Longest Commute

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I drive 96 miles each way to work, (192 miles a day) 5 days a week ( yes, nearly 1000 miles a week), and figured that there had to be more than a few of the TDI faithful who own their cars because of a high mileage commute.

I figured it would be interesting to find out who drives long distances on a daily, or at least on a regular basis--- So I thought I'd ask.

How long do you drive to work? How long does it take?
For those who work from their car, How many miles a day do you drive in your TDI?

I bet we hear some interesting stories.

sarhog

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I moved.
But when I lived in Murrieta, CA, I drove 73 miles each way to Coronado each day. That was with an 03 Jetta TDI.
Depending on what time I left the house, it would take between 1.5 and 2.5 hours (gotta love the I-15 corridor)!
Now I have a 10 Golf TDI, but I don't commute. I have a "company car" now.

AnsonWilson

TDI
Currently Looking!
I drive 96 miles each way to work, (192 miles a day) 5 days a week ( yes, nearly 1000 miles a week), and figured that there had to be more than a few of the TDI faithful who own their cars because of a high mileage commute.

I figured it would be interesting to find out who drives long distances on a daily, or at least on a regular basis--- So I thought I'd ask.

How long do you drive to work? How long does it take?
For those who work from their car, How many miles a day do you drive in your TDI?

I bet we hear some interesting stories.
Is this a temporary thing, or do you plan on doing that for a long time?

I enjoy my commute, but wow... that's a lot of windshield time just to go to work!

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
NH to CA commute

New Hampshire to San Jose. ~3000 miles.
(I only made that commute twice - once with 05 Passat TDI - once with 06 Jetta TDI.)
My normal commute is a mere 50 miles each way and does not involve California.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
124 km each way, 5 days a week...my job is flexible so I don't have to drive to work if its snowing or bad roads...been doing this for 5 years now...no end in sight...

It takes me about 1hr15min depending on traffic, I live 5 minutes from the highway, and my office is about 5 minutes from the highway at the other end. The highway portion is zero traffic...gotta love the maritimes...I currently have 490,000km (306,000 miles) on the TDI.

78 miles = 124 km

156 miles daily

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Former commute to the office: 62 miles each way. 80 minutes minimum, 5 hours on occasion.
Former commute to client's locations: as much as 1000 miles each way.
Annual miles on my car: 40k ~ 45k miles (plus another 20k in rental car miles for those clients more distant than 1000).

Current commute: 10.19 miles each way. 20 minutes by car, 35 minutes (inbound / downhill), to 50 (homeward / uphill) by bicycle.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
I am 139km from my office. 5 days a week normally, but I do travel a bit.
278km round trip or 172 miles each day.
I'm in the car on average between 2hr 50min and 3 hr 15min each day.
I've been doing it 5 years next month, and since I started, I've put approx 316,000km (196,300 miles) on the two vehicles I've commuted in.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
wow our beetle is on the road 43k a year in just commuting. I used to commute 112 miles one way in my sedan before it was totaled.

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI pk2 5-spd Black/Black
my commute is about 140 miles round trip, 5 days/week. 1 hour and 15 minutes in the am , usually 1.5-2 hrs in the evening. My 06 TDI is now at 130,000 miles and does the job well.

Not the longest commute but very tedious since I drive from Suffolk County Long Island to Nutley NJ. getting thru NYC is actually easy since there are many choices, the worst part for me is once I am going home on the LIE which is a parking lot in places. I used to never see MKV TDI's now I see them daily.

Friday's after work are interesting since in the summer months there is allot of 'hamptons traffic' heading out the east end and that's when the HOV lane moves SLOWER than the regular lanes. of course this would have nothing to do with all the single occupant prius drivers :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
124 miles round trip, five days a week. On a good day an hour and fifteen minutes door to door. My worst commute was the ice storm in Feb. 1994. It took eight hours to get to work at which point I parked and hopped a commuter train for a four hour trip back home.

forester_vw

TDI
2006 Jetta sedan--SOLD 4-1-2011
84 miles one way, 165 miles round trip, five days a week into and out of Portland, Oregon traffic. Thankfully I found this site and related to get comfortable with doing my own maintenance. 100,000+ miles with a Jetta MKV 2006 TDI DSG and going strong.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
I am right there with you Jerry. 96 miles one way. 50k a year.

Paducah, KY to Mt. Vernon, IL.

I told myself I would only work here whilst I looked for and found something else...

5 years later... :rolleyes:

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
183 miles one way, Chesapeake, Va. to Fairfax County, Va. 10 days a month, been doing this for 7 years now since I had to retire my 1990 Vanagon to my 4 day break VW.

Rockcrawler

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta, 03 Ram, 01 IH 8100 with 10.8 Cummins
123 miles each way, just under two hours. It's a temporary?? thing for the next two years. Joint custody of my 16 yr old son, he's in AR and i've got a great job in Tulsa, after no luck in AR. Long days, but worth it to have the time with my son.

The good news it's every other week. I stay in Tulsa/schedule my biz travel the off weeks. So I'm doing about 3000-3500 miles per month. That's not counting the 15-18k /yr hauling to the Jeep races.

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta tdi (gone) 2013 Passat SEL TDI
I commuted 135 miles one way for almost a year, 270 miles a day. I started out with a Chevy Duramax diesel and it was costing me nearly $60 a day. Quickly replaced the truck with a TDI and cut my daily fuel costs to $20. I almost spent more time in the car than I did at work. I work for myself now from my home. A tank in my TDI lasts me nearly 2 months now. Whew!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Until last week I was doing 120km each way or 1200km a week. I'm down to 10km each way now.

