CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Scheduled my upgrade today with GDM. Unfortunately they were booked solid until Sept so I'll be heading up there on Sept 2 to have the install done. . Kinda bummed but it's nice to know Les has his books full and will hopefully be in business for a long time despite this mess with our cars. Obviously he's got the older TDI crowd and the the diesel pickup market going for him up that way as well.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Scheduled my upgrade today with GDM. Unfortunately they were booked solid until Sept so I'll be heading up there on Sept 2 to have the install done...
I think I'd consider this option. I'm about 2-hours away from Les. Is he supplying the parts, or do you get them yourself and take them or ship them to GDM? Also, could you tell me about the total cost in a private message, parts and installation? Is it a one day job? If so, I'd just wait.

I love my little car, so if the HPFP worry was removed from the equation maybe I'd choose to go on driving for many years. At the very least I could wait until the last possible minute to give up the car. The way to is now, at 133K miles with no more warranty, I feel like I'm sitting on a time bomb.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I think I'd consider this option. I'm about 2-hours away from Les. Is he supplying the parts, or do you get them yourself and take them or ship them to GDM? Also, could you tell me about the total cost in a private message, parts and installation? Is it a one day job? If so, I'd just wait.
I love my little car, so if the HPFP worry was removed from the equation maybe I'd choose to go on driving for many years. At the very least I could wait until the last possible minute to give up the car. The way to is now, at 133K miles with no more warranty, I feel like I'm sitting on a time bomb.
I believe Les stocks a few kits. He has them listed on his website.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Les's site mentions the cp3 is good for north of 500 hp ! He even has a used/refurbished? option to save some cash.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
How do people here feel about refurbished pumps? I guess if Les likes them enough to offer them as an option then they must be fine, but I'm curious what others think.

Also, do you think you need the containment kit if you get the CP3 pump? I think I'd prefer to avoid the complexity of the extra filters for regular maintenance of my car at a place that isn't familiar with such things. With just the different/better pump, it seems that all maintenance would be the same. Is that true?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think a refurbished cp3 makes a lot of sense for those on a budget. The extra filter head that comes w the kit isn't a containment filter- it's just an extra fuel polishing filter. No containment needed.

Rhino1829

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi 4dr m/t
I was thinking the same thing. I had reached out to les to see if the pumps were refurbished or just lightly used. The site says used but I would have to think they are refurbished. Haven't heard anything back yet so I'm just assuming. But for those on a budget, it does seem like a great option.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
When I had my Rawtek exhaust installed back in march I talked to Les about the pump. I'm pretty sure I recall him saying it was a reman'd pump.

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I'd trust a remanufactured CP3 over a CP4.1 any day of the week.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Very true! I am going to get CP3 asap, still am on original HPFP at 227k miles along with shocks and brake system.
I'd trust a remanufactured CP3 over a CP4.1 any day of the week.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I got my Malone stage 2 from GDM, amazing jobs! I drove from FL to PA overnight and got it done within 4 hours. couldn't believe my eyes on how quick they are. got it done at 180k and now 227k, no issues.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think I picked up a couple mpg from the cp3. I got around 4 mpg from the delete/tune. The mfd readings barely changed at all, though. Went from reading a couple mpg high to a couple mpg low.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
sweet! I would be so happy with increased mpg and better acceleration and better responses, correct?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The cp3 won't make much difference vis a vis acceleration until you have maxed out the stock pump. A stage 3.5 tune pretty much maxes out the stock pump.

freyguy

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Add me to the list of CP3 owners.

Back in Oct 2013, I installed 2microntech's contain flow kit & pure flow adapter at 60k miles. Just about two weeks ago (Aug 3-4), my local VW dealer installed a rebuilt CP3 pump and 1 micron filter during all of my 120k mile services, including timing belt. The VW service manager and tech were awesome about this "special" project. The install looks factory. I opted to use the dealer because my time and priorities were needed else where.

Andrew's product and support are off the dyno charts!!!! THANK YOU!!!

I have about 500 miles with the new pump and I can notice the improved performance. My biggest notice is how the car does not slow down as fast as it used to when letting off the pedal. Meaning the car, seems to coast better. I believe this is because less load on the engine to turn the new pump. Of course other benefits to this new pump.

