ALH GTB1756VK Build Thread

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 2 door GOLF TDI; 2009 Touareg 3.0 TDI
After years of collecting parts for my 2003 VW Golf 2door, I finally got this thing together and fine tuned: All I can say is wow. Some of the below stuff I fabricated, some bought, some traded for. My goal was to build the long block for 250 WHP, and tune it for around 200 WHP with a Transmission with 1rs, 2nd, and 3rd modified for all out acceleration (aka stoplight runner), with 4th being a 'rural' driving gear and 5th a 'highway' gear matching peak torque rpm with my most common speed traveled on those roads (50 to 55 and 75 to 80 respectively). All this whilst still allowing for 50+ mpg (if I drive it 'normally'.) So mostly a daily driver with maximum stoplight to stoplight acceleration.

2003 VW ALH Motor;

GTB 1756 VK turbo on a Passat intake manifold, pinned and port matched exhaust inlet and outlet. 32psi with spikes into upper 30s.

HFLO-X Race Nozzles @ .280 (mostly smokless or blocks the sun, depending on which tune I am using)

11mm Injector pump rebuilt and modified for more timing supported by an in tank lift pump.
CAT 2 micron fuel filter.

Ported/polished head with dual valve springs, stage II camshaft with .020 additional lift, 3 angle valve seats, nitrided cam followers, line up pins for intake and exhaust manifolds installed, port matched to the both the exhaust and intake manifold.

PD 150 intake manifold pinned and port matched to the head.
R32 intake box (true 3 inch intake all the way to the turbo inlet).
Stock ALH MAF sensor installed into the 3" R32 MAF housing.
3" custom made turbo inlet pipe.
FMIC and 2.0" aluminum turbo piping where possible.
4 bar MAP sensor.
2.5 inch cat back exhaust.

Bored and decked.
Balanced rotating assembly.
Slightly lower compression over stock. (my stick out was near the upper limit for a one hole head gasket, so I used the next size up (2 hole MLS)).
Integrated Engineering forged rods.
Nural ASV style 80.0 mm bore pistons with Goetze rings.
ARP studs at the head, rods, and mains.
BRM oil pump gears.
Fluid harmonic dampener.
Vibra Technics motor and trans mounts.

Stage 5 custom Malone tune and separate RC6 custom tune.
ASV and EGR deleted.
Idle at 1050 rpms.
Easily redlines to 6000 RPMs.

O2J Transmission rebuilt with all new bearings and seals, assembled and modified from many sources:

South Bend stage 3 endurance clutch.
Peloquin LSD.
3.16 R&P.

Other:

OEM Aristo rims off an R32 with 235 45 18 Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

Impressions:

On a hard run, accelerates very fast to 80 to 95 mph in first, second, third gears. Fourth continues to pull very strongly with fifth also pulling strongly, but not like 4th, even up hills. Silky smooth idle, Silky smooth acceleration no vibration at all in the interior. Vibrates some (not too bad) at the stock 900 rpm setting, so I bumped the idle up to 1050, at 1050 there is no vibration at all in the interior. Very good daily driver, IMO, almost no lag at all, picks up nicely from 1200 rpms in any gear except 5th which will struggle just a little on steep hills below 1500 rpms, but above 1500 rpms, on steep hills, 5th picks up just fine. Even if you accelerate 'normally' by keeping boost at 15 psi or below, it still picks up and goes like my old 130hp stage 2 tune. That said, the real fireworks come in at 2200 RPMs to 5500 or so. Peak torque feels like it is at around 2300 rpms.

Acceleration is so smooth and stable when making a fast run, it is deceptive, you are suddenly at 85 or 90 mph at the end of 3rd gear without really realizing it. This car will get me in trouble, LOL.

MPG: If i drive it 'normally' I get around 54 mpg on long highway trips. Driving it with full on fun factor still gets around 40 mpg. Not bad, I would say!

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Nice build, love to see what maxing those nozzles will look like.
Plans for the dyno or drag a couple times?
Especially like that gearing. Keep it going!

p.s. who's hating with the single stars?

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice build, love to see what maxing those nozzles will look like.
Plans for the dyno or drag a couple times?
Especially like that gearing. Keep it going!

Thanks! No plans for a dyno, but I suppose I would if I happened to be at a place with one available for use. Others with similar hardware that have used a dyno posted results that show around 200 whp and around 380 ft/lbs on a max fuel tune.

I do want to track it at least once with some sticky tires to get some timed runs without the traction issues I have now :)

Last edited:

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice looking car! What are the fuel lines made out of? Love the clear!

Thanks!

Fuel lines are from McMaster-Carr, part number 5792K22

https://www.mcmaster.com/#5792k22/=1a4h4g5

I have used this line for many years, I do replace them every 3 years or so because they do harden up a little. I never had one that got so hard/brittle that it failed on me, though. I just treat it as a maintenance item and replace them for cautionary sake.

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
You’ve got More fuel than me , so that block the sun tune must be hefty. Most folks have been running race 520s because of their availability

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
Great build
How different does the car perform between the 2 tunes, rc6 and Malone stage 5 .

Bajan
Not a fair comparison. I asked for different things from both tuners. Both delivered what I asked for. Both tunes perform well considering what I asked for. I really do not want to get into a 'whose weenie is bigger' tuner flame war such as I have seen in other threads. One is a heavy fuel build (not really street-able, too smokey), the other is mostly smokeless street tune. Noticeable difference in power between the two, as expected.

