Intake Manifold Cleaning

EtherNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, White
I thought I'd post a couple of pics of my Intake before I cleaned it. I did it last weekend, my 97 Passat had 166347 miles on it. To my knowledge it had never been done.. Looks like I was only getting about 30 percent of airflow through... When I would accelerate my car would seem like it hit an acceleration brick wall at about 3000-3500 RPMs and would just spew black SSSSSSSMOKE like a freight train. I guess this was because it was so restricted that the turbo could not force any more air into the cylinders as the input from the injectors increased. All of that smoke was unburned deisel wasted out the rear end of my car....

Enjoy!

All in all I spent about 8 hours doing this... I went VERY slow. The whole job wasnt too bad, and I actually ENJOYED it. Just a quiet day with the radio off and my tools.. ahh good for the soul..... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

After I scraped all the crud I could with a screw driver I took the Intake to the car wash and spent about 7 bucks spraying the crud out. It did a great job on everything I could get sprayer nozzle on. What was left was the cavity of the intake. I could feel the crud still in there with my fingers. I took it home and filled it full of diesel fuel (the only solvent I had on hand, I'd use something different if I had it to do over) and let it sit for about 2 hours. Then I filled it full of old nuts (ala DieselGeek ), plugged up the holes with rags then shook the crap out of it. It loosened everything, then I flushed it with water, and redid the diesel/nut treatment. One area you really need to pay attention to is the neck of the intake where it turns down to cavity of the intake then on to the ports. This can be a huge bottle neck of it's not cleaned out. The car wash sprayer couldn't reach it effectively, so don't depend on that. That's where the nuts came into place. I also had a long circular wire brush on hand that I hooked to my drill and ran it stright up through the middle port to the turn in the neck to clean it out. I kept having to remove the wire brush and clean it in solvent as it kept getting built up with crud.

Take a look at your intake, it may be causing you more grief that you know...

Otto_von_Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
EtherNut,

In this world of extreme and shocking headline news, little is shocking anymore. These intake pics however are really shocking. Can you believe the buildup?

My Passat smokes like a chimney in the same RPM range >3500. Thanks for the post. You've inspired me to get mine off.

Good pics!

EtherNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, White
OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/eek.gif

It runs like a different car. I have a wett chip and I can actually get a little rubber in second now.

My gas mileage is up since it smokes so much less on acceleration.... Much less wasted fuel!

All around, the car is just more driveable.

If ya got questions, Post 'em!

EtherNut

DUBBIN

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
Ok you asked for it. I have a few questions. I am in the middle of cleaning my intake right now on my 98 Jetta TDI.

What is that little metal pole thing inside the intake? It goes from the EGR valve to the other side where it connects to another pipe. Does anything need to done with it?

Also behind the EGR where it connects to another pipe does a gasket go there?
Did you use a gasket sealer on any of the gaskets?

How did you torque the 6 bolts on the back of the intake, with a torque wrench or did you just guess? I believe it calls for 18 foot pounds, does this sound right.

Did you clean any of the ports on the back side of the engine where it connects to the intake? If so how did you do it?

Is there anything I should look out for?

I think that is it for now thanks in advance for any helpful insight you can give me.
/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

EtherNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, White
That metal thing is part of the EGR. I cleaned the back side of it out real well and used wooden rod to push it up to make sure it was in good operation and seated properly.

No gasket sealer. you don't need a gasket directly behing the EGR. That cross pipe has a tan looking one already on it. You're probably in the same situation I was in, I had two metal gaskets and three mating surfaces until I realized that tan gasket was on the pipe that mated to the back of the EGR on the intake.

I didn't use a torque wrench I just hand torqued them, 18 lbs isnt much, get the bolt tight and then give it a LITTLE extra nudge and you should be in good shape. I'd tighten them up in a 1,3,5,2,4,6 pattern or some variant of that.

I used several paper towels on those ports on the back of the engine, it didn't seem to be built up as bad as the intake, I put some solvent on the papertowels and got what I could with my hands. Try not to break any particles loose into the engine.

