Help clutch problems

Sblendid

TDI
Golf 1.9 tdi
Hi, going back a few weeks ago, my clutch pedal was sticking a bit on my 2008 vw golf 1.9tdi then the next day it was stuck all together with no pressure at all in it.

Went in the garage for new clutch, had it back and the very next day gone again.

Called aa who bleed it and it was great for 2 days, however the problem came back, pedal stuck to floor and no pressure.

Called the garage who said I would need a new slave cylinder. Had that done and the very next day. Exact same problem.

Been back in now and have bleed it again however I can all ready start to feel the pedal sticking again.

I did have a noisy thrust bearing before it went and I've still got the same noisy bearing now? Any advice would be great.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Well, if the fluid is not leaking out, anywhere, then isn't it obvious your throw out /thrust bearing is bad! Pull the trans and replace the clutch. Go with a upgraded clutch while your at it.
First step is to inspect the flywheel for wetness. Reguardless your replacing the clutch so just get it done!

Sblendid

TDI
Golf 1.9 tdi
I had the clutch done, 3 piece clutch kit as fitted. Thought the release bearing was part of that kit. Didn't realise it was obvious sorry if I'm sounding dumb I don't know a great deal about cars sorry. Was purely looking for some advice

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Well, if the fluid is not leaking out, anywhere, then isn't it obvious your throw out /thrust bearing is bad! Pull the trans and replace the clutch. Go with a upgraded clutch while your at it.
First step is to inspect the flywheel for wetness. Reguardless your replacing the clutch so just get it done!

If you read his first post he did replace the clutch.......whether or not the throw out bearing was changed is another matter....

Sblendid

TDI
Golf 1.9 tdi
I'm assuming it would of been, the 3 piece clutch kit comes with the bearing doesn't it? My knowledge is very limited lol

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
That’s ok......we all start with limited knowledge then go from there...

Can you post what kit you got?

Sblendid

TDI
Golf 1.9 tdi
I honestly do not know lol, the garage ordered the parts and fitted it for me, I just spoke with him now he says the bearing was changed so I'm assuming it's not that. I've still got pressure at the moment but it's sticking in the lower gears and reverse seems to be the worst

Sblendid

TDI
Golf 1.9 tdi
From googling the only thing left to change is the master cylinder? Don't know how big of a job this is

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
If the clutch was not aligned properly, it will cause things to wear really fast. My guess is it's the thrust bearing. You need to find out the brand used there are good kits and generically bad parts. Usually shops go the cheapest in parts from their typical vendors, napa and other genetically bad box store brands.
Honestly I would take it to one of our trusted mechanics. There is a sticky here of trusted TDI mechanics by state.
Not trying to be a smarty pants. Sorry. Just that it's really rare to see a clutch master fail. When they do fail it's that they leak and dont hold firm pressure anymore rather than what you have an issue with. It feels to me that whatever issue it is, it's with the clutch side not the hydraulics.
Now you mention that it's not the same for every gear? That points my thinking into the shift tower. When was the fluid changed last? Might be worth popping the top of the shifter tower off and inspecting that. Does it feel normal on the shifter, as in you dont have to force anything other than the clutch?

Last edited:

Sblendid

TDI
Golf 1.9 tdi
Since my last message the clutch has gone to the floor again. With no pressure and back to square 1 now where I started

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mongler......he’s on the other side of the pond......our trusted mechanic TDI list will do him no good there.....

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From googling the only thing left to change is the master cylinder? Don't know how big of a job this is

Unless your master cylinder is different , it’s just a reservoir for the fluid for the slave cylinder for the clutch, it shouldn’t affect your clutch unless it’s not allowing fluid to the slave cylinder.

I would try to bleed the slave cylinder again.
As for the noisy bearing, possible could have been damaged upon reinstallation.....

Last edited:

Sblendid

TDI
Golf 1.9 tdi
I shall try the bleed again, the garage says this is the only thing left to change that holds the pressure on the clutch.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
In case I missed it - which transmission and slave cylinder setup do you have?

I have seen new hydraulic parts damaged because they were installed dry and manually bleed. Bench bleeding components before install helps alleviate some issues.

