Help! ARL TDI cranks but very often it won't start

Fullhouse

TDI
Golf 4 ARL
Hi there !

I hope somebody can help me out here :).

First things first: 1 month ago my PD injectors were taken out and cleaned in an ultrasonic bath.
With new seals the PD injectors were adjusted, because after my stud broke down from my tensioner (timing belt) they mounted a new head on the engine but the adjustment of the PD injectors weren't correct.
I felt it because I had loss of power and when I hit the brakes it felt as if my brakediscs were crooked.

So after a good adjustment and new seals the car cranked and started normally.
But few days later the car started more difficult (the crank was good though).
It took about 5 seconds to fire up the engine.
This problem lasted for one week, untill I fueled up the tank. After that the car would not start.
So I pulled my key out and turned it back on again and the engine fired immediately.

I have replaced my fuel filter (2 months ago) with new seals and the T valve on the filter.
I have checked the liftpump in the tank. I pulled out a fuel hose and turned the key on and diesel was coming out.
I also checked the coolant sensor (pulled the plug) but when I did that, the engine started later as usual.
I also replaced the 109 relay last week and I thought my problems were solved, but unfortunately today my engine would not start after I came home from my job.
The car cranked but no start, So I pulled the key out and turned it back on, the engine fired immediately.

It seems like when the engine is cold, the engine starts immediately but when the engine is hot, sometimes the engine would not fire.

I really dont know what the problem is. :(

Fullhouse

TDI
Golf 4 ARL
Nobody can help me out here?

It happens from time to time when the engine is hot.
There are no faults..I have scanned it with vagcom.

I read something that the crankshaft sensor or the camshaft sensor could be faulty..

Fullhouse

TDI
Golf 4 ARL
I just found out today when I scanned it for faults with vagcom.
I will replace the sensor as soon as possible..
On Dutch forums they say when I replace it..the problem will solved.

Fullhouse

TDI
Golf 4 ARL
I replaced the cranksensor about a week ago..
The engine cranks 3-4 seconds and fires then..
Mostly when the engine is hot, but sometimes with a cold engine it does the same..

Still don't know what the problem is..

Found this on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2TYKGEYvmw
My car does exactly the same sometimes..
In the description it says put 12v on the place where the fuse is coming out and then it starts much better (notice that the engine chokes a bit)

What kind of mod is this ?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Did you ever replace the coolant temperature sensor? The newer ones are green. When I unplugged mine the engine cranked a few seconds longer than usual.

Fullhouse

TDI
Golf 4 ARL
Did you ever replace the coolant temperature sensor? The newer ones are green. When I unplugged mine the engine cranked a few seconds longer than usual.
I have already a new coolant sensor..
It is not the sensor because my engine still cranks long even when the plug is pulled out.

Fullhouse

TDI
Golf 4 ARL
I don't know much but could your ASV be getting sticky when the engine is warm? Happened to my 02 Jetta

Anti shudder valve is not sticking...
In the mean time I have applied the TPI2007067 mod..
I will post it when the engine is still cranking with a long cranktime..

Fullhouse

TDI
Golf 4 ARL
Still the same problem..

I get it also when the engine is cold..

It happened 2 times after I modified the cables from my cranksensor to the ECU.

I put the key in the ignition switch, turn the key, the engine cranks but no start..
Pull the key out and put it back in, turn the key and the engine starts !