Hazard switch

Grapeape

TDI
05 jetta tdi
The other day I was driving and my hazard switch started smoking then I lost the use of it. After the smoke stopped it wouldnt work anymore and my signals wont work. I checked all the fuses i think the ones related to the hazard and the signals and there all good. If i replace the burntout switch will my signals work again.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
^^^ exactly what i was thinking. Maybe the signals route through this. But if you know its bad, and this switch has constant power.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
this is why i always carry a fire extinguisher in my car. not a small one either, a BIG MOFO. i've seen too many car fires in my life. can't say you got lucky or not. still, might want to consider getting one!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I'll second the extinguisher - had a sticking rear caliper light the brake grease on fire a year or two back, was not fun scrambling for a spray bottle of window cleaner and hoping it was enough to put it out...

chickensoup2180

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW)
ok well, I sent my hazard switch to heaven lol. My indicator dont work. It right away blows the fuse until i put a 20amp fuse in f39 and my hazard switch went up in white nasty smelling smoke.

My question is, how can i use a power probe to act as the hazard relay? I dont want to buy another hazard switch and destroy that one. Ive been told its probably a short in my headlights but im not sure where to look in the headlights other than the pig tail.

thanks

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
ok well, I sent my hazard switch to heaven lol. My indicator dont work. It right away blows the fuse until i put a 20amp fuse in f39 and my hazard switch went up in white nasty smelling smoke.

My question is, how can i use a power probe to act as the hazard relay? I dont want to buy another hazard switch and destroy that one. Ive been told its probably a short in my headlights but im not sure where to look in the headlights other than the pig tail.

thanks
Go to a pick and pull and get one cheap and install it…..gas / diesel they are both the same….
If you smoke check that one then you have an issue…..if not your cars fixed….

chickensoup2180

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW)
issue was the wiring INside the headlight housing. wiring literally disintegrated upon mere touch. So i ordered some smoked out projector assemblies. Also bought a NEW hazard switch. Figured why would i buy a OEM switch when they are known for burning out?