2002 Beetle hatch won't open

tommys69

TDI
2002 beetle
Hello everyone, I have a 2002 VW Beetle TDI and the rear hatch won't open. This year has only elecronic release. The door switch and remote neither will work. I have cleaned the mechanism in rear hatch before and it finally started working about a year ago but has been giving problems off an on till now it won't open at all. what I am after is where to find this part other than dealer if anyone knows. Dealer in my area is out of control wants $58 for the mechanism in hatch. any help would be appreciatted...

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
That is a 2002.5 model. They eliminated the manual latch and made a few other changes in mid year.

Frankly I don't see $58 as a bad price. I would have expected more.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
The lock is $28 (1stvwparts) if you need a new one.

I think it's the motor you need, though, which is $48 (worldimpex).

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
tommys69 said:
Hello everyone, I have a 2002 VW Beetle TDI and the rear hatch won't open. This year has only elecronic release. The door switch and remote neither will work. I have cleaned the mechanism in rear hatch before and it finally started working about a year ago but has been giving problems off an on till now it won't open at all. what I am after is where to find this part other than dealer if anyone knows. Dealer in my area is out of control wants $58 for the mechanism in hatch. any help would be appreciatted...
This is VW not Ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And $58 is cheap.

tommys69

TDI
2002 beetle
problem fixed

sorry it took me so long to post but i fixed this problem. had to cut all harnesses out of wires. apparently problem was in one of them works perfect now

Jashroric

TDI
2002 VW Beetle 1.9 TDI 01M tranny
Rear Latch Question

I have the same issue on my rear latch on my 2002 VW beetle TDI. I traced it down to the micro switch that is part of the latch assy. I havent found any descriptions anywhere on what this switch does. It is a three pin micro switch and part of what it does is provide a ground to the latch release motor when the latch is closed. I can't figure out what the other side of the switch does (possible ground to turn interior lights on when latch is open?) Does anyone know what it is suppose to do? Also I can't find a part number for this latch assy anywhere. Everywhere I go it gives me an assy with the motor and latch as all one unit, where mine is seperate. Thanks for any help.