I also cleaned out my egr cooler. If you have one it's REAL black and some of the holes that run through it have closed up completely, I took a stiff (not thin) coat hanger and cut out the straight portion, then I used a grinder to make a gradual flat but pointed end. second I ground down adjacent sides of the hanger to have a flat surface on both sides then I ran it through with my drill. I'd blow it out every so often. I found this to be the MOST tedious thing I did...

Glad you asked the questions! If you have more then ask them too! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks!

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Wanna come over and clean mine? HA HA HA.

Is this thing hard to take off at all? Other than time consuming. Where did you get the directions from? GeWilli's post, or somewhere else? I have a 98 Jetta and am trying to find the time to do this on my car. Also trying to work up the muster to take a piece of my engine off. I am no stranger to tools, but haven't attempted something like this yet. Also, do you think it is an idea to replace the gasket that goes on the Intake?

VWannabe

Veteran Member
I am looking at doing this on my A3 Jetta and have some ideas, formulated from the various threads on this subject. I am planning on using a high-pressure car wash nozzle on ANYTHING I can. For what it cleans, this seems to be the most effective thing. Also, if soaking parts, get some biodiesel. It is a wonderful solvent, won't harm your hands, and if a little is left in the system, it certainly won't harm anything. I was also wondering if a shop vac could help with any intake port build-up. As the ports are scraped, hold the vacuum down there and let the particles get sucked up when loosened. Has anybody thought/used this technique on the intake ports?

EtherNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, White
Toronto_Vento

Overall it's not too hard, it just depends on your technical ability. If you're a little skittish on doing it now, maybe you should maintenance some other items first.

I start with replacing the fuel filter, air filter, change the oil and doing the Intercooler cleaning. After these few items you should feel much more familiar with your engine. If you've already done some of these things then you're well on your way. Really, it's only bolts and nuts. Go slow, and place your parts in an order that's easy for you to remember how to put them back together. You'll be fine.

I have to admint, I felt a litle nervous about doing the Intake as well, but after it was all over I was pleased.

I've done mt timing belt myself, and over all I think it was a slight bit more difficult to do. But not much.

I used the instructions from the TDIFAQ and Dieselgeeks post only. Both of them are linked above in my post with pictures. GiWilli's document is AWESOME but it's for an A4 which is slightly different.

Good Luck!

EtherNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, White
VWannabe

High pressure nozzle works great for what it can get.

I wouldn't worry too much about what solvent you use. All solvents dry quickly. I let my intake sit upside down in the sun for about an hour before reinstalling it.

as far as the ports on the engine, there is a suggestion in the FAQ about using cotton balls down in the ports to catch the debris and sucking them out with a shopvac. But I really didn't want to risk getting stuff in my engine so I used paper towels with solvent on then to get the worst of it and pretty much left it alone.

Dont even worry with the shopvac when cleaning out the intake. it's more trouble than it's worth as that stuff is pretty goopy,sticky and will probably ruin you shopvac. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif It all falls out pretty easily. Look at my first post in this thread and follow the link to dieselgeeks thread, he has some great suggestions about putting loose 5/8 nuts in there and shaking the crap out of it. That really worked well.

Gingerninja

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Vento UK spec Dragon Green
One word of warning when you remove the boost pipes plug up the outlet in the turbo with some newspaper or similar thing as i very nearly had to remove the turbo on my 96 vento to retrieve a stray(dropped) socket.

You have been warned.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Ethernut. Thanks for the tips. I have actually done my air filter, fuel filter, oil change, replaced horns (not difficult...but they are in an awkward place...didn't feel like taking the bumper off). Actually, I am really not bad with pulling pipes off, etc...just a little nervous about getting into that engine. But c'est la vie, right? Gotta dive in, and I can always tow it if I get in trouble. HA HA HA. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bookerdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI - BLACK
Ethernut, that was an impressively dirty intake! One thing I found with my cleaning was that when I removed the vaccuum hose going to the EGR, it was in pretty bad shape. It cracked and broke just pulling it off. So, you should probably have another hose handy to replace it, but if you don't and the end gets chewed with the disassembly, you can do what I did and just cut off about a 1/2 inch from the end and shove it back on. Don't do too much because the hose will be too short.