I did 100km each way for two years.

Takes too much time away from being productive at work, family etc. :rolleyes:

jettavariant03

Veteran Member
TDI
Candy White 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Street Edition
Jerry,

Roland here from San Clemente, CA. Well good thing I got that Jetta TDI Cup car this year. Since June I started a 110 mile one way commute from San Clemente to Simi Valley, 5 days a week. So, doing the math, it is 220 a day, 1100 a week, 4400 a month, adds up to 52800 a year. I am averaging close to 45 mpg. I bought 5 oil filters since I will be doing my own oil changes. I will run the Jetta for a year and then start looking for another TDI to share the commute with cause I think I will have this job and commute for awhile. Depending on LA traffic I can do the commute in an hour and 45 mins or if bad then it pushes out to 2 hours, thank God for the Satellite radio!

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
You guys are nuts!

I drive 40 miles one way and everyone at work thinks I'm stupid for that. I didn't want to live in Anchorage (where I work). Nice and quiet out here.

Luckily I work a graveyard shift too so I don't deal with traffic. Takes me 35-40 mins from home to work.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Work commute: 52.5 miles each way, total 105 miles/day. 525 miles/week. Home in Nashua, NH to work in Framingham, MA.

I regularly put a few hundred more miles per week in addition to the work commute as part of having a life outside of work. Hanging out with friends up in the Lebanon NH - White River Jct. VT area puts the miles on over the weekends. The total brings me to around 1000 miles/week.

Prior to getting my 02 Golf TDI, I was previously doing the same amount of driving in a 2002 Subaru WRX gas guzzler at 22 MPG. :eek: At 1k miles/week, I definitely NEED a TDI! :cool:

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
Yeah but AWD and the power is sure nice. The VW feels like a kids go cart in terms of power compared to my WRX.

I went from a 15mpg truck to the VW. I was filling my 150 gal fuel tank (have a tank at home) every 2-3 weeks. Now... I might have to think about putting algae killer in it!

Last edited:

rhussjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 CC 3.6 4Motion / 2005 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon 300K+
My commute is 85 miles each way, 5 days a week and have been doing that for two years now. I have logged every tank of fuel and even could tell you how much it cost me (over the cost of fuel) in time to drive that each day. Hopefully I will be able to transfer into a new position before the years end that would cut my commute down to ~30 miles each way.

Byrong

TDI
2005 jetta wagon
We live in the Yukon. 70km on the Alaska Hwy one way to town. 140km to get to work or to do any shopping. The TDI really shine in long commute situations especially when there's no stopping and starting just straight hwy and cruz control. We average 55 mpg to 60mpg on a regular bases do to the open road and no braking.

smck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf man, 2003 golf man
47.5 miles, 21 stop lights, 4stop signs in 1hr 10 min going to work and 49.1 miles, 22 stop lights, 3 stop signs in 1hr 15 to 45 min coming home(traffic dependent). Along with random errands 500+ per week.

Last edited:

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Now My Commute is 60 miles one way to werk. only work weekends though. but commute to school too, next semester It will be about 25 miles to school one way.

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
Now that sucks!

I have 1 stop sign and 1 stop light in the 40 mile drive from home to work. Only time it's a bad drive is if we get a storm. I don't know why but folks around here seem to loose the ability to drive if there is 6" of snow on the ground.

Plus you get tard in the lifted Stupid Duty doing 95 towing a 40ft trailer "my truck is 4wd.. I can go anywhere"... that yard sales the whole setup a mile down the road when he mets up with grandma crawling at 12mph in the left lane... ARGH!

47.5 miles, 21 stop lights, 4stop signs in 1hr 10 min going to work and 49.1 miles, 22 stop lights, 3 stop signs in 1hr 15 to 45 min coming home(traffic dependent). Along with random errands 500+ per week.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
For 33 years and 5 months, I drove to work, 84 miles round-trip (about 50 minutes one way). Also, my work required approximately 1000 miles per month of on the job driving. On some days I drove straight to the job site rather than to the office. Those miles, the commute and other driving totaled on average about 36k miles per year!

In the early years, I was driving a VW Beetle. In 1980, I purchased my first VW Rabbit Diesel.... awesome little car for the day! Sadly, it was one of those years that just could not handle the salt...... after about 295 miles it was a total rust bucket!

In 1987, I found a nice '81 Jetta with a blown engine. I purchased that vehicle and rebuilt the engine........... drove that sucker until 2000... at just under 500k miles on it, I crashed with a deer. Then my brother "loaned" me his '84 Jetta Diesel while I was searching for a good deal on a TDI!

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
For 95-98 - I would go 200 miles to DC for the week, then come home on friday night.

Then I got a job where I was going 45 miles each way, then 60 miles each way every day.

Now I'm going 30 miles each way.

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
I thought my commute was long. 70mi one way. Live in Freeland, work in Bethlehem. last tank of fuel was 50.85 mpg.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Shortest

For 4 years I did 60 miles round trip, about 40 minutes each way.
Now I have a 4 mile drive to work, takes about 5 minutes.
A tank of fuel lasts me at least 6 weeks! :D

Freeekonaleesh2

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
I work for a New Home Inspection company as one of my jobs. Only work 1-2 days and drive between 200-400 miles a week for that job. My boss however works 5 days a week and puts at least 1000+ miles a week on his car. I drive a 2004 Golf TDI. My boss drives a Toyota Corolla Hybrid.