Check engine light

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
2001 Jetta Diesel - Don't have owners manual - today a light came on that looks like 2 loops (previous owner - daughter) says its the glow plug light - and the check engine light.....Taking it to mechanics tomorrow - just wondering if it IS both the glow plug and check engine light? He is not a diesel mechanic but can set it up on machine to determine code - I hope (BTW done waiting for daughter to find owners manual - going to try to buy one today)!

I hate to go to mechanic with no idea what it could be - hence the question. Thanks

nesdon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW, 2009 & 1998 Jetta Sedans
Find an indy VW garage that will scan it for free

That glow plug light has a few of functions, not sure what all of them are, but it also goes off for water in the fuel filter. Generally doesn't go off for the glow plugs unless they are called on by the ECU, which varies by year, but I think for that one it is like 40 deg F, so it's its on and it hasn't been started when cold, it may be one of the other meanings.

In general it's always a good idea to avoid dealers and go to garages that specialize in your make and model of car. With modern OBDII cars, a good shop should scan your car for free and let you know what the scanner says it wrong and what it will cost to fix.

marshalldanielp

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Gls Wagon auto
Have you noticed any difference in performance?

Also does the glow plug light stay on or flash? Does it go out after the car starts?

Most auto parts stores will scan the car for you at no charge. You could take the car this afternoon and get the codes, post results and be better prepared for tomorrow.

Check the brake lights, I believe if one is out they can cause the glow plug light

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
No difference in performance - unfortunately I don't know of any diesel mechanics in my area (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA)

Thanks for the info - I will get it to an autoparts store this afternoon...

turboboost1

Veteran Member
TDI
None, Did the buyback

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
Glow plug lights

Well after at least 10 days, I finally have an appointment! When I stopped in the shop he had an 08 Jetta TDI on the lift and a diesel "bug" waiting for next lift. Hope that's a good sign - I will let you know how I make out.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
This may sound wacky, but a bad brake light swtch will cause the glow plug light to come on. Does your cruise control engage? If not, go ahead and change the brake light switch.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
IDK about any recall, but there could be.

Faulty brake light switches on Dubs have been an issues for many years though.

DanEboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2000 Auto
I think the recall expired.
Good thing is the switch itself is inexpensive.
Kathleen, I hope it's just a brakelight is burned out.
If you back up to a wall you can check the lights yourself at night!

Last edited:

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
Here's hoping

Mech is checking it out today - hopefully it is nothing major (and he is as honest as the Mechanic that recommended him)

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
After looking at the number of vw's in the lot, I don't think I will be hearing anything soon!
But i'll post what I find out!

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
Should have just taken it to autozone or advance auto parts. They will scan it for free.

Realistically, if you own a car, you should own a scanner. They are cheap and great to have in the glovebox just incase.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
If your car is an automatic, a faulty brake light switch won't let you put it in gear.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
The brake switch is two parts. I haven't looked at the diagram but I know one part runs the lights and one part runs the cruise control but I don't know what part runs the shift interlock. It's a good thing to look into.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
^ Contact the vendor of your Chinese push button starter and see if they can offer you some advice. Will they stand behind their product that ruined your car?

Just kidding... Sorry

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Thoughts for mloecher-
Go over to http://forums.tdiclub.com/ and find the model specific forum and re-post there.
This thread is a discussion of a 2001 with completely different symptoms than you describe.
When you find the forum, read around for a few minutes, maybe search, you may find a better match.
Good Luck!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Thoughts for mloecher-
Go over to http://forums.tdiclub.com/ and find the model specific forum and re-post there.
This thread is a discussion of a 2001 with completely different symptoms than you describe.
When you find the forum, read around for a few minutes, maybe search, you may find a better match.
Good Luck!
Yes. Once the OP has solved the problem, THEN jump in and ask your own question. Otherwise, people are trying to answer questions from too many people and no one knows what reply is for which problem.

This should be in a "Must read before posting" page.

