ABS light on after new struts, tires, alignment - HELPt

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
After installing new struts and tie rods my ABS and ESP light stay on constantly

VCDS reading codes 00283 front left, 003 mechanical failure

I checked the sensor by reading the OHMS and it showed it was still good condition so i dont think the sensor randomly went out...

I am going to try to take from the passenger sensor and plug in to the driver to see if it fixes it at all; any other ideas why this happened?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The sensors are right and left specific. The wiring may have been damaged during installation of the struts.

In vcds you can see the actual speed that the sensors are showing. I forget which module it is but you should be able to find it if you are reading the abs codes.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
how do i know the sensor itself is bad? It keeps showing me that the driver side is bad but it looks great and i tested the OHMS and it reads intact

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
how do i know the sensor itself is bad? It keeps showing me that the driver side is bad but it looks great and i tested the OHMS and it reads intact
Since the code is for an electrical fault, I assume it comes back immediately when cleared, as opposed to only coming back after driving the car. In that case clear the code and replace the sensor with a 1.2k resistor. If the code comes back, wiring is faulty. If it does not, sensor is faulty.

Simon

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
it will stay cleared until i drive the car and make the ESP activate or ABS triggered; then i need to clear it again for it to not constantly stay on

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon