Stanadyne additive in 2013 VW Golf TDI (void warranty?)

frosterrj

TDI
2005 Passat Silver/Black; 2013 TDI SportWagen 6M White/Black
Which Stanadyne are we talking about?

I know they have multiple products but am only familiar with the Lubricity which I use in my B5 Passat

I just got a 13 JSW 6M TDI, and would use the Stanadyne in that too unless the lubricity formula is the wrong one.

Has lubricity levels been implicated in the HPFP failures or just bad design (like the BSM in my passat)?

Robert

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Has lubricity levels been implicated in the HPFP failures or just bad design (like the BSM in my passat)?
Very definitely implicated. Bosch has actually released charts and graphs that show research that states that fuel pump life is directly related to fuel lubricity. The higher (worse) the lubricity numbers, the shorter is the lifespan of the pump. The more lubricious the fuel, the longer the pump life. Bad design is also implicated as well, but the design problems are mainly related to the materials choices made to deal with the (sometimes) poor lubricity of US diesel fuel.

Have Fun!

Don

frosterrj

TDI
2005 Passat Silver/Black; 2013 TDI SportWagen 6M White/Black
So Stanadyne Lubricity = good for 13 JSW....?

obsidian_viii

TDI
2013 VW Golf TDI
DAMN! I had no idea my issue would be looked into so well haha, thanks alot guys! After people mentioned the gasoline/diesel section differences in the manual and I realized there was a difference, I've come to the conclusion that not only do they not NOT recommend diesel additives, but really the only thing that comes close in my 2013 manual is that "start assist fluids" are not recommended (but even then not encouraged against).

Now I'm onto the search for the best additive. Currently looking into Opti-Lube and Stanadyne. Thanks again for the responses guys! Cruising around RVA till next time...

Maffken

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 A4 Jetta ALH
The pump may be labeled as 40 cetane minimum, but the odds are that it is around 45. That's the national average based on fuel surveys done by Infineum.
Average as in some get left out. I've had some really bad fuel over hear. I dumped a ton of PS into it and it still barely ran; and that was on the ALH :eek:.

Starting fluid/sprays is a really bad idea on diesels. I've heard some people use it with success but it's basically a last ditch effort before throwing the thing in a junkyard. Never use it in a newer diesel.

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
As previously explained, VW doesn't recommend or forbid because they would then have some explaining to do whereas they would rather you take the responsibility.

jahlov420

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen MANUAL! DPF-Delete @ stage 2
DAMN! I had no idea my issue would be looked into so well haha, thanks alot guys! After people mentioned the gasoline/diesel section differences in the manual and I realized there was a difference, I've come to the conclusion that not only do they not NOT recommend diesel additives, but really the only thing that comes close in my 2013 manual is that "start assist fluids" are not recommended (but even then not encouraged against).

Now I'm onto the search for the best additive. Currently looking into Opti-Lube and Stanadyne. Thanks again for the responses guys! Cruising around RVA till next time...

WOOT. chesterfield

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Nothing to wonder about. VW recommended Stanadyne for previous models to help protect against the change from Diesel to LSD to ULSD; many dealerships stock some still as well.

DieselDub78

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SE...I've used Standyne since new at every second to third tank fill up...Just this month i reached 98K and my high pressure fuel pump granaded, VW declined to cover the claim because The Special tool they use which has an emoji smiley face and frown face came back as a Frown face with my diesel. Almost a month and $7400 later i got my car back, thank god for insurance ($500 deduc). Timing belt driven pump fails and contaminates all the way back to the fuel tank.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
Ether / starting fluids and electric heated engine parts are bad juju. You never know when the glow plug sees all that gunk in the intake, but it is explosively funny.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
DieselDub78, the frowny face fuel test got me too, but for a failed dpf and plugged egr, Ive never used an additive in this car, got a comprehensive fueling log etc etc, they sent me to pack sand with a 250 dollar diagnostic fee, I was not impressed, I replaced my own exhaust and I'm glad to be done with the extended emissions warranty.