Besides this pump, I am a completely stock engine and factory tune. I'm considering an engine & DSG tune after this. Suggestions?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow, I'm pretty amazed a dealership would install non factory parts like that. Even my local guru took a pass on the install. It was a piece of cake to install though, so I'm glad he passed and I did it myself. Welcome to the bulletproofed common rail club!

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT

Back in Oct 2013, I installed 2microntech's contain flow kit & pure flow adapter at 60k miles. Just about two weeks ago (Aug 3-4), my local VW dealer installed a rebuilt CP3 pump and 1 micron filter during all of my 120k mile services, including timing belt. The VW service manager and tech were awesome about this "special" project. The install looks factory. I opted to use the dealer because my time and priorities were needed else where.

I have about 500 miles with the new pump and I can notice the improved performance. My biggest notice is how the car does not slow down as fast as it used to when letting off the pedal. Meaning the car, seems to coast better. I believe this is because less load on the engine to turn the new pump. Of course other benefits to this new pump.

Besides this pump, I am a completely stock engine and factory tune. I'm considering an engine & DSG tune after this. Suggestions?
That's an awesome story! I never would have guessed any dealer would install one of these, I'm actually quite impressed. Props to your dealer :D

I'll add you to the list!

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Wow, I'm pretty amazed a dealership would install non factory parts like that. Even my local guru took a pass on the install. It was a piece of cake to install though, so I'm glad he passed and I did it myself. Welcome to the bulletproofed common rail club!
Man, what "guru" wouldn't want to do an install like this?? I'd have a hard time calling him a "guru" after he said no...

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT

Likely came with the clause of "we'll install it, but there'll be no warranty on a non factory part". That said, many dealers will turn down a job like that because it's a non OEM part. So props to your dealer for helping you out! :cool:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Man, what "guru" wouldn't want to do an install like this?? I'd have a hard time calling him a "guru" after he said no...
Hermtdi is my local guru- one of the very best. He actually didn't give a firm no, but said he'd prefer not to do the install. I didn't persue it further. Andrew's kit was fairly new at the time, and I don't think Herm was familiar w/ it, and how high quality a kit it was. I totally understand where he was coming from.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.

On a stock tune I would highly doubt any improvements at all other than perhaps slightly more stable rail pressure, unless your original pump was very damaged.

For all of those who have Cp3 installed who adapts ECU tune or do you just fit without adapting existing tune?

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
What kind of MPG boost do you guys see with a CP3 swap? A deleted CR with a CP3 would probably get really good MPG.
Not really any improvement before or after.... still around 60mpg highway in my car. UK mpg.

The pump is there to provide more fuel and higher rail pressures.
I can't see how it would reduce fuel consumption.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The cp3 is a more efficient design with less friction loss than the cp4. The extra friction from the cp4 just turns a certain small amount of fuel into wasted heat loss.

thatguyamos

TDI
2012 VW TDI
Cp3

Got my cp3 pump done with mircon filtration system at 209700km
Also did alternator
Serpentine belt and tensioner
Dog bone mount insert
So far happy with with it.
Just testing out fuels with it.
Tried petro canada ultra low diesel
Now on to v power shell diesel
Anyone know where I can get my old hpfp and alternator rebuilt.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
The cp3 is a more efficient design with less friction loss than the cp4. The extra friction from the cp4 just turns a certain small amount of fuel into wasted heat loss.
Well, yes, but let's talk in actual measurable differences. Probably the same as those "eco" tyres which make very little difference (if any).

I suspect keeping your tyre pressures well adjusted will gain you more MPG than a Cp3. Let's remember the Cp3 should/is primarily for improved power and, in the case of the USA vehicles it seems, as a replacement for an unreliable stock pump (in UK stock pump is reliable).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, yes, but let's talk in actual measurable differences. Probably the same as those "eco" tyres which make very little difference (if any).
I suspect keeping your tyre pressures well adjusted will gain you more MPG than a Cp3. Let's remember the Cp3 should/is primarily for improved power and, in the case of the USA vehicles it seems, as a replacement for an unreliable stock pump (in UK stock pump is reliable).
True. The gain was small enough to be hard to quantify. There are any number of ways to reduce friction losses. Correct tire pressure, reduce unnecessary weight , aero drag, parasitic losses etc. I wouldn't recommend the cp3 primarily as a fuel saving measure.