All-wheel drive TDI

crossing_patoka

TDI
just lookin' and hopeful
good question VeeDubTDI,
what is the budget, tops, for the ideal vehicle?
cutting to the chase and with that ideal vehicle being near the bullseye on all key features: fuel efficiency, adequate roominess and towing torque with awd and throw in some ground clearance ... $15k, tops.
this would include paying $12k, or so, for one that needed some upgrade/modification/repair to be more on the mark, and knowing that $3k of labor and repairs will get it there. just want to be clear that tops does not require a creme puff. :cool:
~~~^^^crossing_patoka^^^~~~

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's a workable budget, but you can pretty much rule out any of the Audi TDIs. That leaves you with the following:

• VW Touareg V10 TDI
  • Jeep Liberty CRD 4x4
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD 4x4
  • Ford Excursion 4x4
  • Big 3 diesel pickup truck 4x4
  • Mercedes-Benz R320 CDI 4Matic
  • Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTec 4Matic
  • Mercedes-Benz ML320 CDI 4Matic
  • a project car with a diesel engine swap into an AWD chassis.

This list is, of course, excluding your wish for 40 MPG, which none of the above vehicles are capable of doing.

Here is an Auto Trader search for <$15,000, AWD, diesel, Mercedes/VW/Jeep. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...F72BB6B352B00FE3B8AB6B&showToolbar=true&Log=0

crossing_patoka

TDI
just lookin' and hopeful
being curious enough, i looked up info on the 25 year rule. this is from the FAQ on the nhtsa.gov pages:
"8. Importing a vehicle that is at least 25 years old.
A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used."
the full link for the FAQ is:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ Site/pages/page2.html#Anchor-12-30207
note: you may have to cut and paste into the url line.
my immediate take, not having explored the importing option before, it gets complicated fast. :eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Seems to me that the OP has made some choices regarding where he lives that set some pretty clear vehicle requirements. This is a cost of that choice.

My mother for years lived on an island that was accessible via a half-mile long causeway that flooded every high tide. This required a vehicle with AWD, lots of ground clearance, and anything she bought rusted almost immediately. She resigned herself to buying CUVs every two years, especially after the frame on her Land Rover rusted and broke and she had to fight for warranty coverage.

If you need AWD and ground clearance, and you don't want to spend big $$, then you're going to end up with a gasser CUV or small SUV. Those are your options in the U.S.

crossing_patoka

TDI
just lookin' and hopeful
seems like the correct answer, IndigoBlueWagon.
and, if that gasser CUV/SUV has enough grunt to tow, it has no fuel efficiency. our Forester can tow, kinda, but mpg goes from mid-20s empty to high teens, or less, down to 11 to 14 mpg if pulling into a headwind.
i keep hoping there is some oddball vehicle, not in the mainstream, that hits the target, but i just have not run across it. never really been a 'jeep thing' person, but i did check out the liberty diesel in VeeDubTDI's shortlist -- no fuel efficiency and other minor problems. :(
i am more than a little incredulous this niche is not filled by some basic model made in the past 15 years, or so. was really hoping to find a tdi in usa to be a good fit. maybe the market is too small, but with the incredible variety of oddball rides on the market these days, a practical, economical, strong and durable option does not exist in north america for moderately rugged terrain. maybe it is just my ego-centric thinking, but i feel lots of folks would be down for something like this.
still looking and still with an '06 cat x-type awd at to trade! :D

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
seems like the correct answer, IndigoBlueWagon.
and, if that gasser CUV/SUV has enough grunt to tow, it has no fuel efficiency. our Forester can tow, kinda, but mpg goes from mid-20s empty to high teens, or less, down to 11 to 14 mpg if pulling into a headwind.
i keep hoping there is some oddball vehicle, not in the mainstream, that hits the target, but i just have not run across it. never really been a 'jeep thing' person, but i did check out the liberty diesel in VeeDubTDI's shortlist -- no fuel efficiency and other minor problems. :(
i am more than a little incredulous this niche is not filled by some basic model made in the past 15 years, or so. was really hoping to find a tdi in usa to be a good fit. maybe the market is too small, but with the incredible variety of oddball rides on the market these days, a practical, economical, strong and durable option does not exist in north america for moderately rugged terrain. maybe it is just my ego-centric thinking, but i feel lots of folks would be down for something like this.
still looking and still with an '06 cat x-type awd at to trade! :D
You hit the nail on the head. :(

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's a sweet ride, but it might be tricky to import into the US.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Edit: deleted, not an AWD

crossing_patoka

TDI
just lookin' and hopeful
thanks otty,
now that is the critter for me. far as i can tell (many of the abbrvs on the conversion forum that i have no idea about). ground clearance limit i can live with, or maybe there is a lift conversion that could be added. as noted a couple of times in the thread and here, the import issue is the big one. still in disbelief something similar is not mfg. for the usa market.
side note: we have had 3 used foresters, starting with a '98 and now with an '06. poking around, looked like a diesel forester was out for '14 or '15. called a local dealer, and, sure enough, a turbo diesel boxer (big fan of boxer engines here) forester is available if i lived in maybe australia or uk. :(
the comment about "Edit: deleted, not an AWD." i was under the impression all Quattros were AWD. not so? or, just this conversion is not AWD?
all the best,

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I think there used to be something else there.

And, the US market has historically not liked diesels. Combine that with restrictive import laws that Mercedes-Benz got passed, and you can't bring stuff in unless it's ancient. Therefore, if you want a diesel that wasn't sold here, and don't want it to be 25+ years old, you have to build it.

crossing_patoka

TDI
just lookin' and hopeful
thanks to everyone for your input and considerations on this thread. i will keep my eyes open for a viable option that hits near all my key target functions: torque for pulling, modest roominess for 4 adult passengers and some good fuel efficiency with some ground clearance thrown in. :cool:
for short pulling distances and heavy loads (gravel, maple sap, etc.) I have a couple of options already: 1986 F-250 4x4 extended cab XLT beater, and, 1/2 ownership in a 1985 F-350 dually 4-door beater with goose neck or fifth wheel mounts; both gas. ;)
so, my basis are really covered except for the long hauls with lighter trailer loads of 2,000 to 3,000 lbs. that's the hole that the north american consumer market has not yet filled, so it seems. :(
again, i appreciate everyone's input and help in searching just what the options are for a diesel vehicle that fills this hole.
all the best to everyone,

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Regarding towing smaller loads like 2-3K, the B5.5 Passat and the Sportwagen both have euro hitch options that mount to the frame. My camper is in the 2400lb range and is 9.5ft tall. Towing at 55-60mph with that brick is 20mpg. More than acceptable for me. Sounds like you got the heavy hauling and 4x4 figured out if you have access to trucks?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Wait another year and the Chevy Colorado diesel is supposed to be available. My assumption, from owning an 07 Canyon, is that mileage on the diesel in the new truck should be mid 30s. Might hit 40 mpg if driven for mileage. I can throw 1000# in the back of my truck and think that it is rated for towing up to 5000#.