Cry over spilled milk?

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
A full cup of protein drink was spilled in the passenger seat (don't ask :mad:) of the wife's 2015 Jetta w/black Leatherette.

I cleaned for nearly 3 hours with rags, spray bottle of water, and shop-vac. Even after that amount of time, my efforts seemed futile.

Questions:

- Is there any hope of this not smelling like rotten milk forever?
- How will this affect the operation of the heated seat?
- If heated seat remains operational, will its use exacerbate the odor by cooking the remaining dried milk?

I'm leaning toward finding a junkyard replacement, but figured it couldn't hurt getting a few opinions here. Right now everything looks and smells just fine, but that will almost definitely change when the car is parked in the sun for a few days.

abaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Trendline+
Oh boy.

I have some experience with this; way back when I broke a couple glass bottles of milk in my brother’s MKII Jetta.

We tried cleaning it, fabreeze, everything but if left sitting closed up over night we could still smell the rotten smell months later.

The only suggestion I have is look at an ozone machine, that MAY help. Also, clean the headliner as it absorbs the smell.

Good luck.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
You'll likely need to replace the seat unfortunately if the foam was soaked, I use a liberal amount of chemical guys on leather and it helps long term, darkens a bit and avoids scratches. There's some techniques to help draw stuff out, Larry @ ammo nyc goes into it in detail. Would try pulling the seat and detailing the floor with a proper carpet shampooer as well, bissells are affordable. Bought my mk4 from someone with a smelly dog, ultimately replaced all seats almost 2yrs later after losing the battle. Good luck!

Last edited:

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Thanks for confirming the prognosis.
It shouldn't be too hard to find a salvage replacement.