Confused about timing belt replacement write-up

itsmatt

TDI
1998 Jetta
Hi,

I've been looking over the TDIFAQ section that has the steps for a timing belt replacement on my A3 and toward the end there is the statement "If you have a a cable and computer this is where you check the timing" and then some shots of using the VAG-COM program and a laptop.

Is the VAG-COM application and cable necessary for a successful timing belt replacement?

Thanks,
Matt

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
For just the replacement, no. To be sure that the timing is set to the optimum point, yes.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Not 100% necessary, your car will start and run, but it could be out of adjustment and cause hard starts and/or poor mileage so you will want to get the car checked with vag com shortly after the timing belt job is done to make sure it is adjusted into spec.

if you cannot get access to vag com during or shortly after, I would be hesitant to do the job.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I would answer yes.

At our last local Timing belt GTG, we only had one car out of six where the timing was within spec right after the change. A couple were so advanced the timing was off the VCDS chart.

If your timing is too retarded, it will be hard to start - too advanced can cause engine damage.

If your doing a belt, have VCDS handy.