Bad luck with BP???

Polar_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Golf c/w package silver
Over the last 6 months, I have been getting fuel at various different stations. Everytime I fill up at BP, I get horrible mileage. I also notice it runs crappy at idle on cold mornings even after warmed up. Anyone else have bad luck with BP?

schwechel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Galactic Blue
I've had my TDI for almost 6 months now, and always used BP, but I had to be careful to only go to a select BP in my area that advertised the Premium Diesel. Then again, things in WI might be different than in NC. So I guess someone in your area might be better able to help you out. FYI, I normally get about 47/50 mpgs. What do you consider horrible mileage??

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
Sorry to say but just because the station has Brand X on the pump that doesn't mean that Brand X D-2 is coming out of the hose although some stations will have " using Brand X fuels " some where on the pump then you might be getting Brand X. Some stations buy fuel from the cheapest supplier or who ever is running a tanker to Hooterville on a regular basis. Shop around or try a see where the tanker comes from and give them a call and ask what fuel does the BP station order and what cetane. BTW where is this station?
Paul
aka Jump62

Polar_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, it is a BP station, but pumps Amoco products. I know of other BPs that do not pump Amoco, but this is the only BP in my area. When I fill at Exxon, Pilot, Sonoco, I will get 450 +/- 20 at the half tank mark. With the BP fuel, I will not even see 300 before half tank.

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
yep sounds like this BP station is getting the " Mad Dog 20-20 " of diesel fuel and if you are getting only 300 miles at 1/2 tank it's the fuel. Is this station around Ft. Dragg proper or around one of the cities? Why I ask is I plan to come down and visit the new museum and would like to avoid it. Back in the late 70s I was stationed there and had a 78 Rabbit Diesel, could fill it for $5 and it would burn rotgut or mil diesel when it needed to, on-post didn't sell D-2 at the time.
Paul
aka Jump62

WisTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
none now; formerly had an '03 Jetta GLS
schwechel said:
I've had my TDI for almost 6 months now, and always used BP, but I had to be careful to only go to a select BP in my area that advertised the Premium Diesel. Then again, things in WI might be different than in NC. So I guess someone in your area might be better able to help you out. FYI, I normally get about 47/50 mpgs. What do you consider horrible mileage??
I don't believe the folks in the NC area get Amoco Premier Diesel (premium diesel). Sounds like it's regular rotgut #2.

Find a station that dispenses ALOT of diesel, try it, and if you get good results, try to stick with the location. Also, can you opt for bio-diesel?

During my TDI ownership, I've found about 4 stations along (or slightly out of) my commute route that work for me. All sell Premier diesel and I've had good luck with them. If one station tries to get greedy in price, I'll use the others.

Polar_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ya, I normally try to fill up at the truck stops just off of or very near I95. The BP is a local in-town station. The other stations in town I have hit tend to give me a bit more smoke, but the mileage from them compared to the truckstop diesel is almost unnoticable. As far as the biodiesel goes, nearest station is @65 miles away. :mad:

bender16v

TDI
05 Golf
Ihave noticed that I get poorer economy from most BP fuels. Even the premium carried around here. I did have good luck with one station in West Branch, MI that had premium that already had Power Service added to it!

Croberts

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
I only use BP because it was recommended on this site. Six BP's within 15 miles of me and all turn their fuel over very quickly. I've had a 700 mile non-vented tank on my '03 Jetta so the MPG's are just fine for me with BP. They also have the lowest price in the area too.

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL Reflex Silver 5 speed. Ventectomy, coolant migration mod, Hella Comets, FK air ducts.
I run BP #2 almost exclusively, and have had very good luck with it. Best tankful-846.1 miles. I do buy it at a station which has high truck traffic and moves a lot of fuel.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
I tried BP when I first got my TDI. I got poor mileage... maybe 5% lower than others, not 30% lower like you are talking about. I avoided BP for a long time. Then, my regular station started having pump problems, so I started going to a different BP station (a brand-new one). I have been getting better mileage on -this- BP fuel.

Both of the BP stations advertised "Amoco Premier Diesel" or some such name. I don't think that first station was actually dispensing a premium diesel fuel.

I have never heard of someone getting 30% lower mileage on a different fuel. That's a huge difference... are you sure those numbers are correct? Maybe the BP station pump cuts off too soon?

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
Polar_TDI said:
Well, it is a BP station, but pumps Amoco products. I know of other BPs that do not pump Amoco, but this is the only BP in my area.
All BP stations sell Amoco fuels. Amoco is BP's brand name for the fuel.

It's nearly impossible to get 30% less mileage with a Diesel unless something is grossly wrong. Then it's a most likely a problem at that station, not some coporate wide differance in fuel. Most D2 is fungible anyway, so all the stations in you area could be from the same source. NC is mostly pipeline feed from Texas.

Last edited: