Dyno results - Intake

garth285

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Hey guys well I had my 2012 North American Passat TDI on the dyno last night, was testing out some water/meth injection (No Gain's) so while I was on the dyno I decided I'd like to see if I could make the turbo breathe more if I'd see any results.

What not a better way to make it as free as possible than to just let it open air breathe...

Below is the dyno chart.... as you can see the peak up numbers are exactly the same 118hp/181 ft lbs

The only area it looks like it may have picked up is at 2,000 rpm but it looks like maybe 2hp and 5ft lbs but the dyno operator said that could have just been a error since it was right at the beginning of the run.... none the less.... intakes are generally close to $300 and $100 per hp I dont think it to worth it! So if you have $ burning a hole in your pocket please spend your $ else where if you have a stock TDI!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hey guys well I had my 2012 North American Passat TDI on the dyno last night, was testing out some water/meth injection (No Gain's) so while I was on the dyno I decided I'd like to see if I could make the turbo breathe more if I'd see any results.

What not a better way to make it as free as possible than to just let it open air breathe...

Below is the dyno chart.... as you can see the peak up numbers are exactly the same 118hp/181 ft lbs

The only area it looks like it may have picked up is at 2,000 rpm but it looks like maybe 2hp and 5ft lbs but the dyno operator said that could have just been a error since it was right at the beginning of the run.... none the less.... intakes are generally close to $300 and $100 per hp I dont think it to worth it! So if you have $ burning a hole in your pocket please spend your $ else where if you have a stock TDI!
I am curious if a tune would have made any difference. Probably not, but still curious.

garth285

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
My buddy owns the shop but I think he charges anywhere from 50-100 depending on what kinda pulls you need.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Essentially no change, as we are all aware of. Intakes make no difference on a stock TDI, and often times make no difference on a modestly modified TDI.

It is interesting to see the power band though (albeit hard to read the engine speed)... thanks for sharing! :)

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
It is interesting to see the power band though (albeit hard to read the engine speed)... thanks for sharing! :)

Yeah!

Garth - Any chance you can post up a better copy? Or can you let us know where the HP/TQ starts to drop off/trend down?

:cool:

wyrosjr

TDI
2013 passat se tdi 6m white
I can't see the figures on the chart. At what rpm was peak torque? Also what rpm was peak hp?

carlrx7

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
interesting that the water/meth made no gains, adding water to the combustion increase compression ratio, so were did the power go?

-Carl

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
interesting that the water/meth made no gains, adding water to the combustion increase compression ratio, so were did the power go?

-Carl

It got eliminated by the ECU. It senses torque per cylinder. My guess would be it injected less fuel, and lowered boost using the VGT, and compensated for the Water/Meth. I would be curious if it threw P1004-P1007 codes.

garth285

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Sorry for the bad graph, I'll see if my dyno guy can email me a file so it is clear as day possibly.

Peak Torque is from 2500rpm to about 3100 rpm and peak hp is at 3800 rpm

the torque is at 140ft lbs down from 180ft lbs at 4200 rpm but the torque stays at 180ft lbs from 2500 to 3100

at peak hp the torque is at 160ft lbs so thats not to terrible and may be a good "shift point" if manually shifting the dsg

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Thanks for posting this Garth. This is about what I expected as well. I have always been in the camp that says a filter that lets in more air also lets in more dirt. As far as cold air of course we already have that from the factory.

garth285

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
yeah, it kinda sucks that theres nothing to be gained from the perspective of someone who wants more power but on the other hand its kinda nice to know that VW has made the car THAT EFFICIENT! If you think about it adding an intake and gaining a ton of power really just shows poor design that you are "fixing" so I guess you can take it how ever you see it!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If you want more power, you have to change the computer programming. You can't just scab on a bunch of aftermarket stuff and expect it to work - those days are long gone.