Automatic Transmission Fluid Changes

Kier

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Limited Diesel Edition, DSG, Reflex Silver/Anthracite
Does VW recommend changing the Auto Trans Fluid at a specified interval? I was checking the OM and it states that it is a sealed system and doesn't provide any change interval. This is for a 2003 Jetta TDI with the 4-Speed Automatic. My other car is a 2004 TDI-PD Wagon with a 5-Speed Manual and I cannot find any info on change intervals for the Manual either.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
VW doesn't specify a fluid change interval for the AT. However, our collective experience indicates that 80K is a good interval for a fluid and filter change. Search for the procedure.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Any indication that doing it more often would extend the life of the tranny?

I was disappointed to hear that several slushbox's have gone t*ts up after ~125K. :(

My wifes Jetta 4A has 154K without trouble so far.......getting nervous. :D

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
auto trans fluid

spoilsport said:
Any indication that doing it more often would extend the life of the tranny?

I was disappointed to hear that several slushbox's have gone t*ts up after ~125K. :(

My wifes Jetta 4A has 154K without trouble so far.......getting nervous. :D
my beetle has 143,000 on it and i want to get it change but the service manger and the service tec say no. :confused: :(

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on pulling an oil sample on the oil? Good idea, bad idea, worthless idea, can't be done?

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
our shop will advise auto trans fluid and filter change at 100k, also dsg trans fluid change should be done at 40k (note needs to be done by dealer) with vag-com and special type trans fluid.

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
Would reccomend changing tranny fluid at 100K

If you are up over 100K miles, I would definitely reccomend changing your tranny fluid and filter. Its going to look rather nasty, I'm sure that by that mileage the filter has to be quite dirty also. Draining the pan and changing the filter is only going to get about 1/3 of the total tranny fluid though. Because the cooler is in the transmission, I'm not sure how you could do a complete fluid flush.

Capture1

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Beetle Yellow
vwrobert51 said:
our shop will advise auto trans fluid and filter change at 100k, also dsg trans fluid change should be done at 40k (note needs to be done by dealer) with vag-com and special type trans fluid.
I looked on the VW website and this is the lising for scheduled maintenance for my o4 TDI Beetle...note no mention of the DSG transmission.
  • Transmission - check for leaks
  • Automatic Transmission - check for leaks
Is 40,000 miles change interval listed anywhere in the manual? How much is a typical change at a dealership? I know, I know prices vary but I am just looking for a ball park estimate.

Thanks.

Capture1

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Beetle Yellow
Just got a quote from the dealer and it is between $300 to $350 to change the DSG transmission fluid. The 40,000 chnage interval is in an insert to the Beetle manual and not in the normal maintenance section

From a previous quote "also dsg trans fluid change should be done at 40k (note needs to be done by dealer) with vag-com and special type trans fluid." Why does it need to be done by the dealer? Why do I need a vag-com just to change the transmission fluid? Can anyone shed some light on the special process required to change the DSG transmission fluid. I normally change all the tranny fluid and filter on my cars but I am a little worried after hearing that you need the vag-com to do this.

Thanks.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
If fluid has never been changed and you have 150K on it I would really think hard before changing it. Many times I have seen fluid changed in a high mileage auto and then they develope a problem right after. New clean fluid can cause carbon or what ever to break loose and then it goes through the system and will jam up a valve or plug and orfice. So I am not saying don't change it but just be aware of what could happen.

Greg
Aloha from Hawaii

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Forget about the dealer

Capture1 said:
Just got a quote from the dealer and it is between $300 to $350 to change the DSG transmission fluid.

Why does it need to be done by the dealer? Why do I need a vag-com just to change the transmission fluid? Can anyone shed some light on the special process required to change the DSG transmission fluid.
There is no dipstick on MKIV or MKV automatic transmissions. Without a dipstick, the only way to check for proper filling of the tranny is with a VAG-COM. If you go to Wingnut's excellent thread you'll find the procedure for the non-DSG tranny.

I see no reason you need to pay a dealer to do this, with the proper tools (VC), it should be cake, or take it to a trusted garage after you buy the necessary parts (fluid, filter, seals, etc.).

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
You don't even need VagCom to do this. Change the fluid and fill it up so it starts to run out the plug. Then plug it and go drive it till everything is nice and hot. On level ground with engine running pull the plug and if nothing comes out add till it does. If fluid comes out let it run out till it stops. This is not rocket science and this works well. This is the very same procedure that a well known German trans builder uses in OR. The only difference is they add 1/2 a quart after they put the plug back in.

Greg

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
If you measure the amount the you remove, adding the same back in should be all that's necessary.

Capture1

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Beetle Yellow
I found a local shop the does VWs. I am having them change the fluid and filter.

Here is a portion of the communication I had from them.

Ok....just finalized the facts VW tech services..

The unit you have did not come in to full production until
2005....apparently there were some of these in 2004.....

The code for yours is GYS 02E unit

It requires not only a synthetic, but a special synthetic peculiar to the
02E unit....

Several dealers I spoke with had no knowledge of this and even argued that the fluid should never be changed.....they're wrong...it is to be changed every 40K just as you noted. They also sold me the wrong tranny fluid....so I am returning it and have the correct super synthetic and the correct filter on its way. Nashville VW is shipping it and it will be here
tommorrow.

The service procedure for you unit is also quite different, it requires
removal of the air cleaner housing and several cooler lines to get access to
the filter and housing...in addition to that, it takes a dedicated scan tool
( which we do have) that monitors the transmission computer while filling
the fluid to just the proper level...pretty near rocket science...

Has anyone else had to change the fluid and filter in their DSG tranmission yet?