Slipping Clutch after delete/tune - go back to stock?

Koloss

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I figure it's worth a shot.

In early May, I did the Rawtek ECO exhaust kit and a Malone Stage 1 on my 2015 GSW 6MT. A few days ago I noticed some odd behavior when I was stomping it in the torque band, and over the past two days I've determined the stock clutch is slipping (I've had a clutch slip in past vehicles so I'm 99% that's what is going on).

Anyway, I like the Rawtek & Malone combo, but had I known the all-in cost to go this route, I can't say I'd do it again. I know this sounds crazy on an enthusiast board, but would reverting back to stock (all emissions back on and remove the tune) effectively "fix" the slipping clutch, or once it starts, does it go out regardless of power levels?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Going back will not stop it but it may slow it down if you stop stomping on it. The stock clutch will not handle the power if you are constantly stomping on it. You can leave it alone and drive normally and it will be okay. Or you can change the clutch out to something more appropriate.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
If you upgrade your clutch.... you can go malone stage 2 >:)

honestly though, if your clutch started slipping with the stage 1, I'd imagine it was getting fairly tired anyways.

Koloss

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Going back will not stop it but it may slow it down if you stop stomping on it. The stock clutch will not handle the power if you are constantly stomping on it. You can leave it alone and drive normally and it will be okay. Or you can change the clutch out to something more appropriate.

I assumed that would be the case :(

Now to find out how bad the NVH can be on a diesel, with a single mass flywheel, stage 2 clutch, and rear engine mount insert with the AC on :(

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Once it starts slipping it can get glazed and then nothing will help much other than a new one. Why go SMF? IIRC there are better DMF out there.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Do NOT put a SMF on your car..it WILL beat your synchros to death and will need replacing in short order. You would be lucky to get 20k miles out of it. These newer 02Q transmissions have steel synchros (not brass like in the older ones and 02M gearboxes), and the vibration pulses will eventually break the tabs off of the synchros leaving you without the respective gear.

Ask Mark to dial back your fueling just a little to save your current clutch, should not cost much or anything to adjust the tune. If you decide to upgrade, grab a Sachs SRE organic disc and fresh DMF..it's a fantastic clutch with 400ft-lb capacity.

Oh, and your slipping..is it the revs increasing without a matching acceleration? Or, is it a shaking vibration below 2300rpm? If the latter, you have an aging DMF and/or the added torque with your tune is having it bottom out in the spring travel of the two masses of flywheel.

Last edited:

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
NO SINGLE MASS FLYWHEEL!!!!! like stated above you will be throwing a trans in quick. Get a Sachs HD clutch kit or get a south bend and upgrade your tune.

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I figure it's worth a shot.

In early May, I did the Rawtek ECO exhaust kit and a Malone Stage 1 on my 2015 GSW 6MT. A few days ago I noticed some odd behavior when I was stomping it in the torque band, and over the past two days I've determined the stock clutch is slipping (I've had a clutch slip in past vehicles so I'm 99% that's what is going on).

Anyway, I like the Rawtek & Malone combo, but had I known the all-in cost to go this route, I can't say I'd do it again. I know this sounds crazy on an enthusiast board, but would reverting back to stock (all emissions back on and remove the tune) effectively "fix" the slipping clutch, or once it starts, does it go out regardless of power levels?
that's a big if, if the the clutch is slipping from being old then its done but if its because you just don't have enough pressure to hold the power you are putting out then its a very possible save if you downgrade everything back.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I wouldn't put anything back on the car, that seems like a nightmare.
The difference in power between a stock tune and a deleted tune is not all that much, but tuners know what to do to limit low end torque just a touch to save DMF shudder and it would be the same approach for the clutch. If the tune was dialed down just a little, and it started slipping again..time to upgrade

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Upgrade the clutch to the best you can afford. Stage 2 or 3 max street church of your choice.
Once it starts slipping its toast. No going back. Have the flywheel turned if it's in good shape or just replace it. Some go lighter on the flywheel but I'm not big into these newer cars so best to check with others. Imo go with a quality upgrade that will handle anything you can afford in the future. It's the one part that you should future proof as far as street drivability should go.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The Sachs SRE kit would be ideal, but a new stock clutch should hold that tune for a good long time. The stock clutch held my Malone stage 3 tune for over 50K miles.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
If I was going in there I would get something better than stock, just in case.
Totally agree, and the Sachs in my opinion couldn't feel any more stock like with the added comfort that nobody is likely to ever break the 400ft-lb rating with an EA288 unless they're running nitrous.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Koloss

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Do NOT put a SMF on your car..it WILL beat your synchros to death and will need replacing in short order. You would be lucky to get 20k miles out of it. These newer 02Q transmissions have steel synchros (not brass like in the older ones and 02M gearboxes), and the vibration pulses will eventually break the tabs off of the synchros leaving you without the respective gear.

