recommend shop/TB chg

mikhail

Veteran Member
You probably speak for quite a few TDI owners in the Hampton Roads area. Because many area TDIs are coming up for their first TB change this year, you probably will not find a a shop that has TDI TB changing experience. I'm coming up on my second change - the first one was an absolute nightmare.

Like you, I'd like to hear from someone who's had a relatively painless TB change in the Hampton Roads area.

I've heard more than once that Bill Britt in Fredericksburg is good, but it's too far for me.

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: mikhail ]

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
What if somebody with lots of experience made a road trip for the sole purpose of doing a bunch of timing belts?

I don't know who that person would be but It's possible that I could load up the tools and take a little drive....

Think about it and let me know how many need belts.

DB

Strack

Veteran Member
If you cannot locate a qualified shop with TDI experience, see if you can find a factory VW mechanic who does side work.. Drop by a dealership's service bay and chat with a few mechanics, I bet you'll find one who will talk with you and is interested in replacing your timing belt for less than $500.00...

Good luck...

mikhail

Veteran Member
Good thoughts, Drivbiwire and Strack. There's a precedent of sorts for the roaming timing belt expert. My wife has horses, and every two months or so, the farrier comes by and does their hooves. He does the Piedmont and Tidewater areas of Virgina - puts about 100,000 miles on his forge-equipped truck a year.

M

dieselbug

everyone, thx for the ideas about a bug doctor.

i may try the fredricksburg, va vw dealerif he doesn't want a ransom.

the idea of a mobile belt shop is great! with vag-com software on a laptop, a chip burner and some of the other tricks, this would make the right person a great living while having some interesting travel time.

will let you all know the outcome.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Wait a minute! With DBWs exquisite step by step TB instructions, it should be a piece of cake even for lamers like me, right?! Well, shouldn't it!

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
Ok, I haven't had my timing belt changed on my car yet, but have been talking to a few people that have.

One shop that was recommended by a friend was Ray's automotive on Warwick Blvd 757-595-7297, "I take mine to Ray's automotive on Warwick Blvd. He charges @$320 which includes a new water pump, PS belt and serpentine belt."

Another shop that I have dealt with in the past that I highly recommend is Coastal in downtown Norfolk. These guys are very honest and I would trust to do a good and competent job. They are my first choice.
-Nick

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brownnugen:
Ok, I haven't had my timing belt changed on my car yet, but have been talking to a few people that have.

One shop that was recommended by a friend was Ray's automotive on Warwick Blvd 757-595-7297, "I take mine to Ray's automotive on Warwick Blvd. He charges @$320 which includes a new water pump, PS belt and serpentine belt."

Another shop that I have dealt with in the past that I highly recommend is Coastal in downtown Norfolk. These guys are very honest and I would trust to do a good and competent job. They are my first choice.
-Nick
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That price is for an A3/B4 not an A4 timing belt, BIG DIFFERENCE!!! The ater pump for tyhe A3/B4's only costs about $25.00 from the dealer new.

If they only charge $100.00 over the cost of an A3 I would say you have a great deal going if it includes parts. I doubt they could do the belt for that price if they included the water pump ($75.00 alone for the water pump on an A4).

DB