the MFD told you a regen cycle was going to be initiated in X miles! That way I could plan ahead so as not to stop the cycle halfway. 1200 degree exhaust temps on a parked/ off vehicle scare me and make me wonder about longevity of the car.
Just my 2 cents. I love my VW.

Paulsfin

TDI
2012 vw passat tdi
One last thing.
I'm not sure if it's my iPhone or the passat but why does my phone stream music via BT whenever it pairs with the car? Even if the radio is off? Or if the radio is on sat or any other input other than media BT? Not a grip just a minor inconvenience.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Paulsfin, there is an option in the radio setup to enable/disable automatic playback when the BT device is connected. I have it disabled, which seems to work with one caveat. If I left the car playing through BT, it will start up again playing BT regardless of the option to disable auto playback. If I left the car last time playing SAT/FM/etc, it returns to playing that source, not BT.

Paulsfin

TDI
2012 vw passat tdi
Check, I have tried that enabled and disabled. Either way my iPhone plays immediately after pairing. Thank you though.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Check, I have tried that enabled and disabled. Either way my iPhone plays immediately after pairing. Thank you though.
Same here, with a Samsung Galaxy 2S, noted in another thread. Bluetooth opens up the music play app automatically, and my bluetooth setting is unchecked.

I also have a ticking sound when I apply the brakes first time I back up, then when I apply the brakes again going forward, most noticeable doing 3 point turn arounds in tight driveways.

filfy

TDI
2003 Jetta and 2012 Passat
I have an SEL.

Issues I have:

1. sounds like there is clumped up residue in the fuel tank. which makes a banging noise when initial move from stop is made. Dealer says nothing can be done.

2. Sometimes I smell a odor, maybe the ad blue, but its not a diesel smell, this happens when car is stopped at certain times and the air circulation is not on.

3. I get rattling noise quite often at high speeds, not sure if its because I have abused the Fender system and now the tweeters are loose. It comes from passenger side (not sure if its the passenger door issue commonly discussed).

4. Clicking sound from the light switch. Seems like it happens mainly when in Auto mode and it sounds almost like a light turn signal for a second.

5. Oh, lost the little VW cap on the rim for the SEL. I got to see where to get those, may need a few for the future.

6. Not a big fan of the alcantara. Buit I did find some decent cleaning products for it and just got to keep it clean.

The dealership (Downtown Los Angeles VW) was pretty much useless in trying to solve these issues. I just put up with it as I'm happy to have a large comfortable sedan that is fuel efficient. Spent alot of time in the Jetta waiting for an upgrade.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
After several more driving cycles in the last few days, my RNS510 seems to behave how I expect and described above. Whatever my last source, it returns to it even thought my iPhone 4S pairs the BT every time. This is with the automatically enable playback of BT box unchecked.