Wrench symbol and temp flashing - what does it mean

FlyingJ

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI pkg1
Ok, I searched the newbie list, and the faqs and the "has this already been asked" search. The little wrench symbol and the temperature reading started flashing when I turn on the key (2006 TDI Jetta). If I start the car, it stops flashing, but if i wait, it will flash 20 times. I looked through the owners manual but can't find out what this means. The car has about 17000 miles on it. This happened along with a mileage warning before the 10000 mile service was due, but this time, there is no indication of impending miles to oil change or anything.
What does this mean?
Thanks

FlyingJ

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI pkg1
I guess it just means service is coming up.

The dealership says it just means the 20k scheduled service is coming up. It's still 3000 miles to go. I was thinking it said how many miles to go when the 10k was coming up. Anyway, he says it doesn't indicate a problem.

Bob Bruns

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Wrench symbol

If I change oil my self is there a way to turn off the wrench symdol. the reansce I ask I dad it serviced at the dealer the first time at 5000 mi wrench symdol was still on but it was done on a sat. part time I spose. At $50 Oil and filter that was a OK price. So it did the 10,000 mi service back at the same place. And that is all so the place that bought it from last year. this time rowtated the tires. This time the wrench symbol was gone. But it cost me $100. I asked what the 20,000 mi sevice would cost $200 So I think I will do it my self. :))

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Reset the Service Reminder
Just thought I'd let everyone know that you can reset the service interval reminder light (the little wrench) that comes on when your Pkg 1 car is due for an oil change without a trip to the dealer or a Vag-Com by following these steps:

1. With key off, press and hold the trip reset button.

2. Turn key to on but do not start.

3. While still holding trip reset, press the clock minute button. This resets the reminder.

Kudos to Bad Actor
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1398403&postcount=1