Yatbt-Yet another timing belt thread

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I did my timing belt last Saturday, 9 Dec 2006. The photo is the timing belt tensioner I removed, after about 45k miles of service. I installed a new one to match the 100k mile belt that was installed. While I could see that the spring in the tensioner was a lower gauge (thicker), the stamped metal that is deformed in the photo below is the same. Not getting warm fuzzies from this.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
That arm should NEVER be in contact with anything. It was misinstalled.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It seems to be a stop. If it is never to touch anything, why is it there? It appears that the metal is of insufficient gauge.

However, assuming you are correct, what is the defect in installation and what is the proper technique? If it was installed incorrectly, then existing instructions are insufficient, as they were followed as written. I was there; I saw it.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Who knows what happened. You have to torque them over the top. Go under the bottom and they are on the stops. They put it in there I assume to stop and real wild swings like if something like the WP failed. Either way when set to the correct mark it's dead in the middle and only moves 2-3mm MAX either direction when the car is running. I'm not ruling out that you did have a bad one. Anything is possible. Maybe the nut wasn't tight enough during the install when you torque it over with the spanner? I usually only have to give the nut 3/4-1 turn to get tight after setting the mark.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, well, I don't really know what to think. It would seem that as long as the tension is set correctly in install, it would be very difficult to screw up. For example, the instructions I have seen say to turn the 2-pin spanner clockwise to set the tension then tighten the nut. Because of interference with other stuff, it is virtually impossible to turn it counter-clockwise.

Everything else in the belt path seemed to be fine except that the waterpump that was installed 45k miles ago also showed signs of bearing leakage and therefore impending failure. There was residue on the large idler pulley from the water pump leakage. All of that was replaced.

It would seem that you don't get to replace and forget anything. Rats, just when you thought you could get some peace of mind.

jca4

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagen TDI 5 spd
From a post I started recently - timing belt bad luck...

I have a '03 TDI wagon with 159,000 kms on it. VW recommends the timing belt be changed at 160,000, so I had bought a deluxe kit and was intending to change it next week while I was on holidays. While driving along two days ago the motor suddenly stopped and would not start. Guess what? Thats right, timing belt has gone. The belt was still in one piece (either teeth have worn off or a problem with tensioner, or both). Unfortunately valves and lifters need replacing. My question is: companies like Toyota will frequently cover some or all of the costs in instances like this, despite being well past the warranty, will VW???

Here's a picture of my tensioner...

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
If there were rapid acceleration of the crankshaft is reverse rotation I would think it could cause that kind of damage. The only way I would think that could happen is if the car was being push started and the transmission was in reverse when it should have been in a forward gear. If you popped the clutch in a situation like that it would put enormous load on the tensioner. The only other thing I can think of is that it was wound backwards when it was installed but I'm not sure that would even work and it doesn't sound like that is how it was.

jca4

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagen TDI 5 spd
This was the factory installed tensioner. The car has never required a push-start. It's interesting that Powder-hounds is stressed at the same location.