FYI: DPF regen info from my '09 TDI

jerryfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS sedan @295K, 99 Jetta sedan 275k,. 2015 tdi sedan, 105k
is there an agreed upon oil ash volume when the filter is full of ash? ive heard some people mention 380-450 ml?

currently at 120 ml @ 100k mile

Andy_2009_JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (DSG)[SOLD BACK], 2012 Golf 2.5L Gasser (5MT), 2017 Alltrack S (6MT)
is there an agreed upon oil ash volume when the filter is full of ash? ive heard some people mention 380-450 ml?

currently at 120 ml @ 100k mile
Yes -- 175ml Max.

Check the 'dpf data collection' sticky thread in this forum. One guy there noticed decreased mileage when at 165ml, as well as various CELs. The oil ash load jumped to 180ml in like 2000 miles IIRC, along with lots of lights on the dash.

EDIT: OK, so apparently 175ml is not a hard maximum like I'd thought. This thread shows a TDI with nearly 400K miles and an ash load of 369ml, and they were apparently not seeing/reporting any DPF-related issues; see post 24 and later: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=409845

Last edited:

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Regen info after turbo failure & replacement

Due to a turbo failure and replacement recently, I decided to immediately hook up VAGCOM when I picked the car up from the dealer. During the turbo failure and limping the car to the dealership, I had smoke come out the exhaust. I'm certain that was engine oil from the blown turbo getting into the exhaust system. Once the repair was done the technician ran the car until it stopped smoking. I also had the intake manifold replaced since the manifold flap wasn't working. The turbo is new, not remanufactured. The car ran great for two days (200 + miles), but now I have the constant fault code P00AF - Actuator Module for Turbocharger Intermittent / Stuck. Car is at the dealership... again. None the less, I thought I would post the regen info I was able to capture. If there is any good data from this whole experience it would be the oil ash volume remained the same before and after the turbo failure + engine oil in the DPF and smoking exhaust. :eek:

Mileage: 137,537 (begin trip leaving dealership)
Requested Regenerations 2
Particle Filter Oil Ash Volume 138 ml
Soot Load(g) Calculated 9.3
Soot Load(g) Measured 0.0

Mileage: 137,586
408.0°C Temperature prior Turbo Charger
324.0°C Temperature prior Particle Filter
324.0°C Temperature after Particle Filter
324.0°C Temperature prior Precatalytic Converter
294.0°C Temperature prior Particle Filter
Requested Regenerations 3
Fuel Consumption Since last Regen 11.9
Mileage Since last Regen 220km
Time elapsed since Regeneration 168
Particle Filter Oil Ash Volume 138ml
Soot Load(g) Calculated 12.6
Soot Load(g) Measured 0.3

Mileage: 137,597
Requested Regenerations 3
Fuel Consumption Since last Regen 17.3
Mileage Since last Regen 330 km
Soot Load(g) Calculated 13.5
Soot Load(g) Measured .9

** Regen begins - mile 137,654
Requested Regenerations 5
Soot Load(g) Calculated 16
Soot Load(g) Measured 2.4

** Regen ends – mile 137,659
I believe the “Active” regen ended, but a “Passive” one continued. The sound of the regen quieted down, but continued. The DPF readings continued to drop which is why I think the car was still going through some sort of regen process.

678.0°C Temperature prior Turbo Charger
546.0°C Temperature prior Particle Filter
648.0°C Temperature after Particle Filter
648.0°C Temperature prior Precatalytic Converter
522.0°C Temperature prior Particle Filter
Requested Regenerations 2
Fuel Consumption Since last Regen .3
Mileage Since last Regen 0
Soot Load(g) Calculated 3.9

Mileage: 137,660
198.0°C Temperature prior Turbo Charger
246.0°C Temperature prior Particle Filter
282.0°C Temperature after Particle Filter
282.0°C Temperature prior Precatalytic Converter
390.0°C Temperature prior Particle Filter
Requested Regenerations 1
Fuel Consumption Since last Regen .5
Mileage Since last Regen 0
Soot Load(g) Calculated 3.6

Mileage: 137,664 (final readings)
192.0°C Temperature prior Turbo Charger
210.0°C Temperature prior Particle Filter
228.0°C Temperature after Particle Filter
228.0°C Temperature prior Precatalytic Converter
240.0°C Temperature prior Particle Filter
Requested Regenerations 0
Fuel Consumption Since last Regen .5
Soot Load(g) Calculated 3.6

I sat in a parking lot for the last few minutes of the regen – engine still running of course. Idle speed / fan speed back to normal. The temps dropped dramatically from when the regen process was taking place.