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
I figure I need to find a mechanic eventually - I know this mechanic through my employer - never thought to ask him about diesels. He was recommended by my very much trusted (25-30 yrs of service) non- diesel mechanic.

I'll find out soon enough if this was a good decision.

Its a standard btw....

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
Glow plugs were the problem - seems whomever told my daughter they hanged the plugs (twice) lied. My mechanic showed me the plugs - 3 were original! He got a deal on bosch plugs (he wont guarantee aftermarket) - showed me the invoice so I know he didnt overcharge) and charged me $100.00 for all labor (including diagnostic). He said the filters (fuel, air) looked "old" suggested I bring it back for service when I had time. He also mentioned that the waterpump in this year had some propeller problems, gave me 2 options 1) Bring it back to be changed 2) Watch for temp spikes and stop driving immediately if the temp light comes on. The timing belt was changed 30K miles ago - he said that was good for another 70K, but its to bad they didnt do water pump as the cost in the new pump was in the labor it takes to get to it. He typically does water pump and timing belt at same time. Car runs like a champ - starts faster than ever, no light on. He also asked me to give him first shot if I ever decide to sell!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Glow plugs were the problem - seems whomever told my daughter they hanged the plugs (twice) lied. My mechanic showed me the plugs - 3 were original! He got a deal on bosch plugs (he wont guarantee aftermarket) - showed me the invoice so I know he didnt overcharge) and charged me $100.00 for all labor (including diagnostic). He said the filters (fuel, air) looked "old" suggested I bring it back for service when I had time. He also mentioned that the waterpump in this year had some propeller problems, gave me 2 options 1) Bring it back to be changed 2) Watch for temp spikes and stop driving immediately if the temp light comes on. The timing belt was changed 30K miles ago - he said that was good for another 70K, but its to bad they didnt do water pump as the cost in the new pump was in the labor it takes to get to it. He typically does water pump and timing belt at same time. Car runs like a champ - starts faster than ever, no light on. He also asked me to give him first shot if I ever decide to sell!
It sounds like you've found someone that is familiar with VW diesels. He's right about the water pumps , the originals had plastic impellers that would become loose on the shaft and not spin anymore.

The last timing belt change should have included the water pump, tenisioner and rollers, in addition to the belt. It's often not the belt that breaks but one of those others that fail and break the belt as a result.

If this was my car knowing what you know now I would buy a complete kit from one of the trusted vendors, idparts , metalmanparts etc and have it installed. Putting a new belt on without changing the other parts is an invitation to belt failure.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yep when done it should be a kit similar to this one:

http://www.dieselgeek.com/ALH_TDI_Timing_Belt_Kit_p/tbk-alh.htm

http://www.dieselgeek.com/ALH_TDI_Timing_Belt_Tool_Kit_p/mn-alh.htm

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html

Many of our vendors here sell such kits as Dieselgeek (registered forum vendor) does. The person installing it should also have the proper tools and knowledge as well as VCDS. If your mechanic is good he might be inclined to join and apply to be on our trusted mechanics list. The link for that is in my signature below.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Kathie can put(nominate) the mechanic on the list, can't she?

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
Had the car back around a week - had no problems - but NOW the plug light is flashing constantly (prior to plug change it was a constant ON)

So here we are - I know the plugs needed changing (3 were found to be original on a 2001) regardless and he only charged $100 for labor, but now we have to wait again for an appointment.

My daughter never had a problem with this car, but it was more of a "spare" and rarely used. We use it daily and travel 100's of miles a week.... So far the amount we've put into the alternator, battery and glow plugs is nowhere near with the car would have cost us from anyone other than my daughter.....

As far as nominating the mechanic? I would like to have at least 6 months - year successful history with him.....

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
He should try to squeeze you in. flashing light is the car really yelling for help.

more serious than not flashing.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If I were you I would get the car to a trusted mechanic from the list. They should be able to help you out without throwing parts at it and getting it fixed the first try. As before the link is in my signature below. When you have to pay for labor and parts you want them to diagnose and fix properly the first time.