TDILOVE

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Red
I just love that quote of yours!

if you guys want to clean that intake you have to use "Citrus BioSolvent" from http://www.finishlineusa.com/

I know most of you probably think "oh... another citrus solvent" I'm telling you this one is different!!!

you will be SORRY you never tried it.. WAY better than automotive grade solvent and best of all when your done with it spray it down with water and it neutralized. making it totally safe for the earth. diesel soot just cant stand up to it, no scrubbing needed and its totally safe for your hands.

take a trip up to you local mountain bike shop and get a can to try for yourself, you WILL not be disappointed. I buy it for my work by the gallons to clean the flux of circuit boards and for those of you who know about flux it a bear to clean of a circuit boards.

P.S. no I don't sell this stuff, I just have never ran into something that cleans so well without destroying the item im cleaning while yet safe for me and the earth. and who don't turn my hands dried out white like HOG WASH when im done using it.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Nope, warm is fine. By the time you remove everything else, you can handle the EGR stuff. I usually do warm cars with a set of mechanix gloves on. Really makes a difference.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Throw a fan on the engine and it cools a lot faster.

goldgolf

TDI
Golf 2002 gold
I have no power left in my car at all. Semi's pass me up hills. I got my carbon cleaned out about a ten months ago, and now the same thing. The guy who did it said he only did the top half. If I get the whole thing cleaned out, will this last longer? I want the same power in my car as when I bought it, four years ago. thanks.

BudsBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle (Buglet)
goldgolf said:
I have no power left in my car at all. Semi's pass me up hills. I got my carbon cleaned out about a ten months ago, and now the same thing. The guy who did it said he only did the top half. If I get the whole thing cleaned out, will this last longer? I want the same power in my car as when I bought it, four years ago. thanks.
Sound More like a MAF to me:rolleyes: , try unplugging the MAF if it runs better replace it. The MAF is the thing at the output of the Airbox before the hose.

jjudd

TDI
'97 Passat
I just cleaned my intake and found that gasoline works pretty well to disolve all that crud. Mine was almost as bad as the pics. The nut thing works pretty good to and I was able to stuff a non fuzzy rag down in there, pour some gas in and work that around with a screw driver. Then
I stuffed one through the EGR end and formed a hook on a wire (coat hanger) and was able to hook it through the intake ports and pull it back and forth. Got mine really cleaned out in this manner.
Also got about 3/4 of a cup of crud out of the intake ports on the heads.
If you look down in those ports you can see the valves. On mine I turned the engine until three valves were closed and was able to clean those three really well. I did not use solvent on these, I used a screwdriver
(very carefully) and scraped most of it loose, rigged a small hose on the
end of my shop vac and sucked it out. The rest I cleaned up with a small
wire brush on the end of my cordless drill. I cleaned the three closed ones
and then turned the engine until the 4th one was closed.
Didn't make much sense to me to spend all that time cleaning the manifold
and then leave the ports clogged. There's really more crud in the head ports than there appears to be.

Good luck on your quest for POWER,
JJ

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
jjudd, gotta drive that thing harder!

Most cars intake ports only have a light coating.

rallymerkur

TDI
96 Passat
Here's what the inlet to the manifold looked like after two days in a hot tank( yes I cut it) -

And here it is back together-

Drives like a new car now.

Realtor Ruth

TDI
99 beetle tdi
Intake Manifold

EtherNut said:
I thought I'd post a couple of pics of my Intake before I cleaned it. I did it last weekend, my 97 Passat had 166347 miles on it. To my knowledge it had never been done.. Looks like I was only getting about 30 percent of airflow through... When I would accelerate my car would seem like it hit an acceleration brick wall at about 3000-3500 RPMs and would just spew black SSSSSSSMOKE like a freight train. I guess this was because it was so restricted that the turbo could not force any more air into the cylinders as the input from the injectors increased. All of that smoke was unburned deisel wasted out the rear end of my car....

