Driver's door doesn't lock sometimes

befarrer

TDI
05 Golf
I've been noticing my 05 Golf driver's door hasn't been locking sometimes when I lock with my fob. When this happens the horn doesn't chirp, if I open the driver's door, the alarm goes off when this happens. Usually when I don't hear the chirp when locking, I can hit unlock twice to unlock all doors, then lock, all doors will lock and the horn will chirp. The odd time, I have had to go in from the passenger side to lock the driver's door manually. No issue with unlocking. Would this be a lock solenoid, or something else? Seems the car knows a door didn't lock, and doesn't chirp to indicate the doors locked.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Can you not roll down the window and lock it then roll it up with the key?
Mine doesn't unlock Everytime so I roll the window down with the key and open the door that way.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Two kinds of Volkswagens: ones that have door latch problems, and ones that will have door latch problems. If we go old enough, though, there is a third, that has no power locks, so won't ever have a door latch problem. I have a couple of those. They are awesome.

Very, VERY common. I do probably 20+ a year. Of my current fleet, that has a grand total of 22 doors, I know of 5 latches that are bad. That I know of. :p

When I bought one of my 4dr Golfs, well used, 3 of the latches were bad.

befarrer

TDI
05 Golf
Ok, I heard of door modules that don't cause the interior lights to come on, my last golf did that on driver's door, stupid auto relock would lock my keys in the car.

How do you roll down/up the windows with the key? I thought that was only the newer VW's.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
To roll down the window, turn the key to the left and after it clicks hold it to the left until the windows roll down. Turning to the right locks the doors and rolls the windows up. After the windows roll up, holding the key longer will close the sunroof of it's open. Holding it left after the windows open will not open the sun roof though.

I was assuming it was the actuator on mine. Looking it's all one piece though.

https://www.idparts.com/front-door-lock-module-left-a4b55-3b1837015as-p-10092.html

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
To roll down the window, turn the key to the left and after it clicks hold it to the left until the windows roll down. Turning to the right locks the doors and rolls the windows up. After the windows roll up, holding the key longer will close the sunroof of it's open. Holding it left after the windows open will not open the sun roof though.

I was assuming it was the actuator on mine. Looking it's all one piece though.

https://www.idparts.com/front-door-lock-module-left-a4b55-3b1837015as-p-10092.html

Funny story about this, I had just recently found out about the windows from the outside trick. A couple weeks back I got my windows re-tinted. They said 4 days keep em rolled up. I put blue painters tape over the controls on the interior to keep my paws or passengers paws off the window controls.

24 hours after tinting, friend and I went to go get sushi. She had just got a new car and wanted to drive so I met her there. I showed her my "new" to me cool trick on an old car then made fun of her when her car didn't do it. Then I realized I had just partially rolled my windows down and back up.

I lost that battle.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Funny story about this, I had just recently found out about the windows from the outside trick. A couple weeks back I got my windows re-tinted. They said 4 days keep em rolled up. I put blue painters tape over the controls on the interior to keep my paws or passengers paws off the window controls.

24 hours after tinting, friend and I went to go get sushi. She had just got a new car and wanted to drive so I met her there. I showed her my "new" to me cool trick on an old car then made fun of her when her car didn't do it. Then I realized I had just partially rolled my windows down and back up.

I lost that battle.
Lol, sometimes that's what we get.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've been noticing my 05 Golf driver's door hasn't been locking sometimes when I lock with my fob. When this happens the horn doesn't chirp, if I open the driver's door, the alarm goes off when this happens. Usually when I don't hear the chirp when locking, I can hit unlock twice to unlock all doors, then lock, all doors will lock and the horn will chirp. The odd time, I have had to go in from the passenger side to lock the driver's door manually. No issue with unlocking. Would this be a lock solenoid, or something else? Seems the car knows a door didn't lock, and doesn't chirp to indicate the doors locked.
Exactly what my 99.5 did, put up with it for years. Did they never improve that?
Believe what actually happens is the door does not know it's closed or open, but that's neither here nor their.
Do not leave your key in the car with windows up, it may lock on it's own.