99 jetta tdi 1.9 starts then shuts right off

toplineauto

TDI
99 jetta tdi 1.9
alright guys & gals im a new tdi owner. Bought the car and it was wrecked, put an intercooler on it and patched up a few things and she ran like a champ. one day i ran in the store and came out it wasnt running. went to start it and it would start then just die. towed it to a garage who works on diesels and he said it needed a fuel pump, but that the parts alone were $1500. now i got the pump, replaced pump and filter. back to where we started, starts n shuts off. guess im asking for the tdi boot camp for dummies!? thanks!

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
Check the anti shutter valve. Maybe plug the vacuum line on it and see if it starts. Also, have you made sure you puted the fuel system and got all the air bubbles out?

Declan023

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI VNT 17, crappy 0.210 nozzles, Malone stage 4 tune, manual swap, 3 Bar map
How long does it run for? Is there anything flashing on the dash when you try? It might be the immobilizer, mine had a similar problem and it was the immobilizer.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Have you hooked up to Vcds and checked for any codes stored ?
It could be the CPS ( crank position sensor ).
I had one go bad on a bug I’ve been putting back together....
It’s located under the oil filter housing just to the right as viewing the engine from the front.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
For some reason the immobilizer suddenly started getting me occasionally on my '2. Both keys. So far it's started after a few tries. On mine the dash light is at the top center of the speedo, or maybe tach. A key with a car on top.

VCDS reports the event.

But does the '99 even have it???

Hard to believe the pump quit that suddenly without warning.

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Wait a minute, reread your post.

Did you leave it running when you left it? If so it wouldn't be the immobilizer.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
OP....

Did any clues pop out at you when you went through whitedogs "no start troubleshooting guide"? It's a sticky in the 101 forum in case you missed it.