No AC 2006 Jetta.

Lugnut5

TDI
2006 Jetta
I am new here to a great site.
Just picked this 2006 Jetta TDI up and thanks to the forum I resolved all the other codes and issues.

My remaining codes are common.
Under engine 005697 chk DTC memory of AC controller.
Under HVAC 00819 GPS open or short to ground.

I put gauge set on had about 3 psi, not good.
I hooked up my vacuum pump and couldn't pull the system down. Discovered the old high pressure switch problem. I have no idea how long this car was driven with no system pressure by the P.O.
I ordered a replacement sensor on Ebay , installed it and pulled a vacuum for about 30 minutes. I let the system sit a few hours and all was great.
I added close to a can of 134A, all I could get in.
I have about 70 psi static and when turning on the system, Hi fan, AC button, full cold , nothing happens. The low side sits where it is at 70. I expected to see it drop below 30 psi.. I cleared the codes again and the same 2 came back.
I have a Sanden compressor, and have read of the control valve issues. My connector had the outer locking shell missing , so I ordered a new one. I had nothing to lose, so I cut the wires and measured the DCR of the valve's coil. It was 11 ohms, text book perfect. I started vehicle and connected the control valve to 12 volts. Change, the low side started pulling down, maybe 50 or so, I saw 30 when revving a bit, but still no joy. The high side is not going much over 125 and low side is 50 at best at idle.
I shut the car off and forgot to disconnect the jumped voltage. On restart The starter barely could turn the engine over. I pulled jumper off valve, and heard the pressure bleed off , and car started up fine.
I checked codes and the Climatic controller picked up another code 00898 compressor control valve open or short to plus. So it knew I had it disconnected from the control valve.
So here is what I know by jumping..
Compressor is good, control valve works.
The high side line on compressor gets really hot to touch and low side not pulling down.

I am uncertain about communication between high pressure sender and climatic module as 00819 code never resolved. Same code from original leaky sending unit. I did measure the harness side of 3 pin connection on pressure sender. Pin closest flat side is ground, opposite end bullet side is 14v engine running. I then measured across the 2 ends and it's 14 volts engine running. Car off, the center output PCM wire I measured with my fluke dmm to ground and measured 1.9K ohms.
This tells me my wiring from the sensor to the climatic controller should be good. Climatic control unit is most likely good.

Normally I would suspect a blocked receiver dryer *not fun* or expansion valve issue.
The codes are confusing me. I expected the high pressure switch and DTC controller memory codes to clear and be gone with a charge of refrigerant.

Thank you in advance for any clues.

Last edited:

Lugnut5

TDI
2006 Jetta
Update:
I tested the Old High pressure sending unit by hooking 12 v across the end terminals (of the correct polarity) and putting my positive lead of my Fluke dmm on the center output terminal measured to ground. No 5 volt pulse signal, just .135 volts (135 millivolts ) DC.

This would explain the original 00819 code.
I guess it's possible I got a knockoff Tiawan part on Ebay.

Has anyone hooked a new sensor, open air to the 3 pin G65 connector and cleared the code ?

gtoman1970

TDI
Problem fixed. Thanks for all the replies.
I just read your post and found it helpful as mine is doing a similar thing. May I ask did a new pressure switch fix everything? Also did you have to jumper the solenoid on the compressor to get it to take more Freon? Thank you for your post and any help would be appreciated.