injector replacement

maintenance dude

TDI
2011 volkswagen Jetta tdi
whats up all! i have a 2011 volkswagen jetta tdi wagon that, according to dealership, crapped the high pressure fuel pump out. instead of paying the 6k for them to repair decided to tackle this myself. i have replaced the HPFP with no problems. i took the injectors out to have tested and they all failed. i have seen online that new injectors must be adapted via VCDS? if i order injectors and put them in car and try to crank, will it start and run decent enough to drive to dealership for a tune or will i have to tow it to back to dealer? i'd really like to get it running to show off to the family ya know.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well first, if you are doing that level of work to the car, you really should invest the small amount in some sort of scan tool like VCDS.

However, the engine will start and run without the injector values input, it just won't run as good as it could/should.

And I assume the timing belt was set correctly with the tools when you did the pump?

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
did you flush the fuel system to get rid on any foreign particles in it?

maintenance dude

TDI
i did indeed purchase the requisite tools to set the timing correctly. Also, i did clean out the filter housing and replaced filter accordingly. other than that, i just cranked and left the lines cracked to purge out any other debris. i'm sure the injectors caught all the muck. They seem to be the last line of defense. Fuel from HPFP goes into fuel rail, into individual lines and into injectors. i feel pretty good about it???...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The rail, and thus the rail pressure sensor and rail pressure regulator (the gizmos with the electrical connectors on them at either end of the rail) will be full of debris. You *might* get by with just cleaning the sensor, but the regulator not so much. I replace both. You can clean the rail and blow it clean.

There is an inlet screen to the HPFP, it is part of the inlet line assembly. That little plastic puffy D-shaped thing on the line. That should be replaced.

The injector return line assembly, with its little check valve, should be replaced. This is the thing that clips on to each injector and then returns to the return pipe back to the filter.

ALL the hoses and pipes under the hood need to be removed, thoroughly blown out, and cleaned.

You can gamble on the auxiliary electric fuel pump under the hood. They are actually pretty tough. Still, you'll want to run it backwards and flush clean fuel through it, then run it forwards again, flushing again. Make sure it makes no strange noises. If it makes any sort of irregular grating sound, replace it.

I would for sure replace the lift pump in the tank. And swish a magnet on a string or trimmer line around the inside of the tank to catch all the metal particles in there (obviously only will work for the steel stuff, but that is usually what most of it is anyway).

Blow both the lines from the tank to the underhood area out with compressed air thoroughly, pushing it reverse of its flow. So blue line gets blown from the back forward, black line from under hood to the back. Tie a rag around the end of the line when you do this so you can inspect for any particles. If you see any, do it again.

Then once the engine is running again, plan to replace the fuel filter again in ~100 miles or so, and inspect the bottom of the filter canister for any debris. If you find any, clean out the canister before putting the new filter element back in.

maintenance dude

TDI
information can be hard to find on these so the more that is out there the better. i was concerned about installing new injectors and the ECM not being able to recognize them because i don't have a VCDS to program them in, and thus i'd have to tow it to dealership for programming. The car will start and run pretty damn good with new injectors.