Ask Mark to dial back your fueling just a little to save your current clutch, should not cost much or anything to adjust the tune. If you decide to upgrade, grab a Sachs SRE organic disc and fresh DMF..it's a fantastic clutch with 400ft-lb capacity.

Oh, and your slipping..is it the revs increasing without a matching acceleration? Or, is it a shaking vibration below 2300rpm? If the latter, you have an aging DMF and/or the added torque with your tune is having it bottom out in the spring travel of the two masses of flywheel.

That's crappy to hear about the SMF =( The cost of the whole clutch + flywheel is crazy on this platform. Thanks greatly for that info, it might have saved me the transmission.

The slipping is the first one; revs increasing without a matching acceleration. No shaking occurring.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
When my MkVI got totalled, upgraded turbo, tune, SMF clutch, fluidampr,
etc etc, I bought a MkIV. End of problems. Lol, not what you want to hear
I'm sure.

Koloss

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Seems like the best option is doing with a quality DMF + strong clutch, which would allow me room to upgrade more power stuff (if desired) OR dial back the tune and pray :p

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
The Sachs SRE kit would be ideal, but a new stock clutch should hold that tune for a good long time. The stock clutch held my Malone stage 3 tune for over 50K miles.
man lucky you, my stage 2 southbend daily didnt even hold stage 4 for a couple months:(

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
just reduce the torque limit map to where it won't slip (never been in a CR file, but I'd assume they got a comparable limiter map)
lots of times you can slip a perfectly fine clutch with a peaky enough tune
pretty easy with a bitty stock turbo to make stupid torque spikes

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
NO SINGLE MASS FLYWHEEL!!!!! like stated above you will be throwing a trans in quick. Get a Sachs HD clutch kit or get a south bend and upgrade your tune.
not trying to start anything but southbend is a single mass flywheel?

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
That seems strange. Elaborate what happend?
stock one couldn't even handle a week on that tune from Malone ( which I love btw)first month help strong no problems at all with the stage 2 daily, I and then bam started slipping in 5th then 4th then slowly just started getting worse, it didn't make much sense at all to me, but stage 3 endurance is now installed no issues so lets leave that headache in the past LOL

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
stock one couldn't even handle a week on that tune from Malone ( which I love btw)first month help strong no problems at all with the stage 2 daily, I and then bam started slipping in 5th then 4th then slowly just started getting worse, it didn't make much sense at all to me, but stage 3 endurance is now installed no issues so lets leave that headache in the past LOL
Probably an install error or a leak or not properly bedding in the flywheel to the clutch.

I run a stage 6 custom (all the fuel I can get) with water/meth 2 stage pre and post turbo shots, tons of head work, 32psi on a gt2052, 764pp stage 3 pop tuned, all to make 230hp at the rear wheels. I ran a south bend stage 2 enduro clutch. Never once slipped on me. Ever.
You clearly did not break it in properly.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I looked on IDparts lastnight and saw that they sell a southbend stage 2 endurance with a DMF but it comes with a heavy price. Some where over $2400.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked on IDparts lastnight and saw that they sell a southbend stage 2 endurance with a DMF but it comes with a heavy price. Some where over $2400.
Which is why I asked SBC about the flywheel. Thought maybe it was magical. No clue why that kit costs what it does.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Me either that’s crazy money for not much of an upgrade. I think they use sachs pressure plates and rebuild them with their parts. I like south bend but holy heck that’s a waste.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Which is why I asked SBC about the flywheel. Thought maybe it was magical. No clue why that kit costs what it does.
same as snapon
overenthusiastic warranty with expected abuse beyond reasonable parameters