Rear Rotor single screw

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
I am not having a good few weeks. Does anyone know where I can buy the single screw that secures the rotor to the hub? Is the dealer the only one that will have it? Does anyone know what size it is?

Someone stripped out the old screw and sooner than later I will get that bastard out and then will need a replacement.

Thanks.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I am not having a good few weeks. Does anyone know where I can buy the single screw that secures the rotor to the hub? Is the dealer the only one that will have it? Does anyone know what size it is?
Someone stripped out the old screw and sooner than later I will get that bastard out and then will need a replacement.
Thanks.
http://www.idparts.com/rotor-screws-pair-p-1069.html

M6x16

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine.../brake-rotor-set-screw-priced-each/n10648301/

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
You do not need that screw for function - just makes assembly more convenient. Most like M6-1.0 (thread pitch 1.0mm). Some hardware stores may have this or else McMaster.com or Fastenal.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. Yeah, I made a call and found out I didn't need it, but I am pissed that I had to drill it out. I still need to work it a bit more to remove the last of it, but I managed to get the new disc on. Life goes on.

Thanks !!

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
You do not need that screw for function - just makes assembly more convenient. Most like M6-1.0 (thread pitch 1.0mm). Some hardware stores may have this or else McMaster.com or Fastenal.
Yeah, you don't need it until you have a flat tire on a cold rainy night and the rotor turns on the hub and you can't see to line up the two to get a lug bolt started.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yeah, you don't need it until you have a flat tire on a cold rainy night and the rotor turns on the hub and you can't see to line up the two to get a lug bolt started.
Yup, or you live in a climate where you are changing between summer tires and winter tires multiple times a year. :)

It's like 3 bucks from the dealer... new ones are a Torx head so less likely to strip out, particularly with a tiny bit of anti-seize on the threads first. :)

Johnny G1

TDI
2013 golf wagon DSg
Drill it out and put in a 3/16 aluminum pop rivet, will at least keep the bolt holes lined up, solved our problem when one went missing????

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Good idea, and being aluminum it won't rust in place... when the time comes to replace the actual rotor.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I've found that screw at my local hardware store, in the past. Going to have to check, again, and see about getting a few to have around.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
hardware store. Just make sure the head has a taper to match the rotor. Dont bother drilling out the old one. Just pull off the rotor, rotate it one lug nut over and drill a new hole. Then tap it and put in the new screw. Its much easier to drill a new hole than to drill out the broken bolt.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Even better, something like this: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/wheel-hanger-m14x15-thread/002840sch01a/

Either this or get a 100mm 14x1.5 bolt, cut the head off, and use that. This way you have something to line up the rotor with the hub, and can use it to hang the wheel while you start the other 4 lug bolts. Much MUCH easier to install a wheel this way.

Those screws are only used to keep the rotor in place while the car heads down the assembly line. They're useless after that, and only cause trouble later as you are finding out. Why trouble yourself further? The bolt solution is a couple of orders of magnitude better.

Cheers,

PH

Johnny G1

TDI
2013 golf wagon DSg
Even better, something like this: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/wheel-hanger-m14x15-thread/002840sch01a/

Either this or get a 100mm 14x1.5 bolt, cut the head off, and use that. This way you have something to line up the rotor with the hub, and can use it to hang the wheel while you start the other 4 lug bolts. Much MUCH easier to install a wheel this way.

Those screws are only used to keep the rotor in place while the car heads down the assembly line. They're useless after that, and only cause trouble later as you are finding out. Why trouble yourself further? The bolt solution is a couple of orders of magnitude better.

Cheers,

PH
Go to your local auto or machine place, won't cost $15 for a bolt, made my own many yrs ago because of VW stoopid way of trying to find the proper hole to line up, Just my thoughts, keep it with the spare all the time.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI

Cheers,

PH
I have one of those alignment tools in my impact wrench case. I am going to get another to keep with the spare, just in case !