Whooshing sound in dash under load...

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
So, I recently came across this "issue". I have a 2002 New Beetle. When driving the car and shifting gears, I get this "whooshing" sound...sounds like it's coming from somewhere in my dash. Almost like I turn the defrost vents on high. Then as it levels out...it goes away. I shift into the next gear, it comes back.

I don't notice anything as far as lack in power on the car. 260k miles on the car. Original turbo with original hoses. I'm assuming it's some kind of vacuum leak in one of those very old hoses. So my question is, how to do I go about finding which hose it is? It only makes this sound under load. I've tried revving the engine and if it does make the noise its VERY faint compared to when actually driving the car. I have noticed an excessive amount of greyish smoke out the back. My car has always been a heavy smoker (been telling it to quit...but I'll be honest...it's fun to smoke people out when they are too close) so I didn't think anything of it at first. Of course, now the smoke is almost like a dense fog as cars behind me drive through it...

So any advice on how to trouble shoot where this issue is coming from or maybe common failed parts would be great. :) I'll be getting a turbo upgrade soon, but would rather fix this leak before then.

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Nvm, I was able to source the leak. The pipe to the EGR had a nice big slit in the side of it, causing the wooshing sound as well as spewing oil all over the inside of the hood. And little did I realize I was missing so much power too. I just assumed the turbo was getting old. :)

thzpcs

TDI
2008 Golf TDI
It's good that you figured it out before it caused too many issues! A new pipe is a lot better than a new turbo.