Enjoy!

All in all I spent about 8 hours doing this... I went VERY slow. The whole job wasnt too bad, and I actually ENJOYED it. Just a quiet day with the radio off and my tools.. ahh good for the soul..... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

After I scraped all the crud I could with a screw driver I took the Intake to the car wash and spent about 7 bucks spraying the crud out. It did a great job on everything I could get sprayer nozzle on. What was left was the cavity of the intake. I could feel the crud still in there with my fingers. I took it home and filled it full of diesel fuel (the only solvent I had on hand, I'd use something different if I had it to do over) and let it sit for about 2 hours. Then I filled it full of old nuts (ala DieselGeek ), plugged up the holes with rags then shook the crap out of it. It loosened everything, then I flushed it with water, and redid the diesel/nut treatment. One area you really need to pay attention to is the neck of the intake where it turns down to cavity of the intake then on to the ports. This can be a huge bottle neck of it's not cleaned out. The car wash sprayer couldn't reach it effectively, so don't depend on that. That's where the nuts came into place. I also had a long circular wire brush on hand that I hooked to my drill and ran it stright up through the middle port to the turn in the neck to clean it out. I kept having to remove the wire brush and clean it in solvent as it kept getting built up with crud.

Take a look at your intake, it may be causing you more grief that you know...
How do you get the manifold off of the car? I have my car jacked up, but I haven't got the manifold off yet. Oh yes, it looks like your before picture.
Thanks

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat sedan, 1997, maroon, 129k mi.
Jacking up the car is not the thing to do. You get access to the manifold from the open engine bay. You'll have to remove the EGR cooler from the manifold (if equipped - depending upon model) and some other things. The manifold itself is attached to the head by way of some capscrews. There's a good video somewhere on this site that describes the process.

AccountingTroll

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Pearl White 2006 NB, Red
Is this for your 99 Beetle? (I read your profile) I think the procedure is the same. However, you will need two elbows on each arm. An A3 Jetta or B4 Passat has a lot more room to work. Private message paramedic. He may have done this on a Beetle.

Oh, your car is considered an A4.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
No need to PM.

NBs are a PITA to do the intake if you don't remove the cowl under the windshield. Once it's gone, it's actually easier than a Golf/Jetta. Not so far to reach.

1) remove windshield wipers
2) remove rubber sealing strip
3) lift plastic tray at base of windshield out of the way. Start at one corner and lift slowly until completely free of groove in windshield base seal.
4) move the sensors at the right side of the cowl.
5) locate the 5 or so nuts/bolts that secure the cowl. One bolt each end. One nut on the support bracket. Two acorn type nuts that hold on the N75/N18 bracket onto studs and slide bracket out of the way. The cowl will then pull straight out.

Cowl can be removed in about 15 minutes. BTW, having the car up on jackstands sure makes it easy to remove the air intake tube to the turbo. Easier on the back, too, if you're tall.

Last edited:

ke6iyc

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
OK, 11 year old thread, but what the heck.
Pulled the EGR of this morning, near 50% blockage on both sides.
Soaking now, while lunch is consumed.
For anyone who can turn a wrench (in the correct direction for the desired result) should be able to do this.
Pics will be somewhere, when I figure out where to put them.
Thank you TDIClub!
Brian

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
OK, 11 year old thread, but what the heck.
Pulled the EGR of this morning, near 50% blockage on both sides.
Soaking now, while lunch is consumed.
For anyone who can turn a wrench (in the correct direction for the desired result) should be able to do this.
Pics will be somewhere, when I figure out where to put them.
Thank you TDIClub!
Brian
*15 year old thread!
be carefull about making sure the head is also cleaned or you can trash your engine.