Last edited:

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Not a fair comparison. I asked for different things from both tuners. Both delivered what I asked for. Both tunes perform well considering what I asked for. I really do not want to get into a 'whose weenie is bigger' tuner flame war such as I have seen in other threads. One is a heavy fuel build (not really street-able, too smokey), the other is mostly smokeless street tune. Noticeable difference in power between the two, as expected.

Thought my question was very simple and to the point, but obviously not. I didn't asked whose weenie is bigger and don't really care. I've been running a 1756 for couple years now and was curious what you thought, no flame tuning war in that.

Bajan

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I'm ready

Solid build! Looks like you've covered pretty well everything and then some. Taller 1st and 2nd would be interesting. In the 335Ds, even stock, 1st is pretty well useless and it's best to launch in second. Would make things a lot smoother off the line in D (unfortunately they're all auto). Notice much of a difference with the fluidampr?

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Liseed,

Guessing here that the Malone 5 is the "streetable".
So how are you managing the 2, seperate ECUs?
I'm working towards that as per our previous discussion
in the classifieds as to RC locking his tunes.

Cheers,
R*2

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm ready

Solid build! Looks like you've covered pretty well everything and then some. Taller 1st and 2nd would be interesting. In the 335Ds, even stock, 1st is pretty well useless and it's best to launch in second. Would make things a lot smoother off the line in D (unfortunately they're all auto). Notice much of a difference with the fluidampr?
LOL

Motor is absolutely smooth with idle set at 1050. At 900 it does vibrate, but less than my old motor. I can't really say it is because of just the fluidampr because I also had the rotating assembly balanced. Doing both (and even with using stiff mounts) defiantly resulted in a set up that vibrates a lot less than my old motor with OEM mounts. Much smoother acceleration too. I also had the injectors balanced and the pump is a fresh rebuild. I am not sure how much balancing the injectors and rebuilding the pump is contributing to smoothness at idle, but I would GUESS it has a big influence to smoothness at idle.

Last edited:

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
Liseed,

Guessing here that the Malone 5 is the "streetable".
So how are you managing the 2, seperate ECUs?
I'm working towards that as per our previous discussion
in the classifieds as to RC locking his tunes.

Cheers,
R*2
I just swap the ECU's. I ended up with 2 ecus tuned to the same car (long story). I may eventually settle on one or the other after I get them both fine tuned.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Liseed, looks like the way to manage it. I've got the 2nd ECU with matching #'s, and a couple Malone dealers not too too far away.

Just got a 2.5" exhaust and FluidAmpr installed. Both good improvements!

Have fun!, I know I am. {:eek:)

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Liseed, looks like the way to manage it. I've got the 2nd ECU with matching #'s, and a couple Malone dealers not too too far away.

Just got a 2.5" exhaust and FluidAmpr installed. Both good improvements!

Have fun!, I know I am. {:eek:)
Was there any difference in vibration after you installed the FluidAmper? and if so, was that the only thing you changed that may have affected vibration?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Was there any difference in vibration after you installed the FluidAmper? and if so, was that the only thing you changed that may have affected vibration?
"Notice much of a difference with the fluidampr?" Owain

Gents,
The short answer is yes. Idle is smoother, (@903rpm). I had one on my MkVI which I installed after going with an SMF SBC clutch. This was before the clutch manufacturers went with the "silent clutch", ie. springs in the friction disk.
The MkVI was vibrating enough to potentially eat the cast steel synchros in the 6spd, a known issue ~ 3 years ago.
My current SBC2 End, while 2nd hand, has the "new & improved"
springs. The O2J tranny has brass synchros which are not subject to
the metal fatigue that the 02M suffers from.

Without the FluidAmpr my current O2J was chattering in neutral with the clutch out, though not objectionably. You could tell the sound difference by simply pushing the clutch in and out.
The spring loaded friction disk does help, but the addition of a FluidAmpr into the equation renders any chatter nearly undetectable.

The power band with the FA is noticeably smoother, I had a discernible step in the boost as my 17/22 hit 3800rpm. Now the car powers through that until I hit 4600 when the limiters start to kick in. If I'm driving hard it pays to keep the revs near the top end of the rev range for "maximum effect". The engine also tends to "hang
on" to the revs as you shift, it's a touch slower to lose revs. Just have to adjust clutch/throttle timing a tad when shifting to compensate.

The turbo is spooling quicker and sooner, though I suspect that has
more to do with the mufflerexpress 2.5" exhaust than the FA. Response is a bit quicker, again I believe more to do with "breathability" with the larger exhaust. Next clutch though I'll be
trying to get an 18# flywheel vs the current 21#. The difference in weight between the stock pulley and the FA is 520gm.

The difference between with and without is not big, but my feeling is that longevity of the engine is improved. An expensive upgrade,
and I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't been able to score a used one
for half price. Worthwhile for the road racer, mebbe not so much for a dragster.

Owain, I've been told however, that BMWs will break their crankshafts without upgraded harmonic balancers under severe
torque conditions. Never heard that about the VWs. The silicone oil
that replaces the rubber in the stock pulley, is a better shock absorber IMO.

My $.02, FWIW.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Liseed,

That sounds like a really nice build. It's very similar to what I'm doing with my wagon. Seems like it's fun to drive around!