EGT's on 2.4td ( Volvo 940 )

stevieturbo

TDI
Volvo 940
Diesel newbie here....and not a modern tdi...hope this is ok ??

1993 2.4 straight 6 volvo 940td VAG engine. T3, intercooler, mechanical pump.

This car is an auto, and as such, feels laggy. Boost response/spool is usually quite poor.

So, I fitted a T3 with a smaller 0.25 turbine housing. Doesnt really feel much better. Same compressor. ( kickdown also adjusted so it rarely kicks down, so I can use a decent amount of throttle )
At 10psi, EGT's did get as high as 600degC measured before the turbo.

I try 20psi...EGT's rarely go above 500degC !!! ( Innovate TC-4 )

Ive tried screwing the diahpram on the pump, but it really makes no difference. Can these sieze up inside ? Regardless of how far I adjust it, the car never smokes.
I also have the EGR blocked off.

Any thoughts....or should I just leave it alone, as its sad trying to mess with a diesel automatic volvo !! lol
Basically I just want to try and improve low end torque, as I rarely venture above 3000rpm.

Or is it worth trying to adjust pump timing ? car is noisy...as these are, but runs fine. What effect would pump timing have on EGT's ?

Cheers, Stevie

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
It sounds like there is too little fuel..

Egt's may go op to 800-900°, especially because it's a non vnt turbo..

You should find a way to push more fuel in it..

Try with 15psi and adjust fueling till it smokes..

stevieturbo

TDI
Volvo 940
As I say... I have tried adjusting the fuel...but it really does make no difference.

Ive screwed the torx bit in, until the locknut barely secures it...and still the same ??

That is some 8-10 turns from standard.

I have another pump...I'll take it apart and see what the other end of teh diaphram looks like, in case it coule be stuck.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Never mind the LDA diaphragm, what about the main fuel screw? The one above the distributor, with the sealing ring on. It sets the maximum IQ, the LDA only modulates it wrt boost.

Slacken the locknut, turn the screw in a tiny bit (caution, I aint kidding...), no more than 1/8 turn. Lock, and re-try. Idle will be higher and need a reset, maximum rpms will increase a bit too, but so will the IQ in all other conditions.

Where are you, btw?

stevieturbo

TDI
Volvo 940
Im in Antrim...

I adjusted the red circle...

Where is the main fuel screw in relation to this ?

In the front of the pump ( front of car ) there is another screw, dabbed up with yellow paint.
I wouldnt necessarily say its sealed though.
You can just see the head of this in the pic...small hex head, with screw slot in end of it also.

Last edited:

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, that's the one. They've often got a split ring crimped on over the thread to stop you screwing them in too far. Tweak it in a tad.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What's the kickdown adjustment like, BTW? Slackening the cable off a little might let you get into the throttle a bit harder without the tranny interfering.
(common trick on the same tranny as used in Toyotas)

stevieturbo

TDI
Volvo 940
The one on the front of the pump is the correct one ???

As I mentioned in original post...I have already slackened the kickdown quite a bit. It will still down shift...but the actual kickdown at WOT isnt there anymore.

Most auto's kick down far too much...especially on a diesel. I had a BMW 525tds auto once..it was a nightmare. All it wanted to to was rev its nuts off all the time, yet BMW claimed the engine made max torque at 1900rpm.....an rpm you would never be able to use effectively.