Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Old Navy said:
I the future please use the term "speed Bump". :D
A parking lot I go through has a sign that says 'caution safety bumps'.

I figure they must be talking about all the potholes...

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Fill up today and forgot to put the cap on and close door before pullling away from the pump to allow another guy in a PU pull in, he came running over to stop me from leaving told me my fuel door was open rush up to put it on for me then he saw the cap got a discusted or horrified look and step back.

So I got out of car and said I was just moving to let him get in and he said something to the effect about me paying so much more for fuel. I commented about the fact I had just driven 429 miles in town and had only taken 11.6 gallons to fill. That did shut him up and I added insult to injury by saying not bad for a 2 ton sled.

Last edited:

WaKramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
Ever since gas and diesel prices have gone through the roof, many times when I tank up I'll have someone on the next pump come over and ask me about the kind of mileage I get. The last time I tanked up, a guy came over and I expected him to ask about mileage. Instead he says "Looks like the old Gremlin". I didn't know what to say.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
WaKramer said:
...Instead he says "Looks like the old Gremlin". I didn't know what to say.
I would have asked about his last visit to the eye doctor....:D

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
Here's a story about NOT filling up, although I didn't need it anyway.... last night I saw a Sunoco station with posted prices of $2.83 for regular gasoline and $4.25 for diesel. :eek: I wanted to stop and yell at the guys there for charging such an outrageous price! All the other stations selling diesel around here are in the $3.60 to $3.70 range... which is still comparatively much higher (or gas is comparatively much lower) than it should be. :mad:

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
I filled up yesterday at the NEX fuel station in Norfolk for $3.46. Nothing exciting or new.

Is there anybody around the Newport News/Norfolk area with a Vag-com cable? I need to adjust my IQ.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
speed185187 said:
I filled up yesterday at the NEX fuel station in Norfolk for $3.46. Nothing exciting or new.

Is there anybody around the Newport News/Norfolk area with a Vag-com cable? I need to adjust my IQ.
IQ =2
White hat size 10

Sound abou right?

USN Ret. Loving it till the day they take me to the Old Salior's Home. ;)

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
vwestlife said:
Here's a story about NOT filling up, although I didn't need it anyway.... last night I saw a Sunoco station with posted prices of $2.83 for regular gasoline and $4.25 for diesel. :eek: I wanted to stop and yell at the guys there for charging such an outrageous price! All the other stations selling diesel around here are in the $3.60 to $3.70 range... which is still comparatively much higher (or gas is comparatively much lower) than it should be. :mad:
__. You must be in NY state. For some reason, the fuel retailers there seem insistent on bending diesel customers over the log.

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
Old Navy said:
IQ =2
White hat size 10

Sound abou right?

USN Ret. Loving it till the day they take me to the Old Sailor's Home. ;)
:p lol, yep, that about sums it up on most days.
Unfortunately, I'm waiting until my EOS in 2010 to see where this economy is going to decide if I'm staying in or not.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
speed185187 said:
:p lol, yep, that about sums it up on most days.
Unfortunately, I'm waiting until my EOS in 2010 to see where this economy is going to decide if I'm staying in or not.
Economy rises and falls several times over a career. If you make a career for any reasons other then Duty, Honor and Country, you will never be happy.

Magi'sGolf

TDI
2005 GOLF TDI GLS; 2004 Golf GLS TDI, TOTALLED on her way to western Europe to be parted out.
My best story: I pulled in to the refueling station and drove around looking for the diesel pump.

I parked right behind the fire truck(the big red one) while all the fire fighters were outside milling around the truck. They started to pull out so I pulled up to the pump...one of them got out of the truck and walked to toward me with a smirk on his face..."Hey, honey, you know this is a diesel pump, right?" (He was half my age at LEAST) so I said sweetly and loudly, "Yeah, Baby, I drove over 600 miles, so I need some more." Needless to say, they all laughed and he sauntered back to his little jumpseat that looked like a highchair. THat was also my first fill-up for Blueberry. It was memorable.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Magi'sGolf said:
(snip) THat was also my first fill-up for Blueberry. It was memorable.
__. You'll probably have many more! But you have done a "ventectomy" on your Golf, right? If so, you can tell him "I drove 800 miles and now I need more". ;)

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
When filling up last week, I had not one, but two people, who came up to me to say "Mister, you know that's a diesel pump right?" one was a customer, one was the cashier from the store who walked out. I felt like doing the "oh, crap really" for the poor girl, working the counter, but I was nice as I was still chuckling from the laugh I got from the college boy who walked over to the diesel island to tell me. The same thing not 2 minutes earlier. :p

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
So I drive by the local Stop and Save convenience store in Castro Valley, and saw that diesel was only $3.25 ( cheap for California)....and noticed that there was a newsstation broadcast van, as well as a small line. Gasoline was ONLY $2.99, so there was a small 5 car line . The white haired owner was at the pumps, directing traffic and PUMPING the fuel for customers.

I already had filled my tank with B100, but took out two jerry cans and proceeded to fill up with the good priced diesel...and heard the owner answer one of the customers question: " Well, I may not be making much money, but it is the right thing to do...and I am helping pump the gas"

Went home, checked internet gas prices for the SF Bay Area, and only 5 gas stations had fuel this cheap.

(yes, you guys from outside California have it relatively good).

rydogg

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
highender said:
yes, you guys from outside California have it relatively good.
Crimeny! I don't know what you're talking about but I just filled up with ULSD last night here in Indiana for $3.45/gal:mad:. I'd take your California prices any day of the week. You don't have it nearly as bad as you think haus.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
rydogg said:
Crimeny! I don't know what you're talking about but I just filled up with ULSD last night here in Indiana for $3.45/gal:mad:. I'd take your California prices any day of the week. You don't have it nearly as bad as you think haus.
Oh good grief man, you are right.

from the sound of it, prices are still high enough around the country.

Here we always had a history of having the highest prices in the nation. But it would seem that we should not complain.

Let us pump up the tires, go easy on gas pedal...and induce the oil cartels to lower prices..

shagin'wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora
Diesel here in Alberta is sitting at $1.13/Liter.:mad: You guys have it cheap down there...(if you can call it cheap):rolleyes: They say there is a spike in demand, thus causing a shortage, thus the high price...:confused:oh and also the refinery that produces the diesel in Edmonton is down until the end of the month. They are rationing the diesel for the truckers at 200 liters.:eek:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Filled up last night on the way home. $3.29 just over the border in NJ (still see $4+ in NY 15 miles away).

Dropped $.30 since my last fillup about 9 days ago. What sucks is I put $75+ in my truck less than 2 weeks ago at $3.79 and the alternator went out on the way home so I haven't used it since!

txpigeon

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, his (Tornado Red early MY) & hers (Mohave Beige late MY)
I was on a little "test drive" yesterday. I went by a Fina station that had D2 for 3.27 and thought about stopping on my way back. Up the road, there was an Exxon at the same price, so I filled up (16.515 gal, 837 miles). When I went by the Fina on the way home, it was down to 3.19! At least the prices are headed in the right direction, for now.

Duane