www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old September 21st, 2018, 14:31   #1
jason_
Veteran Member

Default Tsi engines

Seeing their chain drive and maintenence interval show absolutely nothing of chain and tensioner replacement (updated or not), what's a good milesge to expect, especially for those who don't have vcds?

I'm under the assumption the cleaner the oil the longer the parts might last..sooner oci? 7k?

Opinion?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 17:29   #2
w123houston

i had a 2013 audi allroad with a 2.0t TFSI motor. audi recommended a 10k oci and didnt provide a dipstick. only a silly oil level check in the mmi. however, one can work around that issue and still monitor oil quality with a proper dipstick. i noticed the oil started looking dirty around the 7k mark and typically changed the oil at 7-7.5k. they are turbo motors so oil quality is critical
w123houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 18:55   #3
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): .

Some will say that you should eventually change the chain, guides and tensioners and others won't... Like anything mechanical, it will eventually wear... How fast? Who knows. As long as I don't hear any rattles or changes in engine performance I won't touch it. Oil change intervals I do every 6k, but only because I drive 10k a year... If I was driving more I'd be doing the factory recommended intervals at 10k
2.2TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2018, 10:28   #4
jason_
Veteran Member

Yeah, there's not alot of documentation. But if carbon deposits are getting in the oil, hence the darker color, and if they don't specify a mileage to replace it, I would just assume clean oil shouldn't hurt anything. Metal on metal with not perfectly clean lubrication, as minimal it might be, is still something...

Ecs tuning has filter and oil kits for $37. Really can't go wrong with a piece of mind 3k sooner...

14 changes vs 10 over 100k miles.

Whats $170 over several months to possibly eliminate premature failure?

Doesn't really change my intentions, more or less wanted some possible personal experience and advice.

I do plan to measure and check stretch with vcds every oil change.

Old September 22nd, 2018, 11:13   #5
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

the carbon deposit on the valves is the thing that is inevitable and has me worried the most quite frankly... it's not really a big deal as the valves just need to be cleaned st some point, it's just the pain in the ass of having to do the cleaning... I hope i'll still be under warranty when that day comes because at least I won't have to do the first one. Also, there unfortunately is nothing that can be done to prevent it... some will say oil catch cans, higher octane fuel, low evaporation oil, blah blah but in reality these tsi engines need direct injection AND multi port, which of course most tsi engines in Europe get, but not here in north america
Old September 23rd, 2018, 06:12   #6
jason_
Veteran Member

Carbon deposit on intakes sounds like a generic direct injected headache, no matter who makes it.

So back to the timing chain, of the tsi

Old September 23rd, 2018, 07:42   #7
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ View Post
Carbon deposit on intakes sounds like a generic direct injected headache, no matter who makes it.

So back to the timing chain, of the tsi

Like I said I wouldn't worry about the chain. Have a look on mk7forums for more info...
Old September 23rd, 2018, 17:24   #8
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

New oil is NOT clean oil. The sizes of particles that do any damage are not visible to the naked eye. Any discoloration is just thermal effects and dilution of deposits in the oil that are not filterable as they are effectively dissolved.

If you want to know what is going on with your oil - do oil analysis. Changing it at 7k vs 10k without any data to justify it won't do anything but make you feel good and may actually cause MORE damage to your engine since it's probably dirtier than the oil you're draining out. You can likely go much longer than 10k if you have the data to justify it. They need to put something in the owners manual for people to follow.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 20:32   #9
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
New oil is NOT clean oil. The sizes of particles that do any damage are not visible to the naked eye. Any discoloration is just thermal effects and dilution of deposits in the oil that are not filterable as they are effectively dissolved.

If you want to know what is going on with your oil - do oil analysis. Changing it at 7k vs 10k without any data to justify it won't do anything but make you feel good and may actually cause MORE damage to your engine since it's probably dirtier than the oil you're draining out. You can likely go much longer than 10k if you have the data to justify it. They need to put something in the owners manual for people to follow.
Now this is something I've never heard of until today... I'm not agreeing or disagreeing as I don't have sufficient knowledge on this topic. But, from the point of view of the owners manual, if you only drive 2000 miles a year, and the owners manual suggests oil changes every 10000 miles OR 1 year, isn't it for good reason? I was under the impression that mileage isn't the main proponent of oil life and that time, based on what kind oil you're using, is a major factor also.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 20:47   #10
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

It's engine oil, not milk - it won't go bad by just sitting there.

To avoid becoming too complicated, my opinion is that the owners manual is simplified and conservative to protect VW in warranty situations.

2000 miles in a year, 2 miles at a time is a lot different than 2000 miles in a year 500 miles at a time. They're not going to put all this detail in the owners manual.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 21:13   #11
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
It's engine oil, not milk - it won't go bad by just sitting there.

To avoid becoming too complicated, my opinion is that the owners manual is simplified and conservative to protect VW in warranty situations.

2000 miles in a year, 2 miles at a time is a lot different than 2000 miles in a year 500 miles at a time. They're not going to put all this detail in the owners manual.
Well I agree that oil is not milk and clearly in other parts of the world vw even suggests longer intervals (Europe is 2 years or 30000km based on using vw long life oil, which from what I know is 504/507 spec meaning the CR tdis here should be rated for that interval in North America, but their not...)

Then yes you have factors like climate and driving conditions which will effect the life of the oil too. Anyways... I'm sure this can be debated all day
Old September 24th, 2018, 02:36   #12
jason_
Veteran Member

Whoa here!

Quote:
........ New oil is NOT clean oil. ..... may actually cause MORE damage to your engine since it's probably dirtier than the oil you're draining out.
The new shelf bought oil might be dirtier then what I'm draining out?

I'll need to compute this before commenting...

Old September 25th, 2018, 09:29   #13
jason_
Veteran Member

Yeah, no compute.

I want to read some articles. Can you post anything regarding fresh bought oil is less clean then what comes out of an engine that's had some mileage on it?

Old September 25th, 2018, 09:37   #14
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Those engines have a LOT of problems, even if they finally did at least make some improvements to the crappy chain drive. I think you'll find lots of other things to be concerned about long before it needs a chain (and in many cases, long before the diesels would have needed a belt).
Old September 25th, 2018, 10:14   #15
jason_
Veteran Member

Well yeah, but now I'm intrigued on the possibility all that oil I see sitting at the parts store in jugs is more dirty then what I drain out with 10k on it..