Audi 80 B4 96' 1z tunning

solo2k

TDI
1.9 Tdi
Hi,
I have an Audi 80 B4 1996' with a 1Z 90bhp engine.

My questions here are about how to make real horsepower to smoke any kind of BMW's or cars that are mostly in EU.

The dream I have is about to get the engine to about 250-300hp, and to know if I gas it, it starts eating the road.

So, what should I start buying and getting HP's?

A friend of mine told me to get a new turbo (bigger one) then soft it (remapping) to 130-150hp.

So, these are my questions:
1. Where can I find a decent turbo for my 1Z?
2. What are the requirements for a stage 2/3?
3. Is possible to get the engine around 250? If yes, what modifications will get it there?

Thanks to all of you. :cool:

Almost1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Sedan
From what I read 250whp is unrealistic on the 1z. There's plenty of modifications out there to increase fueling, but the block requires work after around ~160 or so.

That being said, I have stage 2 on mine and I love it. It makes it a great economical daily driver.

Read up here about tunes: https://s-pautomotive.com/malone-tuning/

This is the only bolt-on turbo for the 1z that I know of without moving away from the wastegate: https://kermatdi.com/i-198-k03-k04-hybrid-turbo-for-mk3-b4-96-99-jetta-96-97-passat.html

I also got my injector nozzles from Kerma, but I don't know how well it's going to work with them and you being in Romania

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
The 1z can easily get to 170hp with moderate mods with little I eternal engine components. But that's about it unless your going to face the fact that
A:you have a really deep wallet
B: you understand that longevity is out the window.
C: your willing to get custom and wait for parts

Big nozzles
Turbo
Tune
Clutch
That's the basics
I put down 230hp with stock internals and it didnt last long lol
You want it to last more than 30k your looking at
Really big nozzles tuned 2 stage with an egt gauge
11mm IP
Better intake manifold
Egr delete
Full head work (bigger valves, cam, springs, port polish, studs)
Big exhaust 2.5 or 3"
Big turbo 30psi to 38psi
Custom stage 4 tune or higher
Hard core clutch
Girdle plate
And much more
A lot of suspention mod
A deep pocket for trans mods like Limited slip diff and so on,
And a ton of parts to make it all work

170hp your looking at about a grand in engine work
200+ $3 grand
Want past 230hp your looking at a 5 grand job just in parts and machine work
100mm crank and 82mm pistons

Look
Just get some reliable 520 nozzles and a 17series turbo with a clutch and a tune and stick with 150hp range.
With the money you will put into getting past or at 200hp you could go buy a car that will run laps around what you can build.

solo2k

TDI
1.9 Tdi
The 1z can easily get to 170hp with moderate mods with little I eternal engine components. But that's about it unless your going to face the fact that
A:you have a really deep wallet
B: you understand that longevity is out the window.
C: your willing to get custom and wait for parts

Big nozzles
Turbo
Tune
Clutch
That's the basics
I put down 230hp with stock internals and it didnt last long lol
You want it to last more than 30k your looking at
Really big nozzles tuned 2 stage with an egt gauge
11mm IP
Better intake manifold
Egr delete
Full head work (bigger valves, cam, springs, port polish, studs)
Big exhaust 2.5 or 3"
Big turbo 30psi to 38psi
Custom stage 4 tune or higher
Hard core clutch
Girdle plate
And much more
A lot of suspention mod
A deep pocket for trans mods like Limited slip diff and so on,
And a ton of parts to make it all work

170hp your looking at about a grand in engine work
200+ $3 grand
Want past 230hp your looking at a 5 grand job just in parts and machine work
100mm crank and 82mm pistons

Look
Just get some reliable 520 nozzles and a 17series turbo with a clutch and a tune and stick with 150hp range.
With the money you will put into getting past or at 200hp you could go buy a car that will run laps around what you can build.

Okay, so, I asked a performance garage for what mods should I get to tune the car.
They told me, exactly these:

a) I go direct stage 2 (intercooler, bigger turbo, bigger injectors (2L or 2.2L), exhaust and a SOFT) should get me to 130-150hp

Since, I want a little more, I asked more.

b) So, the list of "spicy" things is: exhaust, turbo, softing, new clutch, bigger injectors with EGT gauge, new admission gallery, EGR delete, bigger turbo to 36-38psi.

Now, I'm asking you guys, where can I find a good Turbo / Injectors and an exhaust with homologation to EU Roads. (Romania has alot of problems with the law for cars modifications (tints, exhaust, smokes, car sounds/bass, etc.)

My bugdet for those 3 things (+ mounting requirements) is around 1-2k euros.

Thanks for the quick reply. :rolleyes:

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
AHU/1Z is not a good tuning platform and not able to create massive power without big upgrades to the block. I have mine at stage 2 and it is very enjoyable to drive, but nothing that is going to smoke other cars.

Since you are in the EU(?) you may have access to swap in something like the ARL. But watch out, it gets expensive, fast. That being said, very powerful 1Zs have certainly been built.

You may want to do some research in the TDI Power Mods forum.

Last edited: