2000 Jetta TDI w/Automatic transmission

sonrise8020

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
When I first start in the morning 1st gear (or reverse for that matter) takes a lot of gas and the rpm's up over 3000 to get moving even slightly. As the weather here in ChiTown is getting colder it is getting more and more difficult to move...letting it idle for 3-4 minutes with the rpm's at 2500 seems to help but not fully. Once I do begin moving it jerks really bad to get into first (or reverse).

However, once the car is "warmed up" and the engine temp at 190 it rides and shifts gears pretty smoothly and with no jerk. This past sunday it did not want shift into the top gear when traveling over 50...

1) if I did not know better and it was a manual, I would immediately think it was a clutch problem
2) the original owner changed the trans fluid at about 80k and I am now at 150k so I am not sure that it is a "flush" that's needed
3) could it possibly be fuel related and have something to do with the fuel filter?

Thank you, in advance, for your help. I have never posted on this forum.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
It's quite likely you're due (for a new transmission). 150k miles is nothing to sneeze at when it comes to this infamous piece.

Welcome aboard, Son!

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Sounds to me like your transmission fluid is overdue for a change. IMO, it should have been changed about 40k miles ago.

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW Black/Cream, 2000 Golf silver/black
sonrise8020 your transmission description is the first I've seen that 'mirrors' what is happening to my auto trans.
Basically after it is warmed up it runs fine.

My experience is slightly different from the standpoint that I wait a few seconds until I feel the first gear engage and then I apply very little power, if it slips I back off power. I try not to let the trans slip to much or 'cluck' into gear. Once rolling I'm good. Just very 'smooth' on acceleration until warmed up.

You also mentioned that over 50mph it didn't shift into top gear. This has only happened to me once. It was when I was in a hurry and was accelerating to fast before being warmed up. I simply stopped the car. Turned off the motor and reset the transmission.

To reset the programming to stock values, (and get it to start "learning" your style), try this.
With the engine off turn the ignition key to the "on" position, (not the start position!).
With the key "on", (dash lit up etc..), press the accelerator pedal all the way down to the floor.
Hold it on the floor for "at least" the count of 10.
Switch "off" the key.
Release the accel pedal.
Start car normally.

I changed my trans fluid at my last timing belt and was planning on doing it agian.... 100k ago...I do agree from all the posts I've seen on this trans that the 'factory' 110 to lifetime transmission oil change is bad advice.

I'm thinking and 'HOPING' that a trans fluid change may do the trick.
My thinking is that 'maybe' I'm a bit low and old on used up fluid. When the trans warms up the oil expands, gains just enough viscosity to let the trans work correctly...?

What do you folks think...? just my wishful thinking or is it possible to do a transmission fluid change to cure?

Captain Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
You have a valve body issue, plain and simple. My car has the same exact symptoms as yours does (which is why the previous owner was selling it). I have been researching it since before i bought the car.

Dont waste your time on flushing the fluid, I did that anyway just because i wanted to pull my valve body out and clean it and see what was up with it, but in the end the new fluid and filter didn.t do anything. I even put some trans additive that i use in my race truck to see if that would help, but no luck.

Contact Richard, aka CoolAirVw on here. He seems to be the go-to guy for VW Automatics. I believe his valve body rebuilds start at $250 and go up depending on what you need repaired.

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW Black/Cream, 2000 Golf silver/black
Captian Morgan. Thanks for the info. I know folks here talk about whole new trans, or look at sensors, etc. It just seems to by chasing the tiger. However, your suggestion on the valve body seems to be the common thread to the issue if your transmission hasn't completely destroyed itself.

I'm at Timing belt replacement time and if I can do the timing belt and valve body at same time that may be the ticket. Issue is as you state, "...valve body rebuilds start at $250 and up depending on what you need..." So can you 'open trans up' so to speak and know what parts you are going to need?

FYI - I'm a Fred's TDI mechanic... not a REAL mechanic so I have a timing belt guru from Fred's do my timing belt, so will need to contact coolairvw.

Thanks for the help.

Captain Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
You'll be able to test the resistance of your solenoids, but thats about it. The main problem is with the valves themselves when they get worn. To my understanding, Richard actually bores the valve body and installs larger valves. If I could do that, I would purchase all my parts through Richard and do it myself, but I dont think trying to bore out my valve body on my lathe or milling machine is the right way to go, lol.

I dont think going to the dealership and ordering new valves will fix the problem, or if it does it would probably only be temporary since the bore is still worn.