If this is a 6speed then thrust bearing is the slave cylinder. I would be concerned abotu why the bearing is noisy as that may be the source of your woes.

Jason

Sblendid

TDI
Golf 1.9 tdi
It's a 5 speed manual diesel.

Just taking it to a different garage who has showed me the clutch fluid pissing out from the master cylinder when the clutch is being pumped.

Arghhh

Sblendid

TDI
Golf 1.9 tdi
I just took it to a different garage and they showed me the fluid coming out of the master cylinder whilst the clutch is being pumped.

Argghh

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
If the clutch was not aligned properly, it will cause things to wear really fast. My guess is it's the thrust bearing. You need to find out the brand used there are good kits and generically bad parts. Usually shops go the cheapest in parts from their typical vendors, napa and other genetically bad box store brands.
Honestly I would take it to one of our trusted mechanics. There is a sticky here of trusted TDI mechanics by state.
Not trying to be a smarty pants. Sorry. Just that it's really rare to see a clutch master fail. When they do fail it's that they leak and dont hold firm pressure anymore rather than what you have an issue with. It feels to me that whatever issue it is, it's with the clutch side not the hydraulics.
Now you mention that it's not the same for every gear? That points my thinking into the shift tower. When was the fluid changed last? Might be worth popping the top of the shifter tower off and inspecting that. Does it feel normal on the shifter, as in you dont have to force anything other than the clutch?
Don't think these cranks have a thrust bearing.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well. Then that's good news. Change the master! Keep the old one and tear it apart and show us how it failed. Be I teresting to see how much crud is in there to make it bind and leak like that.

Sblendid

TDI
Golf 1.9 tdi
Will do thank you all for your advice and help, lets just hope this is the cure to my problem lol

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Thurst/throwout bearing
Didnt mean on the crank.
Thrust bearing is in the end of the crankshaft. A throwout bearing is what is used on the clutch fork to press on the pressure plate.

At least that's the way i learned it from the old days.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
So your first mechanic couldn't find an obvious leak that was blatantly squirting from the master, even after checking things multiple times? Sounds like a new mechanic is in order.

Sblendid

TDI
Golf 1.9 tdi
I won't slag one mechanic off against another, at least now the problem is found and hopefully will be cured. All be it somewhat out of pocket lol

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
lesson learned, never pay for work that does not fix the issue. always use a major credit card and tell the shop that your not going to pay for service or parts unless the issue is fixed.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I won't slag one mechanic off against another, at least now the problem is found and hopefully will be cured. All be it somewhat out of pocket lol
You had a crap mechanic from the start. This - "Called aa who bleed it and it was great for 2 days, however the problem came back, pedal stuck to floor and no pressure." is not the symptom of a bad clutch. it is the symptom of no pressure - ie hydraulic leak.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Fast way to get a mechanics lien placed on your car.
Well, pessimist here, but as long as you don't sell it then no problem. But I see the point.

Sblendid said:
Not saying you go on SM and blast him, but would definitely have issues with multiple visits, and entire clutch replaced (can't be cheap), because wrong diagnosis. If you pardon the saying, the mechanic loaded up the parts cannon and starting firing at your expense. UNLESS you asked for the clutch anyway. Then I apologize.

But pedal sticking to floor and not returning is usually hydraulic NOT mechanical. First step should have been to bleed it and see if it got better. Or just pump the pedal a few times by hand.

I hope the first mechanic is going to credit you some $$ for some of that repair they botched.

Jason

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Small claims and mechanical liens all start with or end with a court hearing. Unless your under contract, good luck. I've told shops right from the start, I'm not paying for your service and parts if what you work on that you say is the problem does not fix the issue. Once I had to fight it, 30 minute court appearance. Shop lost.
If you dont give them that notice in writing, and both parties sign, yes it's all hear say. Always get stuff in writing. Good shops will stand by this.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The rules vary from state to state. Check them or with a lawyer before taking any action. I would imagine any shop would send you away or give you a huge estimate for anything you want done just to get rid of you, if you said or asked them to sign something like that. I wouldn't do any work for you. I understand why you would want this but don't think anyone but you would be willing to sign it.

Last edited: