Hello and Please help power steering gone after battery change

RhinoHammer

TDI
GTD 14 , 1.9TDI 07
Hi Hope someone can help.

Have recently changed the battery on my Mrs Golf Mrk5 since then the power steering light has been on. I have attempted to reconfig the power steering but seems to be stuck in ABS test mode. Also Steering measure blocks shows 0 all the time.

What else can i try Thanks
Gareth?

VAG Is showing

03-ABS Brakes -- Status: Malfunction 0010
44-Steering Assist -- Status: Malfunction 0010

2 Faults Found:
01486 - System Function Test Activated
000 - -
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation

2 Faults Found:
02546 - Steering Limit Stop
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 154240 km
Temperature: 32.0°C
Voltage: 12.20 V
Voltage: 12.00 V

00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
000 - -
Freeze Frame:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If the battery has been disconnected you have to drive the car to re-adapt the steering and ESP/ABS. All the codes are telling you is that the steering has no clue were it is at. After reconnecting my battery, my 2006 steering will re-adapt within about 2 blocks from home and the steering and ESP/ABS lights will go out.

Also,you have to reset window pinch protection by lowering the the windows all the way down and then raising the windows all the way up.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Having AAA is nice. And their 5 year battery was low cost, and fast enough to get my wife to work only 45 minutes late. (Her ol' Camry)

But I do wonder (worry) about any problems IF I do the "FIX" on my 2015, regarding a battery replacement. I had to replace my 2003 Golf battery. Got it at a wally world. .... then had to go to VW dealership. dashboard was 'bout dead

When my battery poops out, might just have AAA transport it to local dealer, and pony up the extra do re me for a VW battery and reset job.:eek:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
"FIX" on my 2015, regarding a battery replacement. I had to replace my 2003 Golf battery. Got it at a wally world. .... then had to go to VW dealership. dashboard was 'bout dead
When my battery poops out, might just have AAA transport it to local dealer, and pony up the extra do re me for a VW battery and reset job. :eek:
Do you have a multimeter and understand basic electricity? batteries usually don't suddenly just "poop out". If you know what to look for, you can replace it before it dies.

There is no magical "reset" the dealer has to do to the car after battery replacement. You just re-adapt the window pinch protection and drive off. The steering and ESP/ABS lights will turn off in about 2 blocks of driving.

Last edited:

RhinoHammer

TDI
GTD 14 , 1.9TDI 07
If the battery has been disconnected you have to drive the car to re-adapt the steering and ESP/ABS.
Thanks Ol'Rattler, i have attempted several drives hoping the car would re-adapt but it seems as there is no reading from the steering sensor, reads 0 at what ever angle the steering wheel is at.

I think this G85 sensor has failed and the car is unable to calibrate the ABS or Power steering without this sensor working...

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Have you done the adaptation of G85? See this page: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00778
And find your car in this list and follow the steering angle section under "Brake Electronics"

Try searching in Google for the fault code + VCDS and the Rosstech wiki page will pop up with usually details instructions for each code.
For your codes, these would be:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01486
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00778
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/02546

Not sure if any of those help or not. You can always e-mail Rosstech, too (with full auto scan), I have found them to be very helpful in situations like these.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Do you have a multimeter and understand basic electricity?
.... I have zero equipment, and as dumb as mud. :p:mad::(

batteries usually don't suddenly just "poop out". If you know what to look for, you can replace it before it dies.
usually? .. not much help with that happy talk fails :eek:

..... last 2 (in the family) batteries did just that. poop out.

..... have a life long habit of getting the strongest, longest, most expensive battery. Mostly at wally world or SAM's ~~~ always watching for a "slowing" of the crank speed. Always worked for me up until lately.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I assume you have the 80amp DC power steering motor.

A common fault with the system is the ground wire. This large wire goes from the motor on the sub frame to the left body frame, to a point just in front of the radiator mounting, under the air cleaner housing. The wire is usually purple or lavender, but seems to fade to a dirty brown.

Remove the acorn nut, clean the contact and apply Nickel grease paste, like the type used for aluminum residential wiring. It is an excellent contact paste and keep any future corrosion out of the connection.

You can alternatively use anti-seize like Permatex; .3oz tube for $9, but we prefer a $12, 6oz can we bought from the local commercial electrical contractor outlet... $3 more and 20x as much... seems worth it.

While you are fixing the big ground, I believe there are three other acorn nuts in the immediate area you should grease, as that will be a preemptive correction to any future corrosion problems at those points. The big wire and it's large amperage usually just happens sooner.

00SamIAm00

TDI
2014 Sportwagen w/sunroof and sound
I assume you have the 80amp DC power steering motor.

A common fault with the system is the ground wire. This large wire goes from the motor on the sub frame to the left body frame, to a point just in front of the radiator mounting, under the air cleaner housing. The wire is usually purple or lavender, but seems to fade to a dirty brown.

Remove the acorn nut, clean the contact and apply Nickel grease paste, like the type used for aluminum residential wiring. It is an excellent contact paste and keep any future corrosion out of the connection.

You can alternatively use anti-seize like Permatex; .3oz tube for $9, but we prefer a $12, 6oz can we bought from the local commercial electrical contractor outlet... $3 more and 20x as much... seems worth it.

While you are fixing the big ground, I believe there are three other acorn nuts in the immediate area you should grease, as that will be a preemptive correction to any future corrosion problems at those points. The big wire and it's large amperage usually just happens sooner.
Hey Frank, when you say left side, is that the driver side (American)? Would that possibly include the 2014 Sportwagen TDi? Just changed clutch/flywheel, and now have "RED STEERING WHEEL" fault but also ECS and TPMS. None will clear.... Would like to get your thoughts. Someone also mentioned replacing the multifuse...