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
Do all DSG's in all models of VW have to be concerned about DPF? My 06 DSG TDI book does not mention it. Why is it such a concern?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Do all DSG's in all models of VW have to be concerned about DPF? My 06 DSG TDI book does not mention it. Why is it such a concern?
DSG and DPF are completely unrelated. One is a transmission and the other is an emissions component. Your car has a DSG transmission, but it does not have a DPF. A DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) started being used on North American TDIs with the 2009 model year.

As to why it is a concern (it is not to you); it has to do with replacement cost. If all works well, a DPF should last for several hundred thousand miles. However, if a sensor fails or other things cause it to not burn off the trapped soot (regenerate); it can clog up and cause very expensive repairs.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
DSG and DPF are completely unrelated. One is a transmission and the other is an emissions component. Your car has a DSG transmission, but it does not have a DPF. A DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) started being used on North American TDIs with the 2009 model year.

As to why it is a concern (it is not to you); it has to do with replacement cost. If all works well, a DPF should last for several hundred thousand miles. However, if a sensor fails or other things cause it to not burn off the trapped soot (regenerate); it can clog up and cause very expensive repairs.

Have Fun!

Don
I'm in the USA
What is in the end of my front exhaust pipe that looks like a small cat?
2003 Jetta TDI wagon
TIA
Rich W.

vwjsw2013

TDI
Jetta SportsWagen
At 28,000 miles my DPF light went on for the first time. I had no idea what this was , so I reviewed the owner’s manual and saw that I needed to clean out the filter by driving 45 MPH on 4th gear (I have a manual trans) for about 15 minutes. I tried that and fortunately the light did go out. However, it has happened twice more since then. Both times the light went out after I drove it “hard” to rev up the PRMs. I’m now at 29,000 miles.
I’m glad the light went out each time, but I’m worried that I’ll have a problem since this seems to now be happening frequently to me. My questions are:
1. Is this a big concern?
2. Why is this (DPF Light coming on) happening all of the sudden when it never happened before?
3. How often do I need to really rev up the RPMs to make sure this doesn’t keep happening to me?
This is my first diesel car, and I’ve never experienced anything like this before in any of my previous cars, so any advice any of you more experienced diesel drivers could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
What kind of driving do you do? Is it all in town, stop and go, low speed driving? If so, this will cause troubles with the DPF system.

vwjsw2013

TDI
Jetta SportsWagen
Thanks for the reply. Most driving is to/from work: 17 miles each way. Only 3 traffic lights and 4 stop signs the whole way, so I can keep up a good constant speed the whole time and generally get great gas mileage (many tanks over 50 MPG). Very little "city" type driving, which I understand from reading some other posts, is hardest on the filter.

vwjsw2013

TDI
Jetta SportsWagen
Again, thanks.
I do have another question, if you don’t mind. Based on reading this forum, the VCDS seems to provide a lot of good information to the vehicle owner. It appears that one very important bit of information is that amount of “oil ash” that is trapped in the DPF. It seems that in most cases this would be a bigger issue than the amount of soot, since the soot gets burned off (as least assuming the unit is functioning properly), but that the oil ash stays in permanently, and that is what eventually kills the DPF after, admittedly, a very long time (100,000+ miles).
My question is: is there anything I can do, myself, that reduces the amount of oil ash that my car generates? I know that I would need to use 507.0 oil and, fortunately all my oil changes have been with 507.0 (I went back and checked the service invoices). But, for example, is there any particular brand of diesel fuel that is considered “cleaner” in this regard? Or is there any particular way I should drive the car that is less conducive to the formation of oil ash? Or do I just make sure I always use 507.0 oil, and nothing more I can actively do to prolong the life of the DPF?

vwjsw2013

TDI
Jetta SportsWagen
To answer your question, my car is a 2013 Sportswagen, that I bought new in Dec. of ’12. It now has about 29,000 miles. I’m about to take it in for the 30,000 mile service so, at that time, I’ll ask the dealer to test the DPF to measure the oil ash. That will give me a baseline for now until I order, receive, and install the VCDS. I think part of my problem (with the DPF light coming on) may be the way I drive, since the few traffic lights I encounter to/from work are quite long, and I often turn off the ignition to save fuel. It seems that practice might interfere with the regen process, and could be my problem, although I’m still perplexed why I didn’t have this problem for the first 28,000 miles I owned the car. In any event, now that I’m aware of this issue, I’ll just let the car idle at the traffic lights from now on, and see if that changes things. Better to waste a little fuel than do damage to the DPF.